Massa: Alonso knew about race-fixing

Posted by Morbid 
Date: October 15, 2009 11:28AM
Posted by: Morbid
[www.autosport.com]

By Jonathan Noble

Felipe Massa says he remains suspicious that Fernando Alonso did know about the deliberate crash plot at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix - but has vowed not to let it affect his future relationship with the Spaniard.

Massa spoke to Brazilian media during a get-together in Sao Paulo on Wednesday and, during the lunch, he said he was in no doubt that Alonso had to have been aware of the plans for Nelson Piquet to crash deliberately in the Singapore event last year to try and help him win.

"In all, he is the least of the problem," Massa was quoted as saying by the Brazilian media about Alonso's involvement in the affair.

"It was the team and Nelson - but Alonso was part of the problem. He knew. We can not know it [but] of course he knew. [It's an] absolute certainty."

The comments created a huge media storm in Brazil ahead of this weekend's grand prix, and Massa and Ferrari moved to clarify the remarks in a statement issued on the Maranello team's official website on Wednesday evening.

In it, Massa said that his comments relate to a feeling he has rather than being based on facts, and he totally respects the FIA's findings from its investigations that Alonso was not aware of the crash plot.

"What I've said is the outcome of a hunch I've had and is not based on any concrete evidence," Massa said in his statement. "The FIA World Council announced that there was no indication that Fernando may have been informed of what had happened and I respect this outcome.

"Obviously I'm very disappointed about what transpired last year in Singapore: I have already said several times what I thought about it and now it's time to close that chapter and to look to the future.

"What is certain is that this episode will not mar in any way the relationship I'll have with Fernando when we will be team-mates."

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Re: Massa: Alonso knew about race-fixing
Date: October 15, 2009 11:44AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
Massa should stop shooting off his mouth over this incident. Alonso was cleared by the FIA so whether he had any involvement or not is not for Massa to comment pubicly on. Massa lost the race due to Ferrari screwing up his pitstop. It is in no way Piquet's fault that he lost the race and the championship because whos to say it wouldnt have happened otherwise.

Date: October 15, 2009 12:01PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Massa is just having a hissy fit because he blames Renault for him losing the title. He needs an excuse as to why he didn't win.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 15, 2009 12:15PM
Posted by: LS.

&feature=related">
&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: October 15, 2009 12:16PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
lmao. I hadn't seen the nutter mechanic part before.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 15, 2009 01:00PM
Posted by: Red_Bull
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Massa is just having a hissy fit because he blames
> Renault for him losing the title. He needs an
> excuse as to why he didn't win.

He has several. That ham fisted overtake on Hamilton at Fuji, driving like a muppet at Silverstone, spinning off at Malaysia, spinning off in Australia...

Date: October 15, 2009 01:32PM
Posted by: Team CLR
"Felipe Massa says he remains suspicious that Fernando Alonso did know about the deliberate crash plot at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix"

That's a BIG difference to saying that Massa KNEW that Alonso knew for sure, I'm guessing it was just sensationalist headlining.

Date: October 15, 2009 01:33PM
Posted by: EC83
Massa just needs to stop moaning about this. Whatever happened during the season, he lost the Championship, and that's the reality. It's not going to be changed now. If he's in the habit of blaming people for his failure to be Champion then he must be angry as hell with himself, because he threw away more points with stupid mistakes during the season than the Singapore pitstop incident possibly could've cost him. And at this rate, he's risking screwing his relationship with his new teammate before Alonso has even joined the team. It's not like they've been best of mates in the past anyway.

If he's still upset about this, he should just use it to motivate himself to try even harder next season.

Date: October 15, 2009 03:27PM
Posted by: Ali
Massa's momentum is away. He had his chance because of Kimi's lack of motivation(or whatever) last year but this is hardly going to happen with Alonso so he will probably not have another chance to be world champ...
Date: October 15, 2009 04:42PM
Posted by: Covfan
Clearly when Massa was in hospital someone brought him some sour grapes.
Date: October 15, 2009 06:20PM
Posted by: Guimengo
It's been talked about extensively here but it's naïve to think Alonso is 100% in the free, not-knowing side here. Not that it matters anyway, he's not as bad as Schumi ;).
Date: October 15, 2009 08:28PM
Posted by: Shinnbob
Still crying over spilt milk if you ask me

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy