The Official 2010 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by EC83 
i dont want to see this circuit again next yr
At least the back of the field will provide entertainment!

Good to see racey overtaking in the midfield and rear.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
LINkY Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i dont want to see this circuit again next yr

I didn't mind the old Bahrain circuit, but this new one is really boring. The lap is just too long now.
In my opinion we can't judge the new rules after the first race. This new layout is boring in itself, it's too long and slow, so hopefully the next races will be more exciting...
this race confirms that massa will became the new Barrichello...
poor vettel,as always alonso was very lucky:-(
schumacher did a good race(keeping in count that he didn't race for 3 years)

the new layout is awful,hoping in a better race in melbourne...

My GPGSL Career
Bahrain sucks.

Boring track and it doesnt evening look nice unlike some other places its just a desert....

Shame for vettel.

> i predicted it massa on the dirt side wasn't good,
> he only lost a place to alonso but at the end it
> cost him the race cause the ferrari's had the same
> peace.

The fact that he lost the place wasn't really to do with the start though, more him being a bit too conservative going into Turn 1 and allowing Alonso some room.

Anyway, the race didn't live up to our expectations it seems, but its hard to judge on one race. Races at Bahrain have often been boring, regardless of the rules.

X (@ed24f1)
So Lotus (or the two Lotuii :P) have pretty much proved themselves the best of the new teams. I think when the European season starts, Lotus might be mixing it with midfield.

Really annoyed about Vettel though. Seems Red Bull have some work to do before they get to Melbourne in two weeks time.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
senna9194 Schreef:
> this race confirms that massa will became the new
> Barrichello...
> poor vettel,as always alonso was very lucky:-(
> schumacher did a good race(keeping in count that
> he didn't race for 3 years)
>
> the new layout is awful,hoping in a better race in
> melbourne...

Massa had to save fuel from 30 laps to go or something, I think he had to save the engine as well, so the gap to Alonso isn't realistic and I expect Massa to make it Alonso very hard actually.

Poor Jenson.
Yeah massa was at the same level as Alonso so it will be a great battle this year but i don't think we'll see direct actions of overtaking with ferrari boys
Well done Fernando! An excellent race, and the duck is back!

He and Massa were evenly matched, yes, but he did seem to always have an edge on Massa when it mattered. Looks like they'll push each other hard this season though, which can only be good.

Regarding the circuit, I think people are being a bit harsh regarding the new section. It makes the lap long, yes, but it also adds good variety to the lap with a sequence of corners which are at least different from the rest of the lap, tighter and more precise, with interesting gradient on the track too on that section, and some challenging bumps thrown in. I thought it had more positives than negatives, and was a welcome addition TBH.

That was boring. I'm a Ferrari fan so I should be really happy but it really was boring. The new Bahrain section provided nothing. You can't overtake through it... Which brings me to my next point: What's the point of Formula One when you can't overtake. I mean ffs... Vettel's radio from his team summed it up. Alonso had no chance of overtaking if Vettel's car was fine, once anyone gets 0.8-1 second behind the hot dirty air means you can't get close or even dream of overtaking unless the other car makes a mistake. Pathetic. Vettel should have had a radio saying "Alonso is closing, get your foot down" but he basically told as Alonso can't get close without wrecking his tyres, just sit there and maintain the gap. That is NOT racing, it's like chess now. Get your pieces in the right place and watch as no one can get to your king. PATHETIC! Button should have got passed Schumacher but he couldn't, Webber should have done better but he couldn't. You can't call it a race and you definetly cannot say F1 is the pinnicle of motor racing because it's not. Motor racing involves OVERTAKING which will never happen when they have double decker five million stacked defusers.

ARGHHHHHHH!!!
Hopefully they bring back Melbourne back as the season opener.

Its surely worth having the race at a slightly more inconvenient timeslot for the European audiences if it means there will be much better racing

X (@ed24f1)
Race was dull I really thought it would be closer.

They are already talking about making everyone stop twice to improve the racing rather than making everyone look after tyres.

Good race by Ferrari, I was always waiting for the rbr car to break.

I fully expected to Ferrari ti be the fastest seeing they worked on this car for so long, I think Massa will give Alonso a run for his money but I still think Alonso will have the upper hand.

Good pit work by Mclaren for them both to jump cars. Button needs to up his game Lewis thrashed him but you could tell Button was not happy at being called in early for his pit stop which of cause helped Lewis get passed Nico.

MS done ok but he has had all winter to not be rusty so am getting a tad fed up with that reason already. Massa was out half of last year and he came back ok, MS has had loads of testing to he should be on it already.
Maybe they should increase the speed limit in the pit lane, that would definately allow for other strategies. It's 100 kmh now, they used to do 120kmh and that went fine.
F1 needs less efficient tyres. Fill the race up with tyres that go off constantly and you'll get a lot more action. 2-3 pitstops with tyres which suffer actual degradation rather than just scuffing them a bit.

Hopefully with Bridgestone leaving next year that will be addressed at the same time.
well why is everyone whining about overtakings ... look at 1999 for example and show me ONE overtaking for the lead (on dry track)
or 1998 (without hakkinen spinning at monza, this was an accident because of DC engine blow)

despite that those were two of the best seasons in recent history ....

what i hate about the new rules is that everyone HAS TO USE THE 2 TYPE OF tyres. if it wasnt this way , maybe we should see some driverts NOT pitting and this could provide good racing.... actually after the pitstops it got quite interesting with barrichello fighting with hamilton excatcy because of the one pitting for tyres and the other one not.
BUT because everyone has to use the two compounds of tyres it makes it impossible to try to not pit and win positions which you later defend
Race could have been worse, but for me too, definitely hoping for a much better race at Melbourne.

Happy for Lotus, I think they've got a lot to be happy with there. Great shame for Vettel - I think though that it gives the indication that Ferrari are not utterly dominant; Vettel probably could have won if not for the exhaust and Webber probably would have been up in the mix if not for the mistake in quali. On Bahrain performance alone however it seems Mclaren and Mercedes are not quite on their pace however.

Pity that Renault's race turned out the way it did, I think Kubica would have scored points if not for the first lap incident (as would have Sutil) and Petrov looked quite handy until his retirement, which from a personal view I was very happy to see (him looking handy, not retiring that is...)
Pity about Chandhok, I'm still giving him more time to show his worth, I think his excuse was more than justified though in the greater scheme just a poor reflection on the entire weekend really - although I do believe someone else should have/would have told him there was a bump there...

Also good that it seems that the sidebar will be there in general, it appears that just someone forgot to turn it on during Quali...
BUT it seems now that pit-stops will be timed on the entire duration of the car's stay in the pit lane, with the actual length of the stop only mentioned at the end, which just seems stupid to me. Well, maybe in particular because with the removal of refuelling, now we have the wild anticipation of pit-stops lasting under 3 seconds, the graphics are going to make them seem longer than ever. That and there's not always time to cover the driver leaving the pits and thus giving us his actual stop time at that point. Sure, tell us the entire length of the time taking in the pit lane, that is useful, but I'd still like to know the time the actual stop takes in particular...

What else can I rant about...?
Schumacher bemoaning the lack of fuel stops destroying the chances of overtaking...
Well, there was plenty of overtaking outside the top 8...
For me though - well I do agree, we can't draw conclusions from one race alone - but while in principle I am only too delighted that refuelling is gone, I hated it in 94 and it never won me over - there is a problem and I hate to say it but a lot of it's got to do with the current atmosphere in Formula One, which is, in my mind: "Don't push too hard, it's far too expensive." Everything has to last - the last thing you do with that frame of mind is to drive the bejesus out of it. So now there's the huge points gap, enticing drivers to drive harder, except the thought always remains that "oh no, if I push too hard, a couple of races from now my car may explode and therefore ruin the following race as well, and what with the points being so far apart..."
(Me of course talking with the knowledge of exactly how a F1 driver/engineer's mind works, but, still...)
I mean the alternative is everyone spends just as much as they want on everything, teams start changing engines after every session and before too long I'll be toasting 12 cars pitching up for the championship decider with 8 stating that they'll *probably* be back the next year (unless we change the fundamentals of the sport so that its not to do with the cost of winning being so high but the cost of losing being so high)
So, as DC said, Bridgestone have a tyre that will last most of the race, so its not worth a team's time to change twice, because, strange as it may appear, that strategy would be slower than having just one change of tyre and then rather miserably dragging it out until the end of the race - the original intention it seems being "ah yes, as the drivers jostle for position in the closing stages, some drivers/cars will be kinder on their tyres and we'll see them challenge those who have been more aggressive, whose tyres will be buggered - ergo by the end closer racing" except now it seems everyone just conserves their tyres, which in turn will not disintegrate on them. So in Bahrain nothing really happened.
The thought occurs though that Bridgestone has years and years of experience that allows them to make really good F1 tyres - next year who ever replaces them (Avon maybe, at the rate that tyre companies DON'T want to supply F1!?) won't quite have that experience, therefore the tyre situation may be more dynamic.
Maybe we should have a mandatory 2 tyre changes during a race, or task Bridgestone or whoever to supply the teams with less durable tyres? Therefore drivers can be more aggressive with their tyres knowing they don't have to make them last a ridiculously long distance?

Ultimately though of course you've got the aerodynamics not helping and of course the fact that pace wise they're so close together - as others have said before overtaking can only happen if one car is sufficiently faster than the other, and if one team is sufficiently faster than everyone else, they'll qualify at the front and stay at the front, for the entire weekend, and then we'll be complaining again. Otherwise it's like a lot of us despair at trucks taking an epoch to overtake each other on the motorway all because one truck is travelling at roughly one mile an hour faster than the other - well there we go. And there's barely a straight long enough in F1 that would allow for that scenario, especially when they cannot follow close enough out of the previous corner.

God that was a ramble.

Hooray for Massa!

/edit - yeah, a lot of this post has been said already - I was writing it for a long time ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 05:57PM by zulu_85.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy