Jenson Button signs with McLaren

Posted by mclarenaustralia 
Re: Jenson Button signs with McLaren
Date: November 18, 2009 03:17PM
Posted by: IWE
Somewhere was written that Mercedes offered clearly more money than McLaren did.

So I guess Button isnt after money, but for proving how good he actually is. He doesnt anyway have much to lose because most of people seems anyway to think he will be clearly slower than Hamilton is.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: November 18, 2009 03:21PM
Posted by: Nickv
Another reason he's gone to McLaren could be that McLaren has a bigger chance of getting a good car next year than Brawn does. Remember that Honda/Brawn worked two years on the 09 car. Along with the double diffuser, that's the reason it was so quick. This year they've had to put all their effort in this years car to win the WDC, pretty much the same as Ferrari and McLaren last year. They were nowhere at the start of the season. McLaren probably has put in more time in the 2010 car than Brawn has. Aside from that, I think McLaren have a bigger chance to build a good car altogether than Brawn, purely due to their financial basis and people. The fact that they could develop the 2010 car more only adds to that. It's not all about the money. And I also think that the salary he wanted is far from outrageous (it was around 10 mil I think?), he's a WDC afterall!

EDIT: Danm was quicker and worded it better. Meh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2009 03:23PM by Nickv.
Date: November 18, 2009 03:22PM
Posted by: Ali
I think Jenson will not have a chance at McLaren honestly. McLaren if fully commited to Lewis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2009 04:27PM by Ali.
Date: November 18, 2009 04:28PM
Posted by: chet
Nick, Brawn was quoted as saying the team did only 1 week of windtunnel work after Turkey on the 09 car, and that was because they just wanted that little extra push to secure the championship.

They have been working for '10 a long while, if not longer than Mclaren. Brawn will be as strong next year (and many more) IMO. Brawn will fight for wins next season. When Nico is confirmed I will be putting a bet for Nico WDC.

I do think Mclaren for the 3 year period will be competitive too but I do not put his decision soley down to providing him with the car because this year Brawn have shown they can. As he's said in the press release its a new challenge and I respect him for that.

If Button succeeds against Lewis which is his goal then what more is there to acheive other than to beat Alonso? Button has set himself a bar, a very difficult bar but he's set himself that because he believes he can reach it and that deserves respect. Not many would choose to go against Lewis on equal terms (and it will be equal - providing Button proves he's worth it). I cant overstate that sentence!!! If Button proves he can win, Mclaren will let him.

Thinking about this all I think its clever.

Brawn would have offered a 2 year deal at most... at the end of that two years, Vettel is available and Mercedes do quite like him. Alonso may be available, Nico will be stronger, and there may be another new young-gun like Lewis. Button has secured himself 3 years in the 2nd most successful team in F1 history. Has he done this for money? Bollocks. He's done this because he thinks its the right decision for him, and for job security.

My opinion on it remains. If it had to choose I would have put him in Brawn till his career end. Its his home. Its his family. But if he feels he can get success at Mclaren then I will support him and I respect his decision to challenge himself, to find out how good he really is or isnt.

Still my other dispointment is that Button-Nico would have been my favourite lineup since Jacques-Button. Still two of my favourite drivers driving for Mclaren, I cant complain. The other thing means Button to Mclaren means Heidfeld to Brawn, and to see Nick get his chance is awesome.

Button vs Lewis vs Vettel vs Webber vs Alonso vs Massa vs Nico vs Nick.

I CANT WAIT!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2009 04:29PM by chet.
Date: November 18, 2009 04:30PM
chet schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nick, Brawn was quoted as saying the team did only
> 1 week of windtunnel work after Turkey on the 09
> car, and that was because they just wanted that
> little extra push to secure the championship.

One week? Really? They did keep coming with new parts though I think.
Date: November 18, 2009 05:05PM
Little parts here and there, but yup 1 week. It was on the BBC site a week or so ago.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Ross is quoted on some sites but cant find them. It was on Autosport.

Date: November 18, 2009 05:08PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I can't say I'm that happy with the move imho. From Button's perspective, it is understandable, as McLaren are a proven force over multiple years. However, taking on Lewis, who is so strongly engrained at McLaren will be much harder than taking on Rosberg at Mercedes, but it will be a great challenge for Jenson to prove his worth. From McLaren's perspective, it is also understandable, as Button will give great PR for their sponsors, and it will allow a British 'super-team' to possibly attract more sponsors.

However, from a fan's perspective, I don't think it necessarily is a good thing. I think most people agree that the 8 fastest cars next year will, in all likelihood, be the Ferraris, McLarens, Mercedes and Red Bulls. With this, it looked as though we were going to get (probably) the best 8 drivers in the field in the best 8 cars, until this move. Unfortunately now, Heidfeld is not as an exciting prospect as Raikkonen, which means, to me, this battle is slightly weakened.

chet Wrote:
> They have been working for '10 a long while, if
> not longer than Mclaren.

McLaren hardly gave up early in the season though.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 18, 2009 05:11PM
[www.autosport.com]

Sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Date: November 18, 2009 05:20PM
Posted by: LS.
Next years refuelling ban should put more emphasis on drivers conserving the tyre performance for as long as possible, Lewis has an agressive style compared to Buttons smooth driving style so should be interesting to see who comes out on top

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: November 18, 2009 05:28PM
Posted by: Monza972
Not happy with this choice that he made. He's going to be thrashed by Lewis from day 1. Fair enough he has the number 1, it won't feel like it. He should've stayed at Brawn since he was their Number 1 since ages.

Well lets see how this goes.
Date: November 18, 2009 05:42PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Poor Jenson

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: November 18, 2009 05:50PM
Posted by: Craigo
How can anyone say this will happen or that will happen. We know nothing yet, some teams cars could be complete crap, weve seen amazing cars go amazing one season and then awful the next. Its good that Buttons pushed himself out of what could effectively be seen as a comfort zone at brawn/mercedes, saying just because his would be team mate is seen as not as good as lewis as a team mate means he shouldnt go to macca, surely you wanna be the best in the world, if he gives lewis a run then he can say hes relly all that. Saying that lewis could destroy him but we dont know yet ;) Bring on testing and the new year

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2009 05:51PM by Craigo.
Date: November 18, 2009 05:56PM
Posted by: harjinator
what's with all the heidfeld bashing? I think the guy is seriously underrated - he may not have the exceptional speed of say, alonso or hamilton, but he's a good solid driver, and in winning machinery i reckon he could be consistent enough to be a contender, much like barrichello this year. There's a brilliant vid of quick nick's overtaking last year on youtube somewhere... well worth a watch!

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: November 18, 2009 05:57PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Craigo Wrote:
> How can anyone say this will happen or that will
> happen. We know nothing yet, some teams cars could
> be complete crap, weve seen amazing cars go
> amazing one season and then awful the next.

True, but several people have been quoted as saying that because there are few changes, in terms of design, in next year's regulations, this year's cars won't need too much work. This is why some teams have stopped developing (i.e. Ferrari, because it was a lost cause trying to fully adapt their car, in particular the suspension, with the double diffuser) early in the year, while others kept going, in the hope of finding pointers for 2010.

As such, I think we can, in a round about way, guess the top 4 teams in 2010.

harjinator Wrote:
> what's with all the heidfeld bashing? I think the
> guy is seriously underrated - he may not have the
> exceptional speed of say, alonso or hamilton, but
> he's a good solid driver, and in winning machinery
> i reckon he could be consistent enough to be a
> contender, much like barrichello this year.
> There's a brilliant vid of quick nick's overtaking
> last year on youtube somewhere... well worth a
> watch!

I think most people agree that he is a good solid driver, but that didn't help Kovalainen, who I would consider a similar type of driver.

btw, here is the video you were talking about
[]

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Obviously the Spa 2008 one doesn't really count, because he was on the superior tyre to the others.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2009 06:02PM by SchueyFan.
Date: November 18, 2009 06:49PM
You could make such a video for any driver, especially with the timespan I saw in the video. That was at least 4 years.
Date: November 18, 2009 06:50PM
Posted by: danm
If Nick Heidfeld moves to Mercedes with Rosberg - and Mercedes makes a competitive car that can win races, this will be the one guy to watch as the BIGGEST dark horse.

Nick Heidfeld Rubbish? What? DEFINITELY underrated. He doesn't moan. He doesn't whine. He is low profile. Just shuts up and drives, just liek the song :P

Can anyone remember the last Nick Heidfeld crash? Possibly not.

Seven retirements in four seasons since 2006. SEVEN! Nearly half (3) of those came from Williams in 2006.

In 2007 this guy finished in the top 6 in every race he finished bar one, no bar two. China (meh, 7th) - and Japan which race had horrendous weather at Fuji and he made it to 14th.

Nick Heidfeld - SERIOUS dark horse material. Shame he didn't move ot McLaren really!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2009 06:51PM by danm.
Date: November 18, 2009 06:56PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I agree with Dan and Craig. Fine move by Jenson, let him prove himself. Though for true measure, Jenson MUST go drive a lap at the Top Gear track ;).

"Date: November 18, 2009 08:23AM
Posted by: vesuvius (IP Logged)

Will be interesting to see how will Jenson keep up with Lewis but I think he will be crashed by a mile as I still dont think he is a top class driver."

Little bitter, aren't you? ;)
Date: November 18, 2009 07:08PM
Posted by: y2cwr2005
I commend Jenson for moving to Mclaren for the challenge, surely he could've got more than £6M if the move was all about the money.

Date: November 18, 2009 07:15PM
y2cwr2005 Wrote:
> I commend Jenson for moving to Mclaren for the
> challenge, surely he could've got more than £6M
> if the move was all about the money.

Exactly, and if there rumours are true (we wont know) Brawn did offer the £6 or even as high as the £8.

Dan - Agree about Nick! ASAP I will be betting on both Nico and Nick for the WDC, if Nick does indeed go Brawn. If Brawn makes a quick car again (IMO highly probable!) then Nick will be one at the end fighting for the title imo. Maybe not just on pure pace but by keeping on the road! And I seriously cant remember ever seeing a Heidfeld crash! Someone to tell me would nice :p

edit - Gui JB has done the lap, before Lewis. Both were 1.44.7 I think! But lewis had a slightly wet track (i believed they overstated how wet it was on show!!!!)! Impressive still. He was meant to go back and do a dry lap not so long ago but that got cancelled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2009 07:22PM by chet.
Date: November 18, 2009 07:17PM
Posted by: Shinnbob
Guimengo Wrote:
> I agree with Dan and Craig. Fine move by Jenson,
> let him prove himself. Though for true measure,
> Jenson MUST go drive a lap at the Top Gear track
> ;).

He already has i believe? (I may be wrong...)

Heidfeld is underated, i like him as a driver and he is consistent... thats what teams needs not someone that is first one race and then in the wall the next.

I am glad Jenson has moved, he now has a chance to truely proove why him and his driving style can compete with the 'top' drivers (even though i have always felt since he entered into F1 he was a very good race driver)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy