FIA agrees to engine re-equalisation

Posted by marcl 
FIA agrees to engine re-equalisation
Date: September 21, 2009 06:53PM
Posted by: marcl
I read this on autosport.

[www.autosport.com]

So rather than everyone spend money to catch up Merc have to go backwards, seems very strange.

Toyota need to work on their engine anyway as its the least powerful.
Re: FIA agrees to engine re-equalisation
Date: September 21, 2009 07:01PM
Posted by: chet
Indeed strange!

Dont agree with it, I wouldnt mind Renault having the chance to catchup, but I dont like the idea of restricting Merc/Ferrari.

By all means let Renault develop, but its much harder to lose an advantage I would have thought. How can they restrict them other than quite simply a restrictor?

Seems quite backwards.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 21, 2009 07:04PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
instead of doing this every year, they should just shorten the engine freeze and build new engines every 2/3 years.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 21, 2009 07:16PM
Posted by: EC83
It's certainly a strange idea on paper, hasn't been done before, and won't be straightforward at all. But it will, in theory at least, be a lot cheaper than getting the manufacturers with less powerful engines to upgrade them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 07:17PM by EC83.
Date: September 21, 2009 07:34PM
Maybe so, but it would be mean more unnecessary work for the other teams just because Renault cant build an engine as powerful as the others. Why should Brawn, FI, Mclaren, and Ferrari spend money trying to intergrate a restrictor in the car design to not be too detrimental to overal performance when its Renault and Toyota with the problems.

Like I said I am all for allowing Renault and Toyota making adjustments to their engines because to me, though maybe more expensive (maybe not) it will be more simple, and will not hinder the performance of the other cars.

For all we know, alot of this could be down to Renault and Toyota building cars which suffer from more drag than the others. This is Renaults/Toyotas problem, no need to make it everybody elses.

Besides that for two years now, Renault have complained. How well is it going down in the board room that Mercedes next door are having to de-tune their engine so the Frenchies can catch up? I dont suppose it went down well at Honda last year either! The company was all about engines then went to having the worst car, and engine on the grid!

Date: September 21, 2009 07:55PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
So what exactly is the point in having different engines? If Mercedes does a better job then they should be allowed to benefit from it. They shouldn't be bitch slapped back down because the others suck.

If engines are going to be equalised, why not cars? Are the FIA going to turn round to Brawn and say "You guys are too fast, go make the car more crap"? It is the same thing, just a different set of components they are forcing to be changed.

You could take that to the extreme and say it about drivers too. Why not tell Alonso and Lewis to slow down to give Heidfeld a chance?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 21, 2009 08:24PM
Posted by: gav
They should throw engine equalisation away. It's not working, hasn't worked, and won't work until they independently bench every new engine prior to it being run.

Just allow teams to do what they like within certain guidelines. Budget. Design. Miles. Whatever. Something that allows for progression, but within reason, primarily financial.
Date: September 21, 2009 08:31PM
Posted by: marcl
Totally agree Dave its stupid.

Its probably easier to make a weaker engine better than a strong engine worse.

Its just a another dig at Merc by looks of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 08:32PM by marcl.
Date: September 21, 2009 09:25PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
I bet that if it was Ferrari it wouldn't be a problem...they would just tell the other teams to shove it, and make their engines better. It's funny in a way. Now that Mercedes finally have the best engine, they need to make it worse ;)
Date: September 21, 2009 10:27PM
Posted by: Nickv
How can the FIA keep up the slogan 'F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport' if they do this? How can something be a pinnacle of anything if you have to make things worse because you are too good?
Date: September 21, 2009 11:01PM
Posted by: EC83
They're trying to make F1 like the BTCC was circa 1991. Homogenated @#$%&. Only with a lot less overtaking.

Date: September 22, 2009 06:42PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
What a stupid idea. Is F1 meritocratic or Communist? Why don't they just ban people from winning more than one race a year while they're at it?

[Website]
Date: September 22, 2009 06:51PM
Ferrari_Fuhrer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What a stupid idea. Is F1 meritocratic or
> Communist? Why don't they just ban people from
> winning more than one race a year while they're at
> it?

LOL!!

Someone on the grid would be left out unless we had now 28 races ;)!

Date: September 22, 2009 06:56PM
Posted by: KeHo85
Isn't this just another sneaky ay of the FIA trying to make a single engine formula that the manufacturers complained about earlier this year?
Date: September 22, 2009 07:48PM
Posted by: Team CLR
Like I said on the other thread about this, it's a real pursuit of mediocrity, and it offers NO incentive to for the engine manufacturers to make a superior product. It's sub-standard all round. Really.

Date: September 22, 2009 08:34PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Definitely seems like Super Mosley at the rescue of the Cosworth teams he selfishly brought into the sport for 2010.
Date: September 22, 2009 08:49PM
[www.jamesallenonf1.com]

Nice article from James there.

Interesting that Cosworth say their engine is upto par with Renault and TF and maybe Ferrari.

Date: September 22, 2009 09:01PM
Posted by: Guimengo
They would not try to sell their engine saying it's crap, would they? :P
Date: September 22, 2009 09:02PM
Posted by: Team CLR
I just can't see how this is going to work, let alone benefit the sport, I really can't.

It just looks like the engine manufacturers will simply make engines that work, and that's it. If they feel their engines are too slow, then they know all the other engines will simply have the power turned down to compensate. And if a company really does put in a top effort, they have to undo some of the hard work that they've done to accomodate. Like I said before, there's no incentive to get the most (if anything special at all) out of the engine. So the attitude at the engine manufacturers will go from "Ok, how can we squeeze out that extra one HP?" to one of "Why bother?"

F1 could well soon suffer the embarrassment of having LESS powerful engines than other formulae/series.

It's a joke.

Date: September 22, 2009 09:02PM
Posted by: KeHo85
It's not really going to make a bit of difference if they do is it? If a Force India chassis is not as good as a Ferrari chassis then it's not going to equal the pace at all, so what will the FIA do then? Order Ferrari to make their cars out of Lego so that Force India can catch up? It's ludicrous!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy