Silverstone sign 17 year Brit GP deal

Posted by marwood82 
Silverstone sign 17 year Brit GP deal
Date: December 07, 2009 02:50PM
Posted by: marwood82
[www.silverstone.co.uk]

[www.autosport.com]

they mention the possibility of using the new moto gp 'arena' circuit too.

and looking at the website, they're even going to run their own campsites too.(no more £90pp at litchlake!)

come BRDC, get that new pit+paddock complex built then that surely will be the end of it!
Re: Silverstone sign 17 year Brit GP deal
Date: December 07, 2009 03:03PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Good to finally have the British GP saga resolved.

Now that Hockenheim and Silverstone deals have been done, hopefully focus is turned to the French GP - because now the Flins-Les Mureaux project has fallen over, its not looking good for a return to France in the next few years.
Paul Ricard still remains the best option in my opinion, but whether Bernie wants to fork out his own money to upgrade the track would be the biggest hurdle.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: December 07, 2009 03:10PM
Posted by: senninho
Good news, but i'm not sure what to make of the 'arena' circuit - the Club version of Brooklands is much better (and might even allow overtaking), but i did have a surprising fondness for the Abbey chicane.

Date: December 07, 2009 03:25PM
senninho Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good news, but i'm not sure what to make of the
> 'arena' circuit - the Club version of Brooklands
> is much better (and might even allow overtaking),
> but i did have a surprising fondness for the Abbey
> chicane.

yeah, the only map i've seen of it is on silverstones website, but the angle of the map makes it hard to see how long that new straight really is.
Date: December 07, 2009 03:26PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I prefer the current layout, but I can see why they want to change, especially from a spectator's point of view

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 03:36PM by SchueyFan.
Date: December 07, 2009 04:01PM
IIRC they are ostensibly changing it for MotoGP, because Bridge was considered dangerous.

Date: December 07, 2009 04:21PM
oh i see now, its the straight from the club circuit.

thats almost as long as hanger straight.

cheers 4 the map.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 04:22PM by marwood82.
Date: December 07, 2009 04:23PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
I personally am glad that Silverstone is staying...the donnington thing never really caught my attention.
Date: December 07, 2009 05:26PM
Posted by: Fincent
Ive also seen this layout floating around the net too...

Either way, would certainly make Becketts the best seat in the house! It was already a fantastic place to watch but now you'll be able to see the new complex on the other side too, especially from up high in the grandstand. Im going to be taking the girlfriend with me this year, so what would you recommend? Pit straight or Becketts? I've also heard they're moving the pit straight grandstand back to make room for some run off?

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: December 07, 2009 05:43PM
Posted by: marcl
I like the layout but no bridge :( But tbh the corner now days is to easy.

The new part should allow over taking though.
Date: December 07, 2009 06:57PM
Posted by: gav
Is Club changing too? That's a decent corner - gives a bit of chaos into Abbey at times.

Not a fan of either layout. Bridge is still a corner where you draw your breath first, and given a bit of a changable weather (it is Britain, after all), and it suddenly becomes another mother of all corners.

Eau Rouge is the same - it's easy technically, but you'd be up in arms if they flattened it out and just stuck a chicane or something there.
Date: December 07, 2009 07:00PM
Actually Gav, i think you're right - Club is definitely more squared off in the pic, which would be a shame. Another thing i wonder is if the FIA are going to be concerned about the lack of a massive gravel trap at the end of the straight into Brooklands...

Date: December 07, 2009 09:23PM
Posted by: loren
I think I like the present layout better. As a TV viewer, I don't need every corner to be an overtaking opportunity (maybe people in the stands will feel differently). If I wanted that, I'd watch NASCAR. I'd rather see the cars working through the corners at Bridge/Priory/etc than have another straight.
Date: December 07, 2009 10:48PM
Posted by: Willb
Woooohhoo Silverstone :) !!!!
I didn't think i'd say this but that last layout looks like it could be fun, but i much prefer the present layout still, abbey is a great corner along with bridge.

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: December 07, 2009 11:20PM
Posted by: chet
A more square club will surley prevent overtaking??!! the current version nicley allows drivers to follow each other imo. Squaring it will just induce more of a concertina effect wouldnt it???

I dont think Bridge is any good without the long run up like before anyway.

This was always going to happen and did anyone actually believe donnington would find the enormous funds needed?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 08, 2009 01:21AM
Posted by: Fincent
Im actually a big fan of the new layout :) I think its just a bit of a change from what we are all used to. The first layout posted is not as good as the one I found (courtesy of F1Fanatic) because it looks too Tilke and reminds me too much of the opening sector of the Nurburgring. Surely the simpler layout would make more sense as it makes use of the other track layouts that are already there (straights from both the National and International layouts).

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: December 08, 2009 10:05AM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
tickets too feckin expensive, what a rip, I wanted to go, but now i may just have to settle for the friday if not nothing.

Date: December 08, 2009 10:47AM
DJSKYLINE Wrote:
> tickets too feckin expensive, what a rip, I wanted
> to go, but now i may just have to settle for the
> friday if not nothing.

???
their early bird prices compare favourably to most of the european venues.

you wont get cheap gp tickets in europe anywhere these days(appart from turkey as no one ever turns up)

i was considering spa again this year as silverstone are usually a huge rip off(and i could seen donington being even worse) but those earlybird prices are actually quite tempting.
Date: December 08, 2009 11:10AM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
compared to last time i went (08), its more expensive.
This is stupid, how can they expect all fans to afford these prices, some of us are in student debts already.

Silverstone owners are useless and stupid, a few years ago we could go watch testing there for free, then what do they do, bump it to £10 entry.

Date: December 08, 2009 11:26AM
DJSKYLINE Wrote:
> compared to last time i went (08), its more
> expensive.
> This is stupid, how can they expect all fans to
> afford these prices, some of us are in student
> debts already.
>
> Silverstone owners are useless and stupid, a few
> years ago we could go watch testing there for
> free, then what do they do, bump it to £10 entry.

oh i completely agree. the prices are getting ridiculous.

i was just saying that silverstones aren't that bad compared to what others are charging.

which for me is a bit unexpected as this year it was cheaper for 3 of us to buy weekend race tickets, camping tickets, ferry tickets and petrol and go to Spa than it was to go to silverstone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2009 11:27AM by marwood82.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy