TV Graphics

Posted by Paul Boy 
TV Graphics
Date: September 13, 2009 08:58PM
Posted by: Paul Boy
I know I've said this before, but the current TV graphics suck. I have been watching the Classic F1 clips from the BBC, and the TAG Heuer graphics are big, and alot easier to follow than the current LG ones.
Today the last 14 laps Lewis was hunting down Jenson, did the graphics show this gap, no not really I had the rely on Legard.............nuff said. Ifn fact from lap 14 to around lap 3 we had the running order scrolling along the bottom repeatedly telling me how many times each driver had stopped!! whats that all about?

Some of the information graphics are good and work well, it just the timing side in race and quail that's poor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2009 09:16PM by Paul Boy.
Re: TV Graphics
Date: September 13, 2009 09:10PM
Posted by: gav
Paul Boy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If fact from lap 14 to around lap 3 we had
> the running order scrolling along the bottom
> repeatedly telling me how many times each driver
> had stopped!! whats that all about?

I'll agree on that. It's annoyed me for the past 2 seasons. I think "ooh good, let's have a look through"... then it's got everyone stopping 0 times... cheers. That's useful 2 or 3 times during the race - 90% of the time it should be gaps.

I know I could stick a laptop on my knee with live timing, as I did a few years back when chatting on MSN during races, but frankly, you shouldn't need to now.

They stick the order on the side in qualifying, yet in the race you're left with little useful info.
Date: September 13, 2009 09:19PM
Posted by: chet
As I said in the race thread, its so stupid. What use is it compared to say showing lap times/gaps? Very bugging!

Whilst we're on TV issues, the BBC again had mic problems!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 13, 2009 11:10PM
Posted by: Monza972
Yeah, it's really annoying and the fact that it has so much of that "shiny" effect on it you can't see what bloody number it is. I kept seeing 4 as 14 and vice versa.

And on the BBC, Legard was good today. And Problems with BBC are to be expected, they have it with all sports. I remember that happening with a Football match.
Date: September 13, 2009 11:53PM
Posted by: matt3454
Yeah i was watching it at work where it was on mute.

On like lap two they displayed the running order, but with stops made. Of course at that point no one had pitted. Pointless.

Date: September 14, 2009 03:10AM
Posted by: Shinnbob
I think the style is nice, but they are too small, and can show innapropriate data as already said in this thread. Also notice they got Fisichella and Sutils radios confused in the race?

And the BBC had a good day on that tangent. Brundle did well as usual, and Legard did well too... I think they are both working well together now, and its Legard has come along well in his sommentary, something which i think he lacked at the start of the season

Date: September 14, 2009 06:10AM
Posted by: casabonka
Brundle the commedian was back with his brilliant call on having spears instead of curbs!
But since the Digital graphics in 2002? they have gotten smaller and smaller whilst TVs are bigger and bigger...
A tiny bit bigger would be great.

What I loved was in the mid 90's when it scrolled from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 etc, etc, they really do need to bring that back!

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: September 14, 2009 10:53AM
Posted by: Nickv
I'd rather have gaps than stops too, that's far more interesting to know. On everything else though, the current graphics are far superior to the TAG ones in every aspect.
Date: September 14, 2009 02:14PM
Posted by: Gigi4
and did you noticed there are only gaps from sector to sector and no more live gap?

Date: September 14, 2009 09:45PM
Posted by: Paul Boy
matt3454 Wrote:
> Yeah i was watching it at work where it was on
> mute.
>
> On like lap two they displayed the running order,
> but with stops made. Of course at that point no
> one had pitted. Pointless.

You have put the nail on the head........ if you had no commentary you'd be pretty clueless on whats going on, either race or qualifying. The lack of timing info like when the cross the start/finish line in the TAG days is just inexcusable
Scrolling information is also difficult to follow, they just need show full driver names and the order in blocks of 8 or 10..........AND MAKE IT BIGGER.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2009 09:48PM by Paul Boy.
Date: September 15, 2009 01:59AM
Posted by: EC83
Their reason for keeping the scrolling graphics small would be so they don't take up too much of the screen and risk obscuring the race pictures. That must be the reason why they're made semi-transparent too.

casabonka Wrote:
> Brundle the commedian was back with his brilliant
> call on having spears instead of curbs!
> But since the Digital graphics in 2002? they have
> gotten smaller and smaller whilst TVs are bigger
> and bigger...
> A tiny bit bigger would be great.

Martin made a few great comments this weekend. His comment before the race about the cars "growing warts again" was a LOL too.

> What I loved was in the mid 90's when it scrolled
> from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 etc, etc, they really do need
> to bring that back!

It was brought in at the start of 1994. I agree, I miss that too. The figures were nice and clear, and you had a nice long time to check out each gap before the next one got shown.

And +1 to what basically everybody has said on the gaps being shown instead of stops thing.

Date: September 15, 2009 02:15AM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
Yeah 90's TV Graphics was neat and simple. Compare to the tv graphics of 21st century... it looks sick! so messed up! whos the designer of this layout anyway!!!?? i would smash his penis with a hammer for ruining my f1

Date: September 15, 2009 02:33PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I think the graphics themselves are ok, its just the information from them could be optimised.

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy