Two-year suspended ban for Renault over Singapore conspiracy

Posted by Gigi4 
Dave is right on the principle.

Look at all the Social Worker/child protection scandal we have in the UK from time to time. Some kid dies or is injured because a social worker, or a social worker team are perceived to not do their job properly.

It is not enough for the Council involved to sack the social worker and carry on as if nothing happened. The organisation has responsibility for the conduct of its staff, and will normally be punished as such.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
What a load of crap.

Williams, Toyota and BAR as a company had control over how they met the regulations through their employees. It was not the company as such that, failed, but their employees failed in not fulfilling their duties as they should.

This is exactly what happened with Renault, except instead of honest mistakes, they blatantly cheated.

Regardless of whether an infringement is sporting or technical, the team is responsible as it is the team as a whole who must meet the regulations. It's not an individual sport, but a team sport. And when that team has cheaters in its midst, the team has cheated. Thus, the team should be punished.

And thrown out.

[Website]
I personally think this whole deal is rather boring. A decision has been made and doesn't seem like they'll change it, so let it rest ;)
The thing that annoys me most of all is that Piquet is still free to drive... with all of his dad's money, it is possible he will be back.

RedSam

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Sam, cant say ive taken a great notice in it so dont know the full story behind the social work problems so cant really compare.

What a load of crap.

Williams, Toyota and BAR as a company had control over how they met the regulations through their employees. It was not the company as such that, failed, but their employees failed in not fulfilling their duties as they should.

This is exactly what happened with Renault, except instead of honest mistakes, they blatantly cheated.

Regardless of whether an infringement is sporting or technical, the team is responsible as it is the team as a whole who must meet the regulations. It's not an individual sport, but a team sport. And when that team has cheaters in its midst, the team has cheated. Thus, the team should be punished.

And thrown out.

I dont disagree that they should be punished, and like I said I would not disagree with a race DQ, but to be thrown out???

I point you to Daves post,

The Benetton was proven to have Launch Control and Traction Control software. Specificly at the French GP. But Charlie Whiting said they couldn't be banned because they had no proof that they actually ran the system, only that it was installed.

At Hockenheim Benetton removed the fuel filters from the fuel rig. It allowed the fuel to flow significantly faster through the rig, giving an advantage. The disadvantage was of course that it set fire to Jos Verstappen. They may have been running previous events without the filters too. Nobody knows except those involved.

At Spa Schumachers car was too low. The plank was worn down too much and they were DQ'd. Benetton appealed, claiming that Schumacher spinning over a kerb was the cause of the wear. The FIA stated the wear was in a different place on the car than what went over the kerb. The DQ stood.

At Silverstone, Schumacher bizzarely overtook Hill twice on the formation lap. Hill repassed both times. Schumacher was given a 5 second stop and go, but was ordered to stay out by the Benetton team. Flavio and Tom Walkinshaw (2 of the most corrupt men in the history of motorsport) were see arguing with officials in the pit lane. For ignoring the stop and go call, Schumacher was shown the black flag and ordered to park the car. He pitted and took the 5 second penalty. Benetton claimed the penalty had now been taken, but it was too late. He had been disqualified. Schumacher raced till the end but was given a 2 race ban and disqualified from the race.

The same punishment as here would be suitable, a race ban or two. But not to be thrown out.

Otherwise if that were the case, why the hell were they not thrown out when all this above happened??? The whole black flag thing deserved alot more than a 2 race ban!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
I only mention the Social Care thing because its what I have experience of, but Corporate Responsibility exists across the board really.

RedSam

Without a doubt in my mind, under a fair and consistent system Renault should have gotten punished. Race-fixing, intentional crashing of F1 cars is about as far down the road of "bringing the sport into disrepute" as you can go. Maybe these actions were the actions of just three men, but they were employed by the Renault company and therefore it is the duty of Renault to keep them in line and effectively they are responsible for them.

But...

I'm glad they didn't get punished. If they had been, Renault would probably have walked. As it is, it's been played out perfectly as three renegade employees who will ship all the blame and the Renault name gets out of this as untarnished as possible. Why is that a good thing? Well does anyone really want Renault out of the sport? I don't. And I don't just mean as a team either, I mean there would have been serious questions about them leaving the sport altogether as an engine supplier. And there's too few engine suppliers in F1 at the moment for that to happen. As unjust as it all is, in my eyes common sense has prevailed on this one.
Bob Bell will take over as team principal for the rest of the season.

[www.formula1.com]

Not a bad choice at all, it preserves SOME continuity within the team. Pretty ironic that his first race as team boss will be the Singapore GP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2009 12:55PM by Team CLR.
Well, now they are screwed, IGN has just pulled the plug with immediate effect.

Will they have time to change all the teams clothing before Friday practice??

[en.f1-live.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy