> compared to last time i went (08), its more
> expensive.
> This is stupid, how can they expect all fans to
> afford these prices, some of us are in student
> debts already.
>
> Silverstone owners are useless and stupid, a few
> years ago we could go watch testing there for
> free, then what do they do, bump it to £10 entry.

Because they need to make a profit, and there is big money being asked for hosting the gp (though, Silverstone kinda got a bargain, that's why the prices are alot lower then at other gp's).

Re: Silverstone sign 17 year Brit GP deal
Date: December 08, 2009 12:00PM
Posted by: Nickv
DJSKYLINE Schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> compared to last time i went (08), its more
> expensive.
> This is stupid, how can they expect all fans to
> afford these prices, some of us are in student
> debts already.
>
> Silverstone owners are useless and stupid, a few
> years ago we could go watch testing there for
> free, then what do they do, bump it to £10 entry.

Does Dixons lower their prices so students can afford new TVs?

While I agree that the BRDC haven't been great the last few years on running Silverstone, I have to defend them here. Britain wants a race, so Britain needs an up-to-date track. The government doesn't want to spend any money on it, so Silverstone gets other sources of income (by charging testing, which is quite reasonable to me) to get more money so they can rebuild and update the track and to secure the British GP and then it's all complaining. Hypocrisy to the max IMO. The Brits want a race, but as long as they don't have to pay for it.
Date: December 08, 2009 12:54PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
well if they keep bumping prices up surely less people are likely to go meaning less profit? Atleast keep it reasonable :/

no Dixons dont, but there are student offers for stuff like Microsoft products etc, why dont Silverstone do this then? ;)
I read somewhere that another track offers student discount. fair point though.

thought i wouldnt mind if there isnt a british f1 race, theres enough good tracks around the world!

here:

[paultan.org]

[www.bahraingp.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2009 12:56PM by DJSKYLINE.
Date: December 08, 2009 01:05PM
Posted by: chet
I am going to the Bahrain GP for next seasons opener :)! Seating across from pitlane.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 08, 2009 01:11PM
Posted by: marwood82
to put it some sort of context

it would cost me about £30-£40 per game to watch Stoke in the premiership without a season ticket.

i paid about £50 to watch a double header in the 20twenty cricket world cup at the oval in the summer,

the NFL game at wembley worked out at about £60 a ticket

they all only last a few hours.

most music festivals are well into the £150+ bracket now

when you look at those, £117 for 3 days with a £35 camping ticket is actually pretty darn good.

especially as silverstone does offer decent 'general entry' viewing when compared to a lot of other places. (2nd only to spa for me, though i've heard the hungaroring is quite good too)

in fact looking at it for the gambling inclined amongst you with a few quid to spare, those club silverstone tickets,for what you get for your $ would be pretty darn sweet if they do use the motogp layout.
Date: December 08, 2009 01:20PM
Posted by: Nickv
DJSKYLINE Schreef:
> well if they keep bumping prices up surely less
> people are likely to go meaning less profit?
> Atleast keep it reasonable :/

Not immedeatly. At first the profits will increase, even though less people go. Silverstone is just looking how far they can go before the price increase results in a lower net profit due to less demand. At the moment it looks like they are still turning greater profits (or smaller losses in Silverstones case) with higher prices (Silverstone is still pretty packed every year). The big public still finds it reasonable, so Silverstone will keep increasing the prices.

> no Dixons dont, but there are student offers for
> stuff like Microsoft products etc, why dont
> Silverstone do this then? ;)
> I read somewhere that another track offers student
> discount. fair point though.
>
> thought i wouldnt mind if there isnt a british f1
> race, theres enough good tracks around the world!
>
> here:
>
> [paultan.org]
> t-student-rates-by-80/
>
> [www.bahraingp.com]
> mula1-Tickets

That's more because they are desperate to attract people rather than their compassion with broke students ;)
Date: December 08, 2009 01:41PM
haha ok well i had my rant, think thats as far as that should go now, and lol ^^

Date: December 13, 2009 01:16PM
Posted by: J i m
The price hike is disappointing but really actually quite predictable. Remember that they have to turn a profit to be able to pay the FOM for the right to have a Grand Prix and above all to be able to invest in developing the infrastructure.

Remember that Silverstone (save from the local re-development of the A43 a few years ago) does not have a penny of financial backing from the government, whether that's justified is a different debate, but it's a far cry from somewhere like Adu dabhi which is backed by it's government to the tune of billions.

In many ways Silverstone is between a rock and a hard place, on the one hand it is obliqued to the fans to maintain a good for value venue... but all those fans want there to be a F1 race there... and to have that concessions are needed.

I'm usually one of the first to critic the BRDC and Silverstone because for years they blatantly ignored and failed in what was asked of them by Bernie, something that Honda and Suzuka succeeded in giving an example of how to do it. But for once Silverstone have done it correctly. They sealed a 17 year deal, and this time (hopefully) the work to re-develop the facilities will actually go ahead.
Date: January 05, 2010 12:52PM
Guys can someone just clarify this for me.

If I get the 'General Admission' ticket for friday, that means I can and sit anywhere around the circuit right because if i remember correctly on friday the seat numbers dont count?

So I can view from any stand i want???

Date: January 05, 2010 01:17PM
DJSKYLINE Wrote:
> Guys can someone just clarify this for me.
>
> If I get the 'General Admission' ticket for
> friday, that means I can and sit anywhere around
> the circuit right because if i remember correctly
> on friday the seat numbers dont count?
>
> So I can view from any stand i want???

if you have any grandstand seat i'm certain thats the case. (got mine already, stowe C + camping can't wait)

however i'm not sure with general entry.

i'd give them a ring and check.
Date: January 05, 2010 01:19PM
well for friday, general admission is the only ticket available so surely they wont close the stands?
It says this: So i presume it means all granstands?

General admission - key areas

Hangar Straight - See the cars at top speed as the slipstream each other on the approach to Stowe

Stowe - The fast right-hander at Stowe is a spectacular place to watch. The speed that the drivers carry through here is truly breathtaking.
Ticket Details

The General Admission 'Fan' tickets give you access to the whole of the outside of the circuit and allow you to choose your own vantage point (under the guidance of the spectator marshals of course!). Enjoy the added bonus of a roving grandstand seat on Friday.

General Admission areas include, Hangar Straight, Becketts, Vale, Stowe and many more

Date: January 05, 2010 02:28PM
ok, didn't see that bit,

from that description i guess you'll be ok then. though from experience it can depend on how informed the particular genius they've got checking the tickets is! (they wouldn't let me into one despite having a BRDC pass in 07!)

i was planning on having a sit in the pitstraight grandstand for first practice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2010 02:29PM by marwood82.
Date: January 05, 2010 06:07PM
Posted by: J i m
Yeah... on Friday it's roving access to everywhere except centre transfer (i.e inside the circuit). Grand stand tickets count for Saturday + Sunday only.

I've opted for simply general addmission... I guess I'm going to have to get there early because I'm expecting the general cringeworthiness of the media to over hype team omfgzteammegw00tmercedesgb aka McLaren, this might bring in a few extra "patriotic" spectators.

Date: January 05, 2010 07:02PM
awesome thanks for the confirmation Jim, Ill be there on the friday then. :)

Date: January 07, 2010 11:09AM
has anyone heard owt about where the 'official' silverstone campsites actually are?

i've bought a permit as i figured £35 is a better deal than litchlake but they don't actually say where this camping is.
Date: January 07, 2010 07:34PM
Posted by: LS.
J i m Wrote:

> I'm expecting the general cringeworthiness of the
> media to over hype team omfgzteammegw00tmercedesgb
> aka McLaren, this might bring in a few extra
> "patriotic" spectators.

Where as at Hockenheim the German media aren't going to mention Mercedes and their driver lineup

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy