It's crunch time for Formula 1...

Posted by flat tyre 
It's crunch time for Formula 1...
Date: July 14, 2009 08:53PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Suppoedly before the end of Wendesday, the future of Formula 1 will be decided - will there be a breakaway championship or not? The FOTA have said that this deadline will be it. If the concorde agreement is signed with the FIA, Formula 1 will survive. If it isn't signed, CVC will join the FOTA and create the breakaway championship. Incidently, Bernie Ecclestone has said that he would support the FOTA series if it went ahead, and the banner 'GP1 series' along with logo has been registered. Trademarks have also been applied for both 'Formula Grand Prix' and 'Formula GP'.

Who knows what will happen?? I don't! It could go any way as far as I can see. Bernie has promised to save the sport, but the teams seem to be reluctantly heading for the breakaway...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 08:59PM by flat tyre.
Re: It's crunch time for Formula 1...
Date: July 14, 2009 09:20PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
I think he registered those before FOTA could take them..

Date: July 14, 2009 09:23PM
Hmm, from the many articles that I've read, Bernie and CVC were meant to be using them as a banner to support the breakaway series, if they had to. But then again, we all know reports can be wrong :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 09:25PM by flat tyre.
Date: July 14, 2009 10:10PM
Posted by: jbnd05
I don't think I'd stick with Bernie if I were FOTA.

Date: July 14, 2009 10:11PM
Posted by: chet
GP1?

It was a long while ago I saw that name as a possible name for F1. I remember the secret came to light in the Times when MotoGP apparently tried to register that name, only to find a certain Mr Bernie Ecclestone already had the rights. Of course I thought nothing of it until GP2 came about, then I thought, is he about to change the name??

But it seems the reason could quite simply be a backup. Now, funnily enough I believe the story came about in 2003, and hey presto, wasnt that the last time a breakaway was threatend?

The wonderful thing about CVC getting invovled is that they are the ones with the money (or owed money, i dont quite know!).

Even still I cant see a breakaway forming...

edit - "Suppoedly before the end of Wendesday, the future of Formula 1 will be decided"

Replace Wednesday with any date from the past few weeks(!!!!!) and how often have we heard that?!!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 10:13PM by chet.
Date: July 14, 2009 10:15PM
Posted by: EC83
One thing that'll be interesting is how long this drags on for. It's already gone on for nearly a month after the original deal was supposed to have been done to end the threat of a breakaway.
I get the feeling that this will go on at least till Max goes...

Date: July 14, 2009 10:43PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Chetsky, I do believe CVC are the ones owed money and who also owe money ;). They borrowed a ton to buy the F1 rights, they're still paying so they really want this ordeal to end positively.
Date: July 15, 2009 09:20AM
Posted by: Team CLR
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Replace Wednesday with any date from the past few
> weeks(!!!!!) and how often have we heard that?!!!

I'ts been "crunch time" a good 3-4 times already, this story has more crunch than a rusk! It's starting to look like each side NEEDS the other, and everyone wants to race in one series, but under THEIR rules, not the other side's.

Date: July 15, 2009 01:49PM
Mosely will NOT stand for re-election, he's announced. He's tipped Jean Todt to be his successor.

[www.formula1.com]

YAY! Come on Vatanten :)

Date: July 15, 2009 02:11PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Ari ftw.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 15, 2009 02:37PM
Posted by: chet
2009, the year of new winners and a new president. What a great year.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 15, 2009 07:19PM
All we need now is Ari Vatanen then we're good to go.

Date: July 15, 2009 07:38PM
That's the rally dude, right? Would be nice
Date: July 15, 2009 08:19PM
Posted by: EC83
C'mon Ari!!!!! :):):)

Date: July 15, 2009 08:30PM
Posted by: Team CLR
I must admit Todt has a better set of credentials, but I wouldn't want him in so soon after having run an F1 team, regardless of what Moseley says about Todt's impartiality.

Date: July 15, 2009 08:31PM
Mr. James Allen ;)
Date: July 15, 2009 09:01PM
Posted by: smorr
Screw that.

ME! Pick me! My racing credentials are much greater than any of these chumps put together... I've won the Indy 500 about 16 times, Daytona 500 Twice, And several hundred F1 races. Not to mention countless rallies... I've also both started and quelled SEVERAL revolutions. So, if that's your thing, Im your man!

I shall run under a campaign of pure shenanigans, and thereby return motorsports back to the level of "Creative engineering."

So, VOTE FOR ME!

Joking aside, Id rather this whole thing curl up and die. F1 really has been, well, as close as the points have been recently (Last corner of the last lap of the last race in the RAIN?) the series is still just utter boring. It's gotten better, but, time to lay the ol girl to bed.

BRING ON THE BREAKAWAY!

The Flanker is gone. :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2009 09:03PM by smorr.
Date: July 15, 2009 09:11PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
"In a letter to FIA member clubs, the 69-year-old Briton said he has actually received 100 messages urging him to stay put." - F1-Live

i bet most of them were from his current cabinet members, because under some absurd rule new FIA presidential hopefuls can't use the same cabinet members as the previous president.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 15, 2009 09:13PM
Posted by: Nickv
I wonder why people who say that F1 has become boring still watch it.

Anyway, FIA presidents are elected by the FIA, right? So somebody who'd want to change things in the FIA (Vatanen) wouldn't have much of a chance then, would he?
Date: July 15, 2009 09:17PM
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "In a letter to FIA member clubs, the 69-year-old
> Briton said he has actually received 100 messages
> urging him to stay put." - F1-Live
>
> i bet most of them were from his current cabinet
> members, because under some absurd rule new FIA
> presidential hopefuls can't use the same cabinet
> members as the previous president.

So it's as inevitable as turkeys not voting for Christmas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy