Re: Alonso: Ferrari more important than two titles
Date: February 24, 2010 09:41PM
Posted by: EC83
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alonso, like Prost, is consider an incredible
> driver, but overlooked as 'the best'.

Yep, and that's a shame.

Alonso and Prost have a lot of similarities. They are/were both the most complete drivers of their generation, with immense talent and the ability to more or less apply all of that talent, consistently, time after time after time. They also are both political heavyweights out of the car, with a reputation for getting in trouble with/falling out with their teams.
Alonso has even ended up taking a surprisingly similar career path to Prost; An early stint at Renault, a move from there to McLaren, and then a move to Ferrari after that. Alonso's just gone through that sequence much sooner and faster than Prost did.

But yeah, both tend to be underrated as drivers because of their relatively unspectacular driving styles, when their skill behind the wheel is what people should focus on more.

Date: February 24, 2010 09:45PM
Posted by: danm
Everyone meaning every team on the grid. As in being able to say 'I want to drive for...' and having that chance.

2007 soured that for Alonso.

But right now, if Hamilton or Vettel said I want to drive for you... which teams would turn them down? Pretty sure nobody would!

That is what I mean by EVERYONE.

I have no idea what tangent you are on regarding personal sponsorships. That is something different altogether.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: February 24, 2010 10:04PM
Posted by: msater
EC83 Wrote:
> danm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Alonso, like Prost, is consider an incredible
> > driver, but overlooked as 'the best'.
>
> Yep, and that's a shame.
>
> Alonso and Prost have a lot of similarities. They
> are/were both the most complete drivers of their
> generation, with immense talent and the ability to
> more or less apply all of that talent,
> consistently, time after time after time. They
> also are both political heavyweights out of the
> car, with a reputation for getting in trouble
> with/falling out with their teams.
> Alonso has even ended up taking a surprisingly
> similar career path to Prost; An early stint at
> Renault, a move from there to McLaren, and then a
> move to Ferrari after that. Alonso's just gone
> through that sequence much sooner and faster than
> Prost did.
>
> But yeah, both tend to be underrated as drivers
> because of their relatively unspectacular driving
> styles, when their skill behind the wheel is what
> people should focus on more.

But I think both have been a bit unlucky in terms of other drivers as well.
Maybe Alonso a bit more than Prost, but Prost was overshadowed by Senna, just as he was getting to his peak, and Alonso was overshadowed by Schumacher, then Hamilton's debut season. But I think Alonso's talent will really shine through this year. Although I don't want him to win, I feel he will win overall.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: February 24, 2010 10:14PM
Posted by: alonso0506
Hey what do you mean with overshadowed. Alonso kicked Michaels ass all over god`s green earth in 05 and 06 and hamilton and his dad kissed rons ass pretty heavy to. Secondly If Fernando didnt devolped the car in 07 McLaren wouldnt won any race with that stupid monkey ass who looks like his father and a piece of crap made love and out came hamilton.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And thats the bottom line cause Alonso0506 said so"
Date: February 24, 2010 10:14PM
Posted by: n00binio
tripleM schrieb:
> everyone? happily? really?
>
> Neither Senna nor Schumacher had Brazilian or
> German companies become major sponsors of the
> teams they drove for.
>
> But Alonso apparently installed himself?
>
> Yeah, right.

schumacher had bitburger at benetton in 94/95

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: February 24, 2010 10:20PM
Posted by: msater
alonso0506 Wrote:
> Hey what do you mean with overshadowed. Alonso
> kicked Michaels ass all over god`s green earth in
> 05 and 06 and hamilton and his dad kissed rons ass
> pretty heavy to. Secondly If Fernando didnt
> devolped the car in 07 McLaren wouldnt won any
> race with that stupid monkey ass who looks like
> his father and a piece of crap made love and out
> came hamilton.

Yeah but his championship in 06 was overshadowed by Schumacher leaving at the end of the year. Again, every driver will be overshadowed by Schumi making his return this year. At least at the start of the year, but I will be a main theme running throughout the whole season.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: February 24, 2010 10:30PM
Posted by: Slash
alonso0506 Wrote:
> Hey what do you mean with overshadowed. Alonso
> kicked Michaels ass all over god`s green earth in
> 05 and 06 and hamilton and his dad kissed rons ass
> pretty heavy to. Secondly If Fernando didnt
> devolped the car in 07 McLaren wouldnt won any
> race with that stupid monkey ass who looks like
> his father and a piece of crap made love and out
> came hamilton.

Alonso kicked Schumacher's ass???????

yep, we have a fanboy!

you obviously don't see the races, you don't watch a GP, you don't watch the 22 drivers, just Alonso and the world around him

overreacting on a simple word to jump and defend Alonso failing to see that instead of being attacked he's being defended!
Date: February 24, 2010 11:24PM
Posted by: Frantic
+1.

In 2006 Schumacher destroyed the advantage Alonso had from 25 points at the middle of the season, if it wasnt for a engine failure in Japan and a puncture in Brazil, MS could have won that championship.

In 2005 Ferrari were far behind McLaren, Renault and even Toyota in some stages, but MS managed to finish 3rd in standings.

Alonso lost the 2007 champ because he crashed in Japan, and in 2008 and late months of 2009 McLaren had decent cars, even in 2009 they made a decent car from a #$%/ car, and that with FA in Renault. A car is fastest than before not only for the driver capacity to make it faster. A car is fastest than before because of engineers too. Look at Renault in 2009, and look at McLaren in 2009. In Malaysia their pace was almost the same in race. look at Abu Dhabi...

Anyway, you just hate Hamilton because he fighted with him for a championship that finally went to Kimi. And thats no reason to blame him or his family.

Date: February 24, 2010 11:33PM
Posted by: gav
Frantic
In 2006 Schumacher destroyed the advantage Alonso had from 25 points at the middle of the season, if it wasnt for a engine failure in Japan and a puncture in Brazil, MS could have won that championship.

Alonso had the mass damper, an engine failure and the Monza qualifying debacle in the latter half of the season too.

//edit: and was that the year Michelin were forced to change their tyres 2/3 of the way through the season too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2010 11:34PM by gav.
Date: February 25, 2010 12:01AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
gav Schreef:
> > In 2006 Schumacher destroyed the advantage
> Alonso had from 25 points at the middle of the
> season, if it wasnt for a engine failure in Japan
> and a puncture in Brazil, MS could have won that
> championship.
>
>
> Alonso had the mass damper, an engine failure and
> the Monza qualifying debacle in the latter half of
> the season too.
>
> //edit: and was that the year Michelin were forced
> to change their tyres 2/3 of the way through the
> season too?

I thought that was 2003?

Also, it's abit premature to compare Alonso with Prost yet, the one has 2 titles, the other has 5... Let's first see how he does at Ferrari compared to Massa.

Date: February 25, 2010 12:03AM
Posted by: Frantic
dont remember about the Michelin´s, but I tried to say that even if FA has that championship well deserved (and he has it), this guy cant say FA kicked MS ass, because 2006 was one of the most fighted seasons in the decade... Of course FA had some problems during the season, and MS too, and that helped to turn 2006 season one of the best in years (i think, since 2000). But FA didnt kicked MS ass at all.

EDIT: Prost has 4!!!! ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2010 12:05AM by Frantic.
Date: February 25, 2010 12:28AM
Posted by: EC83
gav Wrote:
> Alonso had the mass damper, an engine failure and
> the Monza qualifying debacle in the latter half of
> the season too.

As well as his losing a likely win in Hungary when his car disintigrated, Wacky Races stylee, as he braked for Turn 2.

And yeah, 2003 was the year Michelin were made to change their tyres before Monza for a legality issue, but it did seem in 2006 like a lot of things suddenly went against Alonso and Renault.

Date: February 25, 2010 12:48AM
Posted by: danm
I would actually enjoy seeing how Massa will fare out of all this.

I think the general concensus feeling is that Alonso will triumph, but Massa has matured a lot.

It will be a waiting game on his pace, post crash incident.

But we all remember what that did for Mika!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: February 25, 2010 01:51AM
Posted by: Slash
or his son!

i hope i'm mistaken, but old Enzo used to say that a born child means a driver being 1 sec slower.
it didn't work for Michael, but it changed, Zanardi, Mika and many others.... :p
Date: February 25, 2010 02:26AM
Posted by: Lex
Slash schrieb:
> it didn't work for Michael

No? One has to imagine how would it be if he didn't had children! ;)

Um dois três quatro cinco seis sete oito nove dez
Eins zwei drei vier fünf sechs sieben acht neun zehn
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten
Один два три четыре пять шесть семь восемь девять десять
Date: February 25, 2010 10:30AM
Posted by: alonso0506
Hey i am sorry if i said anything. I just meant that when it was head to head race action he beat him like Bahrain,San Marino(he was faster),at Europe ms had great strategie, Spain, Great Britain Canada,He would have won in Hungary if he wouldnt had the mechanic making an error,,Turkey he kept him behind till the end,Italy how know maybe 3rd or second,China he would have won to if he wouldnt had the wrong tyres,japan was reverse and brazil he didnt go full power just to the end so thats my opinion. Hey Slash you dont know and i am not a fanboy get homes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And thats the bottom line cause Alonso0506 said so"
Date: February 27, 2010 05:01PM
Posted by: requenov
Alonso: Ferrari more important than two titles

"My father always told me this would happen," Alonso told The Guardian. "He said, 'If you race for Ferrari, you can then retire. Your life is complete.'

"So after I won my two championships for Renault I said, 'I'm happy now - my career is complete' and he said, 'No, no, if you drive for Ferrari people will forget the championships. They will remember you as a Ferrari driver.'

"I said, 'Okay, Dad, we'll see.' Now I think he was right. Ferrari gives you a special feeling."

---------------------------------------------------------------

He didn´t say Ferrari is more important than two titles. He means that his F1 career is complete now driving for Ferrari, as his father once said to him. Nothing else. But we know his dream was to drive for McLaren, although it didnt go as expected.

I'm sure Massa thinks that his career is not complete, he drives for Ferrari but he'd like to win -at least- a WDC.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2010 05:03PM by requenov.
Date: February 27, 2010 10:56PM
Posted by: redbulljack14
requenov Wrote:
'No, no, if you drive for Ferrari people will forget the championships. They will remember you as a Ferrari driver.'

Maybe Fisi was thinking of that, other than the championships of course.
Date: March 03, 2010 07:48PM
Posted by: Ali
2006 championship was one of the best of the last decade. The level was extremely high, Alonso drove incredibly in many of those races and Schumacher got the best of his car, specially in the second half of the year, when Bridgestone clearly beat Michelin, which played obviously in benefit of Schumacher. But Alonso had two hard races were: Hungaroring were he did an exhibition on driving in the wet and Monza, were he was in podium positions aftern the most that strange penalty. Yes, you can claim Schumacher had the engine failure in Japan, but honestly, I see that as a kind of "poetic justice" as I really think Alonso deserved the title that year. Anyway, amazing year...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy