RA109

Posted by chet 
RA109
Date: January 08, 2010 04:30AM
Posted by: chet
Simple question..

Had Honda stayed in F1 would the RA109 taken the WCC and WDC?

Also, I ask this question.

Whats the difference between Honda, Mercedes and Brawn? As a team that is.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: RA109
Date: January 08, 2010 04:48AM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
One has Schumacher and one has Button.... Mercedes ftw

Edit: But to be serious I dunno, would Honda have been able to win the 09 Championship... It would of been the same car I suppose but with a silly Earth painted on it or something

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2010 04:51AM by Ferrari2007.
Date: January 08, 2010 05:47AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Honda would have been competitive, but it seems the Mercedes engine was a large part of the success of Brawn, and without that, they would have been just a touch slower (and that is all that would be needed to put them behind red bull at least)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: January 08, 2010 04:28PM
Posted by: Muks_C
^ agreed. the chassis itself would have been the same with the same double-diffusor, but the Honda engine would not have been the most powerful and so the diffusor alone wouldn't have put them at the front of the grid.

as for the teams, Honda was too corporate, the bosses in Japan had too much say in the running of the team, and so with Brawn they got a much more direct leadership from someone "on the ground" who could see first-hand what was happening and what needed to be done. don't know about Mercedes as they haven't done anything as a team yet.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: January 08, 2010 05:50PM
Posted by: gav
I still think they would have had enough outright pace. Power doesn't make all that much difference in terms of lap time. Where they might have lost out is later in the season, when they had their awful run in qualifying - with a bit less up at the top end, they wouldn't have found themselves in a position to use their braking advantage to come through the field so quickly.

Then again, with Honda backing, assuming things stayed the same, might they have had more funds to be a bit more aggressive with development with the rest of the car? I know they had the budget to see out the season comfortably and with a sufficient development budget, but in a battle for the title and with more personnel and resources, they might have made more of the chassis.

Keep in mind they lost time and resources shoe-horning a Merc engine into a car designed around the Honda power-plant too, and presumably the car wasn't optimised for the Merc in other ways either (weight distribution, rear suspension geometry, exhausts and cooling design and thus the aero package, etc).

I think they'd have still won the war, assuming the Honda engine was reasonably reliable.
Date: January 08, 2010 08:51PM
Posted by: matt3454
I also remember someone saying that Honda's KERS system was very advanced until it was scrapped due to Honda pulling out.

So i think they would have been in for a good shout of the title.

Date: January 11, 2010 01:47PM
Posted by: The Lopper
I don't think they would have. Brawn GP seemed an incredibly harmonious team, even despite the fact that Barrichello was perceived to have been "hard done by" at various points in the season...I dunno if that would have been the case had Honda still have been there. Plus, the Merc was a major advantage.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy