2010 Formula One season [Huge update on page one]

Posted by madotter 
Re: 2010 Formula One season [So far]
Date: October 17, 2009 09:11PM
Posted by: danm
we are go! come on nico! party time in my pants.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: October 17, 2009 11:51PM
Posted by: Nickv
SchueyFan schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Webber would be a good option for McLaren, but I
> can't see him allowing himself to become a No.2.
> Even when asked this weekend about whether he
> would help Vettel, he said no. Obviously when push
> came to shove I'm sure he would, but its still an
> unusual statement to make.

He said something similar at the last race. He was asked the same question and he didn't really say yes or no. He just said that there are only a very few occasions on which he could help Vettel and those occasions don't occur very often. While he didn't say no, he did mean that.
Date: October 18, 2009 03:42AM
Posted by: Rod_vs
Updating... great chance:

Renault: Robert Kubica / Lucas di Grassi
Campos: Vitaly Petrov / Bruno Senna
Williams: Rubens Barrichello / Niko Hulkenberg

One Racing driver and team manager
GPGSL-3: champion in 2007/2013/2014!
GPGSL-4: testdrivers champion in Season 11!
Date: October 18, 2009 10:59AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Nickv Wrote:
> He said something similar at the last race. He was
> asked the same question and he didn't really say
> yes or no. He just said that there are only a very
> few occasions on which he could help Vettel and
> those occasions don't occur very often. While he
> didn't say no, he did mean that.

Yes, that was quite a good point. He said that the Turkish GP was the only time they have actually been together on track, which seems incredible, but its hard to think of another one. Unless weather plays a big part, it is hard to see Webber and Vettel battling on track in the race as well.

But the test for Webber's loyalty will be if Webber was leading and Vettel was 3rd (he needs to finish in the top 2 to have any chance), and whether he would forfeit a win to give Vettel a slim chance of championship glory.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 18, 2009 12:12PM
Posted by: SexySam182
SchueyFan Wrote:
> But the test for Webber's loyalty will be if
> Webber was leading and Vettel was 3rd (he needs to
> finish in the top 2 to have any chance), and
> whether he would forfeit a win to give Vettel a
> slim chance of championship glory.

I dont think even Rubens or Irvine were ever made to do that, so I highly doubt it would ever happen.

Date: October 19, 2009 01:45AM
I wonder if Sutil is back in with a shot for the No.2 McLaren seat also?

Logic says Kimi is main choice.

If Kimi doesn't go to McLaren, I don't think he will go anywhere else bar Red Bull. Toyota is just publicity. He'd rather sit at home.

That means Webber would have to leave Red Bull and head where? He has done a pretty solid and reliable job this year, worthy of that McLaren no.2 seat should Kimi take his at Red Bull.

Where else for Webber? The Renault ties are pretty ceased with Flavio, but they were talking up an experience guy moving. Trulli is a bit out of it now, I think his days are numbered to the back end new teams, ie, Lotus etc.

Perhaps Webber will partner Kubica? Quite a nice pairing I think.

I think Webber is not one to be pushed about, and McLaren with Lewis would cause a lot of friction behind the scenes, and Webber will end up looking a pratt for speaking what lies there.

Rosberg is all but confirmed as a Brawn driver. Still the leftover McLaren seat.

Heikki will be off to Toyota for that last seat there, should Kobayashi not suddenly get it (which seems more likely after today! I think Hekki will be lucky to get in one of the really small new teams, and that is a push!).

Maybe he will get sent packing to Force India, in favor of Sutil. The swapping seems much more likely, and Sutil does seem to be getting better, even if a little erratic.

Date: October 19, 2009 09:01AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I wonder if Sutil is back in with a shot for the No.2 McLaren seat also?

He gets involved in far too many accidents to be a serious contender for a higher team. Some may not be his fault, but in 2008 he had more offs than anyone else on the grid.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 19, 2009 03:39PM
Autosport is now reporting that Williams will use Cosworth engines next year:

[www.autosport.com]

Without considering the less-than-secure future of Toyota, it seems a risk to move away from them, because at least we know they are a reliable and fairly fast engine, and there is still a large element of the unknown when considering Cosworth power.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 19, 2009 03:51PM
Posted by: MrMan
Suppose Williams don't have too much to lose, the Cosworth deal is probably considerably cheaper than what they're currently paying Toyota and they'll able to get rid of Nakajima (If indeed he is there because of Toyota).

Still hoping Mclaren let the RBR - Merc deal go ahead. Anyone know how long Force India's contract is with Merc?

Date: October 19, 2009 04:06PM
Posted by: marwood82
its an interesting move.

i heard that there were no real issues with the renault deal, that it was a just a case of signing on the dotted line and writing the cheque. However whilst the cosworth was slightly cheaper, williams have gone for it after having seen some of its latest performance data and liking what they saw.

I guess with rumours also linking Red Bull with dropping renault for cosworth if their merc deals a no-go add some weight to this as they must have seen the same data as williams
Date: October 19, 2009 04:12PM
Posted by: marcl
The engine was good before, just kept going bang.

When they start testing, and if it turns out they have an advantage the FIA will either tell them to reduce power or let the others catch up anyway.
Date: October 19, 2009 04:43PM
i agree it certainly wasn't useless.

i guess the thing other thing it has going for it is that the FIA can't afford for the engine to be rubbish as they've (alegedly) forced the newcommers to use it.

no idea how true (or relivant) it is, but the talk a month or so ago, seemed to suggest that it would be more thirsty than the others which would hurt it in the race, but it would also be more powerful which would give an advantage in the new all-low fuel qualifying.

Also, as a side, Merecedes HPE had to get rid of a load of staff earlier in the year.
i heard a rumour that quite a few made the trip a few miles up the road to join Cosworth?
Date: October 19, 2009 07:19PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
SchueyFan Wrote:
> Without considering the less-than-secure future of
> Toyota, it seems a risk to move away from them,
> because at least we know they are a reliable and
> fairly fast engine, and there is still a large
> element of the unknown when considering Cosworth
> power.

Reliable? Yes. Fast? No. The Toyota engine is rumoured (no real data to compare) to be the slowest engine on the current grid. The Cosworth should be fine reliability wise, the 06 unit was running 3000+ rpm higher than is currently allowed, which is a fair whack.

Date: October 20, 2009 12:58PM
Senna talking to Campos and Manor with an outside chance of renault?

[www.autosport.com]

if the renault one comes to nothing, i'd pick Manor over Campos.
Date: October 20, 2009 01:01PM
I wouldn't be so sure on Manor v Campos. Manor is Nick Wirth, and Campos is Dallara, and they've built some of the best racing cars of all time.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 20, 2009 01:14PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> I wouldn't be so sure on Manor v Campos. Manor is
> Nick Wirth, and Campos is Dallara, and they've
> built some of the best racing cars of all time.

i completely see where you're comming from, and I don't doubt dallara's ability to produce a good car, its just with it being outsourced, i wonder if Campos have got the funds to get the best out of Dallara.

it appears that Manor have Virgin and now Lloyds money behind them, i haven't heard much from Campos with regards funding.

It'll be interesting to see what they both come up with.

i must say i'm quite intrigued to see Wirths 100% CFD f1 car.
Date: October 20, 2009 02:50PM
I doubt Renault will get him. They have said, at least through Kubica, that they want an experienced driver for them next year, and if they couldn't get one, I think they would probably just put Grosjean or di Grassi in.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 20, 2009 03:09PM
Posted by: chet
i still think Wirth is crazy for designing his car using only CFD. Its too early just yet!

Campos seem pretty well and best prepared out of all the new teams IMO.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 20, 2009 03:25PM
chet Wrote:
> i still think Wirth is crazy for designing his car
> using only CFD. Its too early just yet!

Nick Ovey - Qualified Aerodynamicist.

CFD's more reliable than a wind tunnel, and a lot easier to iterate a design with. And miles cheaper. Wirth have invested *heavily* in simulation over the past five years, on both the design and driver sides, indeed the current Acura LMP1 car was designed in this manner. They know what they're doing even if it does make for a "wtf are they doing" type headline when unknowledgeable journos get hold of the story

Ultimately CFD is just another tool though, as a wind tunnel is, and the design still depends on the talent of the engineers.

The Wirth car will have thousands of CFD hours and hundreds of design changes by the time it hits the track for the first time and I'd be surprised if it didn't produce highly competitive levels of downforce given how the Acura LMP chassis stacks up (also CFD-only as I said).

Have to bear in mind that the 1997 Stewart was the first car to be designed entirely within CAD, there certainly wasn't the computing power available for CFD back then.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 20, 2009 03:43PM
Not sure if anyone realised, but Gary Anderson has been working with Dallara as a consultant since '03. What his input translates to I am not sure - shame he didn't return to the F1 paddock.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy