Well.....It's official, it was a BORING BOREFEST ZZZZZZZ!!

Posted by mortal 
From F1fanatic

Rate the 2010 Bahrain Grand Prix out of 10

* 1 - Terrible (7%, 316 Votes)
* 2 - Rubbish (4%, 196 Votes)
* 3 - Boring (23%, 1,105 Votes)
* 4 - Uninteresting (10%, 463 Votes)
* 5 - A bit dull (24%, 1,145 Votes)
* 6 - Not bad (15%, 706 Votes)
* 7 - Good (11%, 540 Votes)
* 8 - Great (4%, 212 Votes)
* 9 - Fantastic (1%, 62 Votes)
* 10 - Perfect (1%, 100 Votes)

Total Voters: 4,845

Even my mate who came over for a few ales and stayed on to watch the race though it was boring as bats**t! It wasn't a race, it was all about conserving tyres, keeping the engine cool and making it to the finish line. Bring back fat tyres, bring back less downforce & reduce the aero, maybe then we'll see some racing, instead of a procession to the finish line. Not a lot of overtaking anymore because they will overheat running in the dirty air of the car in front. The fact that Bahrain is a shocker of a track probably didn't help either. Fortunately I watched the Clipsal 500 in the arvo, now that was motor racing! The V8 Supercars went around the Adelaide track 300klmh and you couldn't have put a razor blade between them they were that close! F1 is supposed to be at the pointy end of motor sport, I hope Melbourne is better.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
The BBC has a video clip called "Bahrain Grand Prix in 90 seconds" and even that is boring......
I think we need more patience. The fact that Vettel had the problem made it boring. If not, Alonso qouls have tried some manouvres, and probably the final rounds would have looked better. It is only one race. Last year we had some awful races as well.
I think double or quad defusers need banning now and as mortal said, bring back the big tyres! You know the ones that you use for racing, not for conserving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 03:47PM by madotter.
Whatever rules you put, I'm more inclined to believe this just reflects the times we live in, F1 is just too precise, too maximized. Things that in the past weren't possible to calculate, to determinate... nowadays they have it just so predictable, everything is predicted, is a math it's possible to check the number of outcomes and be prepared in beforehand for them, they're always in the edge with these analysis and technology, and then unless there's one or other outside variable (weather, crashes, etc..) added to this equation there's not many room left nowadays pratically for one factor that was present back in the day in the majority of the parts to take into account: "the unknown".

Try a new set of rules and teams will inevitably find a way to make everything in it as predictable as possible and determinate it with all the variant ways , in the era of the technology there's not a place for what we don't know.
JohnnyFiama Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The BBC has a video clip called "Bahrain Grand
> Prix in 90 seconds" and even that is boring......

LMFAO! Epic line! :D

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Snoozefest ... Conservation seems the most important thing instead of going fast. If it's not the engine, then it's the transmission, or fuel, or tires, or ... (fill in the blank).
Unless something is done, and done asap, F1 is going down the gurgler. Some said..."There was plenty of overtaking." Yeah right, when some of the teams are ten seconds off the pace and the guy in front loses power, of course there's overtaking, it's not exactly rocket science to figure that out. I can't see how Melbourne is going to be any better, and I really do hope I'm proved wrong.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
So, imagine. If Valencia 2008 (the dullest race of the 2008 season, which was a fantastic season) had been the season opener, would there have been similar outcry? Yes. Because people are stupid and shallow.
One big huge FANTASTIC BORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And to think I spent some money to ensure nice TV coverage .......................

Lucky I can go Nascar, Indy and Rallying

No refueling = limited options and limited options = just about ZERO variables. Most going for ONE (take note ONE) pit stop and only because they have to run both their chosen tyre options else the pit crews could have backed up and gone home so long.

Just noticed how fast asleep the poor Ferrari mechanics were and they scored a ONE-TWO !!!!! ?????

Nope, mister Ecclestone me things you guys got it wrong ......................................

Mark Webber reckons that overtaking is now an even further into the sci-fi then ever before.

Bore-rain to Aus-me-boralia ??????? I really hope not, cause by the time we head off to Another-boring-lysia and long before the night frills of Single-poor, just how many "fans" would have turned off TV-F1 ????

Pleeeezzzzz letme be WRONG .................. pleeeeezzzzzzzzz !!!!!
Nickv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, imagine. If Valencia 2008 (the dullest race of
> the 2008 season, which was a fantastic season) had
> been the season opener, would there have been
> similar outcry? Yes. Because people are stupid and
> shallow.

However, if in 2008 we had Valencia as a season opener, people would've been concentrating more on the refueling and how many seconds did each driver have on one another.

With this year, they just have to get the 2 pitstop rule in. It seems the simplest option because you can't go back on the rules of refueling. and it's the cheapest option if you'd like the team have.
We have always been blessed by an aussi start... a race which will always provide a good race. Name me one that wasnt??

I'd be supprised if Aus was as boring as Bahrain, but after who knows?

I think the teams, RedBull, Ferrari, Mclaren and Merc are closer than what appeared in Bahrain. Mclaren clearly went wrong on setup, but as Lewis showed the car had good pace. Ferrari kept well in touch of Vettel whilst Merc were about equal with Mclaren, well Jenson.

I think once eveybody finds that sweet-spot of their car we will see races as close as before... Its my hope that the current Mclaren follows the MP4-25... in that once that hidden pace is found, its a monster!

This race was not the most exciting, but let's not decide what could happen based on the first race. As I said, in terms of excitment Aus will never fail to provide. As for a real, proper close race between the right teams, well I give it 3-4 races. Sakir has never been the most exciting. Dont forget Vettel was pretty much stuck behind a TF last year, then the TF was stuck behind him, with Lewis involved too. The only reason Vettel came 2nd was because of pitstops... Likewise the only reason Button won was because of pitstops. What we had was false racing in a way. Nothings changed this year except pitstops now will maybe not offer the ability to overtake as well as before. But as I said, im sure we will see some close-racing in the near future.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
I've made my point as regards tracks in another thread, but I'd be hopeful of a far better race in Melbourne. Certain tracks attract excitement. Melbourne is one of those.

Here's an important point: My hurling team, the equivalent here of the football team you would support, had a sparsely attended league game in the back of beyonds last Sunday. I elected to watch the Grand Prix instead of making the journey south. We lost by ten points and the game itself was apparently so bad that there is still not a word in the English language that can fully describe how awful it was.

I'm still kinda sickened I didn't go to the match...
chet
I'd be supprised if Aus was as boring as Bahrain, but after who knows?

It never will be, but that's not the point. It's the manner in which the Bahrain GP was boring which is the problem. We're all fully aware of the problem of cars being unable to follow, but not to the extent of Bahrain. It was all "we must protect the tyres!" or "engines!". It was turned into a survival race rather than an actual race.

Off the top of my head, I can remember 1 overtake in the top 10 all race - Webber getting Button on lap 1. Other than that, the only ones which spring to mind are Vettel and Petrov getting overtaken with their problems. Even with Vettel's issue Rosberg couldn't get close... I mean, come on! A driver is 2 to 3 seconds off the pace with sod-all top end power and still one of the fastest cars on the grid can't get close. That's ridiculous!

The rule changes (lack of refuelling, points changes) were meant to increase the spectacle - to make it more enthralling.... that would be great if cars can actually get into position to even get close to the driver in front. It's not they weren't trying to overtake before - they just couldn't. Regardless, the points gap between 1st and 2nd, rather than providing more incentive to overtake, will probably make drivers think of how many points they'd lose were they to have a go and fail to make it stick.

F1 needs an overhaul. Tracks, cars, the lot. And I don't mean lopping off 25% of the downforce, as the designers always gain it back. It needs to be radical and raw. Stop fannying about with wheel covers and start getting drastic.
"It never will be, but that's not the point. It's the manner in which the Bahrain GP was boring which is the problem. We're all fully aware of the problem of cars being unable to follow, but not to the extent of Bahrain. It was all "we must protect the tyres!" or "engines!". It was turned into a survival race rather than an actual race.

Off the top of my head, I can remember 1 overtake in the top 10 all race - Webber getting Button on lap 1. Other than that, the only ones which spring to mind are Vettel and Petrov getting overtaken with their problems. Even with Vettel's issue Rosberg couldn't get close... I mean, come on! A driver is 2 to 3 seconds off the pace with sod-all top end power and still one of the fastest cars on the grid can't get close. That's ridiculous!

The rule changes (lack of refuelling, points changes) were meant to increase the spectacle - to make it more enthralling.... that would be great if cars can actually get into position to even get close to the driver in front. It's not they weren't trying to overtake before - they just couldn't. Regardless, the points gap between 1st and 2nd, rather than providing more incentive to overtake, will probably make drivers think of how many points they'd lose were they to have a go and fail to make it stick.

F1 needs an overhaul. Tracks, cars, the lot. And I don't mean lopping off 25% of the downforce, as the designers always gain it back. It needs to be radical and raw. Stop fannying about with wheel covers and start getting drastic. "

I think it was three overtakes - Alonso on Massa and Rosberg on Hamilton as well? All on lap 1 though. As well as the diffusers why have the cars all started sprouting bits and bargeboards again? I thought this was all banned in the rules last year.
Yeah, turn 1 doesn't really count though. ;)
The Lotus and Virgin of Heikki and whoever were swapping posistions alot. I saw one move into 4... and into turn 1. When Hulk exited the pits, he overtook but these of course were the Lotus cars and both the Virgin cars.

But Lewis got overtaken on first lap in the new section...

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Lewis ran wide after trying to overtake Felippe in T4... he lost the line and Rosberg went by

anyways, it's thursday and Formula 1 hasn't released their "race edits" video..................... they have nothing to show.. ;)hot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2010 06:00PM by Slash.
what i dont get is we have been complaining of the lack of overtaking for years, these are supposedly some of the brightest engineers, technicians, on the planet yet they cant come up with a formula where overtaking is easier than it is now?

i also read in another forum, we all know there is too much reliance on aero grip which destabilises the car behind, but why do we have a rev limit? by the time you anywhere near the slipstream youre hitting the rev limit.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Typical... with all the whining going on here season in and season out, you would think being a keener was a mandatory requirement for signing up here. We just had 3 great seasons back to back, and just one single race into the season, and everyone wails for the death of overtaking. One swallow does not make a summer. Give me three races in a row, then I will concede that the regulations don't work. As far as I am concerned, Bahrain never really allowed for good racing anyway.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy