Australian GP move to Avalon?

Posted by mortal 
Australian GP move to Avalon?
Date: February 28, 2010 12:37AM
Posted by: mortal
A PLAN to move the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix to a purpose-built, $200 million race circuit at Avalon is being considered in an attempt to keep the event in Victoria.

Full news article:Avalon GP?

I think it'll kill it.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Re: Australian GP move to Avalon?
Date: February 28, 2010 12:50AM
Posted by: ipswich2007
Just as long as it's not another tilke drome!

Date: February 28, 2010 05:26AM
Posted by: auscain
No. Don't be ridiculous did some politicians in Geelong come up with that. It's a stupid idea!!! Don't even get me started, it's too far. Barely long enough to land a Learjet.
Grrrrrr...:-(
Date: February 28, 2010 10:47AM
Posted by: gav
Ausland have had 2 of the most distinctive and best tracks for F1 in the past 25 years, the majority of which provided some truly memorable moments.

From a greedy, non-political outsider looking in, keep it where it is or go back to Adelaide. Don't @#$%& about with things which work.
Date: February 28, 2010 01:07PM
Posted by: LINkY
Here's the thing about avalon,

1 there's nothing else there, heaps n heaps of room 2 build. and it already has basic infastructure.

2 victoria is in much need of a large race track that is close 2 melbourne, , eg unlike phillip island or winton which are 2 to 3hr trips, reguardless of the f1 being there or not. also iv heard that sandown may not last much longer. this should not just be about f1.

3 all the f1 gear comes into australia via avalon anyway. so the track would b um, literally next door. and they seem 2 b able 2 lands those jumbos on the strip quite fine for last 14yrs even if it is not a massive runway.

4. mr ecclestone wants australia 2 b run under lights to better suit the european prime time, this wil never happen whilst the event is at albert park. lighting under the trees is an issue and it would cost too much tax payer money or something like that not 2 mention the groups that would oppose to the construtcion of permantent light towers around the lake.

5 all those "people" who couldnt care less bout having this amazing event on the roads around albert park, they see it as a massive drain on their payed taxes and would rather it b gone.

6 there r all the conservationists/epa that complain about the event destroying the park and having an adverse effect on the .... life in, on and around the lake, and i get the feeling that eventually points 4, 5 and 6 r gonna win out.

dont get me wrong i love this event at albert park. im only 20 and have gone every year bar 1997 and would b extremely sad 2 see it change. but sadly if feel its more likely gonna move than not.

also i think i remember that originally lindsay fox (linfox) wanted 2 move f1 down 2 phillip island. ofcourse that would b a nightmare, nothing 2 do wit the track, its an amazing track. jus so far 4 anyone 2 go and agian, nothings there... its fine 4 the bikes.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 01:10PM by LINkY.
Date: February 28, 2010 03:32PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I wonder if the FIA ever actually LISTEN to fans. There has never been any indication of it. Lets move the race back to Adelaide.
Date: February 28, 2010 03:44PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Mixed feelings about this plan.

As has been mentioned, Adelaide and Albert Park have been great tracks, and have provided great racing. In a perfect world, the race could continue without change.

But, if the race keeps losing more and more money (it has been losing about $20/30 million the last few years), this might be the best option to secure the long term future of the event. And if there is an option between no Australian race and one at Avalon, then I would support it. Also, Australia does desperately need more permanent race tracks.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 28, 2010 04:28PM
Hey LINkY, thanks for the local info. I got a little animated because it would be tragic to lose the Australian F1. From a spectator’s perspective I like it were it is. I totally didn’t realise they were flying into Avalon and trucking from there. Of course, there are big pluses to having a permanent racetrack for the Melbourne talent to travel to. I didn’t consider that.
Date: March 01, 2010 04:40AM
@ auscain, no worries mote. sorry if i sounded like a smart ass wen i was talking bout the airport... your obviously very passionate bout this race. as we all should be.

good on ya

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 04:43AM by LINkY.
Date: March 01, 2010 05:38AM
Thanks mate, no worries. Like I said, thank you for the local knowledge and insight. As much as I think the race should stay in Melbourne, the other side of the coin is you might get the racetrack you are hoping for and you won’t have to travel to Winton raceway. It was always cold and slippery at that track.
Date: March 01, 2010 06:25AM
Posted by: flat tyre
Don't know about you lot, but I have a soft spot for Albert Park. I'd be sad to see it go.

But as we all know times change. I had a quick look at what the area around Avalon airport was like, LINkY gave us a great insight, but from my own search I see that the local terrain isn't all that flat. This is a shot from the area where it looks like the GP circuit might be built, near a place called You Yangs:

Maybe we might be getting a new circuit with rolling hills and good scenery? It would be a refreshing change... :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 06:27AM by flat tyre.
Date: March 01, 2010 09:04AM
now there's some good research nice. i actually wasn't aware that they had plans 4 near the you yangs, that would b great.
Date: March 01, 2010 09:10AM
but it will b hard to beat the scenery in the pic on this page......

[www.caradvice.com.au]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 09:15AM by LINkY.
Date: March 01, 2010 11:50PM
Posted by: shep34
Avalon as an F1 cicruit? Um, no. No way. Won't happen in any of our life times.
Yes, they could build a fantastic circuit there, as there is heaps of vacant land, but....
- no public transport to move people in/out of the circuit like there is at Albert Park.
- aesthetically, totally boring. No buildings, homes, trees, nothing. That area is just paddocks. Yes, there is Port Philip Bay, and Geelong, but compared to the great shots of the Melbourne CBD and St.Kilda beaches, the Avalon area looks like a sewerage outlet (and for us Melbournians, we know it almost is the case!) - imagine a strong northerly wind blowing the beautiful smells from the Werribee sewerage farms down across the F1 Paddock. MMMMmmmm, nice
- the cost of building a track and all the required infrastructure would be a HUGE financial blowout - our state government can't even implement a simple public transport ticketing system whilst staying anywhere near close to budget (and 3 yrs later, still not in use....)

I have been to every GP at Albert Park since 1996, and it is a fantastic venue. Public transport is great, atmosphere is great, and the scenery is pleasant. I just can't imagine sending the F1 GP to a windswept open land, tree-less paddock at Avalon to run the Australian GP. If the GP leaves Melbourne, which I think is inevitable, it could go back to Adelaide, or better yet (much better!!!) to show off Australia, send it to the Gold Coast!! As long as Australia keeps a race!

As for the "yellow ribbon brigade" that were screaming and moaning when the GP first came back to Melbourne, well I have asked them before if they think the park looks better since the GP arrived! lol! Before the GP came to Melbourne, the Albert Park area was looking very run down and un-loved. Nowadays, it is a beautiful, well maintained parkland for all of Melbournians to enjoy.
Date: March 02, 2010 02:07AM
Posted by: tozequio
Surfers Paradise would be a great place imo
Date: March 03, 2010 11:48AM
state government isnt going to fund the building of any track. lindsay fox is. theres is a train line that runs through lara think there's a station there 2. wouldnt b hard 2 extend it. its only 8ks away. and no houses being there is more a plus cos there will b no1 complaining about all the noise. lol at the public ticketing system comm!

but yeah hopefully it just stays in melbourne
Date: August 11, 2010 11:34AM
Posted by: mcdo
An update. The Australian Federal Government has today committed to supporting Avalon airport becoming an international flight destination, which you'd think is essential if there's any chance of an Avalon race track being built.

The announcement depends on the Australian Labor Party winning the Federal election on 21/8. Funny how elections get things moving.

[www.theage.com.au]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy