Active Suspension.... legal? illegal?

Posted by chet 
Active Suspension.... legal? illegal?
Date: July 20, 2009 12:43PM
Posted by: chet
Active Suspension is banned right, the idea was too keep the car at a specific ride at all times using various control and feedback systems, the car was kept at the most optimal ride height for the conditions. Now this was achieved using hydraulic actuators which responded to the cars dynamics using feedback (I guess maybe a combo of open-loop and closed-loop systems).

We know that cornering left weight transfers to the right, and so I guess the active suspension pumped more hydraulic pressure into the actuators on the right hand side, and like wise under braking and on acceleration the correct amount of pressure was applied at the correct corners of the car.

That was banned, but it was an automatic response because simply human response can not act quick enough for the demands at that time. However is it illegal for this to happen now? Like underbraking the nose dips, would it be illegal if there is a system which operates at the touch of a button from a driver. Say, before a braking zone, press the button and more hydraulic pressure is forced to the front in an attempt to stop the nose dip forward and weight transfer forward, then do the same under acceleration but reverse? The driver now controls alot of elements in the car such as fuel mixture, revs, and even diff I believe. Would such a device controlled by the driver be illegal?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: Active Suspension.... legal? illegal?
Date: July 20, 2009 01:10PM
Posted by: EC83
Illegal, unless otherwise stated by the FIA.

Date: July 20, 2009 08:24PM
Posted by: NickKK
Has been illegal for 15 years now I think. Even the button system you mention would be too fiddly and would compromise the suspension on corner turn-in, mid-corner and exit, unless the driver is expected to make 4-5 button extra button button adjustments through a corner !

Date: July 20, 2009 09:02PM
Posted by: chet
Through a sequence of corners I imagine it would be difficult for for lets say a single left hander, break, then a right hander it may be a little easier. Certainly underbraking and under acceleration. If not hydraulic, maybe using electromagnetism? I may have a read through and see how the regulations define active suspension.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 26, 2009 12:21AM
Posted by: senninho
These are the relevant regs:

10.2.2 Any powered device which is capable of altering the configuration or affecting the performance of any
part of the suspension system is forbidden.
10.2.3 No adjustment may be made to the suspension system while the car is in motion.

Therefore, even a driver-actuated system wouldn't be allowed.

Date: August 01, 2009 11:59AM
Posted by: Cyberacer
Even if it were allowed, wouldn't be possible for the driver.

Imagine what NickKK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even the button system you mention would be too fiddly
> and would compromise the suspension on corner
> turn-in, mid-corner and exit, unless the driver is
> expected to make 4-5 button extra button button
> adjustments through a corner !

in a CHICANE !!! LOL ;)

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy