Bulgarian Grand Prix?

Posted by SchueyFan 
Bulgarian Grand Prix?
Date: July 02, 2009 07:34PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
It looks like there is a strong possibility that a Bulgarian Grand Prix could be signed soon to start in 2011.

[en.f1-live.com]

It certainly seems like an interesting choice for a new country to join F1, and against the trend towards Asia and the Middle East. The country seems to have fairly little motorsport heritage, and they have never had an F1 driver, so it seems to be a brave move by the government to invest in this. They also have MotoGP and WRC rounds coming soon, so it looks like they are putting a big effort and investment into motorsport.

It could be a candidate to replace Turkey on the calendar, considering the very low crowds at Istanbul and the supposed lack of support from the authorities. With Russia's new 'Moscow Raceway' also scheduled to be finished in the next few years, we could have a couple of more races in Eastern Europe, putting more pressure on Turkey, and maybe even Hungary as well, within a calendar which seems to have more applicants than places.

From what i can find, there seems to be little known about the track other than it will probably be in the city of Pleven. Hopefully it will be a permanent track and hopefully they learn from some of the more recent designs such as Algarve.

X (@ed24f1)
Re: Bulgarian Grand Prix?
Date: July 02, 2009 10:38PM
Posted by: msater
Just hope it doesn't become a Tilke drome. I'd like to see more East European tracks, but without Tilke's involvement, if that's at all possible.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: July 02, 2009 11:59PM
Posted by: EC83
Makes sense from a tourism point of view, Bulgaria is very popular. Sounds good.
Hope the track is decent one! :)

Date: July 03, 2009 01:40AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
i am a bulgarian ! and i can tell you this much ! THE INTEREST TO THE MOTORSPORT IN MY COUNTRY IS ............. HUGEEEEEEE ! if you vvisit a bulgarian internet formula 1 site you will see more comments than in many other international webs. The only possible issue may be a financical one, but hey... a few years ago (2006) a football club team LEVSKI SOFIQ, played in the championchip cup with barca chelsea and werder in the same group and the stadium was allways FULL ! I am sure F1 fans will produce a great great atmosphere , not only because they love the sport, but because they are party people and know how to make it .... FUN ! That's just the way it is in Bulgaria. And dont forget how many bulgarian fans there were at istanbul park ( maybe more than the turks were :D ). So , donst say you hope it will be a permanent track because as i said, the only issue could be financical.

And i didnt say all those things just from patriotismus ! It's just the way it is !
But i personally dont believe it will happen. However ..KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED !
Date: July 03, 2009 06:46AM
ok, thanks for that perspective mitadumapaga. if there is a very large motorsport following in the country, then i think it will be a successful idea - and the fact that your government is getting WRC and MotoGP, and trying to get F1 obviously is testament to this.

and if it does replace the Turkish event, i suppose a few of Turkish fans could also go to this event.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 03, 2009 10:38AM
Posted by: Gigi4
mitadumapaga Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So , donst say you hope it will be a permanent
> track because as i said, the only issue could be
> financical.

you mean there could be a temporary city track?

Date: July 03, 2009 10:49AM
i doubt it, because they have signed an agreement for MotoGP to come to Bulgaria in 2012, and for obvious reasons, MotoGP don't race on street circuits. so a permanent track seems the most likely option. i suppose it could be a 'temporary' track like Albert Park or Montreal though, or maybe they will even have different venues for F1 and MotoGP.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 03, 2009 11:09AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
i mean , that in bulgaria money is always problem ! And organising an F1 event is definately everything else but cheap ! So if the country beginns to struggle financicaly, then organising the whole event would be a problem in the upcoming years. But hey, Bernnie will not give us a permission to build a f1 track without having the amount of financical securance f1 needs.
Date: July 04, 2009 08:41PM
Posted by: NickKK
I honestly don't see my country managing to save enough money from being stolen to build a Grand Prix class racing circuit...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy