Jonathan Legard

Posted by Paul Boy 
Re: Jonathan Legard
Date: June 07, 2009 02:25PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
i would say get rid of ben edwards first, he just looks bored all the time and stands wonky.

legard is ok i prefer him to JA but i think it would be better to stick davidson in there instead or maybe Jonathan Pearce if they can drag him away from footy.

and maybe get a better anchor but right now i can't think of anyone.
Date: June 07, 2009 04:42PM
Posted by: Fincent
Absolutely dire commentary today from the BBC. Legard just doesnt make me excited about formula one. Didn't build any tension at the start, frequently stopped for long pauses, didn't seem too fussed that people were overtaking at the start and we actually had some fantastic racing. What annoys me the most is that he seems to talk down to drivers as if they're all just little children.

Get him out asap.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: June 07, 2009 05:05PM
Posted by: Peat
I watched with the 5Live Comms today and WOW! What a difference. Crofy and Davidson make it sound exciting, are very knowledgable and have a bloody good laugh while doing it.

I flicked over to the main comms a few times and bloody hell does Martin sound down in the dumps. The only time Martin gets a look in is when Legard takes a massive, impromptu, pause from his endless vomits of useless information. Martin just seems a bit tense, not at ease with the situation. He obviously isnt too impressed.(I hate to say this, really it pains me, but AT LEAST Allen was interested in what Martin had to say and had the respect to let him say it.)

I hadnt given it much thought before this weekend, and thought this thread was a little previous, but now i have seen the light! 5Live FTW!

Date: June 07, 2009 05:12PM
Posted by: Team CLR
Fincent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Absolutely dire commentary today from the BBC.
> Legard just doesnt make me excited about formula
> one. Didn't build any tension at the start,
> frequently stopped for long pauses, didn't seem
> too fussed that people were overtaking at the
> start and we actually had some fantastic racing.
> What annoys me the most is that he seems to talk
> down to drivers as if they're all just little
> children.
>
> Get him out asap.

Wow, Legard was being an absolute tool today, nowhere near the levels of annoyance that allen could produce, but there were shades of it.

Got a question, is the Croft guy you are talking about the same guy who does the commentary with Davidson on the Fri practices? If so, she should take Legard's spot.

Date: June 07, 2009 05:15PM
Posted by: chet
I think I was being stupid today but I really couldnt find the 5live commentary!!The onboard feed was there and I could inter-change commentary and non, but in any other menu I could not see the 5live? :s maybe i was just being blind...

Also one thing I noticed, Legard said turn the wick up today, well up or down! :D!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 07, 2009 05:16PM
Posted by: gav
David Croft does FP1 and FP3 with Ant, yeah.
Date: June 07, 2009 05:26PM
Posted by: Briere
Fincent Wrote:
> [Legard] frequently stopped for long pauses
>
I guess that this is to allow TSN and Ten to go on ads on their own without breaking the commentary for the Canadian and Australian viewers :)
Date: June 07, 2009 05:57PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
i wouldn't get hopes up with davidson - with a minimum of three teams joining f1 next year, and possibly up to 10, he will probably be in line for a racing return.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 07, 2009 06:01PM
Posted by: matt3454
With respect to whoever suggested a new anchor.

I think Jake Humphries does a great job. When i watched the qualifying yesterday him DC and Jordan did a great job with what they do, was also quite funny as well.

But I hate to say it but Legard is not up to it. I would listen to the 5live commentary as well but i have to a download or iplayer due to working during the day.

Date: June 07, 2009 06:07PM
Posted by: Monza972
matt3454 Wrote:
> With respect to whoever suggested a new anchor.
>
> I think Jake Humphries does a great job. When i
> watched the qualifying yesterday him DC and Jordan
> did a great job with what they do, was also quite
> funny as well.
>
> But I hate to say it but Legard is not up to it. I
> would listen to the 5live commentary as well but i
> have to a download or iplayer due to working
> during the day.

Will agree with Matt and I'm sure everyone else will, the host doesn't need changing. He's really informative and interested in the sport and during the coverage he makes little jokes and such to lighten the mood. Unlike ITV where we had Steve Rider and Blundell dishing out things which we just read on F1-Live.

But Yeah, Legard needs to be out. He's more suited to the radio coverage with Maurice Hamilton or something (Who btw, I do not like listening to on the FP2 coverage)
Date: June 07, 2009 06:16PM
Posted by: The Lopper
matt3454 Wrote:
>
> I think Jake Humphries does a great job.

+ 1. Very well informed, but he's well able to do light entertainment as well. I can almost see him hosting his own chat show. ;)
Date: June 07, 2009 06:21PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
jake is great as is dc.

legard HAS to go NOW. Martin is like gone into his shell because legard just wont let him talk. Watched it on 302 today and much better. Not everyone will agree but between legard and allen, i would go allen.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 07, 2009 06:21PM
Posted by: Fincent
I have no problem with any other aspect of the BBC coverage, it's all fantastic! It's just Legard. At the start of the season I was willing to give him a fair chance and let him develop and get used to the role and it briefly looked as if he was doing well after the first few races. But recently I've found myself wandering off mid race and just not interested in what's going on that much. I dont get that feeling of anticipation, that something is actually happening.

And Peat has a very good point too about Brundle. He just can't get a word in. Every time he tries to speak, Legard will speak over him. There just isn't that connection there and now that you mention it, I can definitely see it having a negative impact on Martin's performance in the box as well.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: June 07, 2009 08:35PM
Posted by: Muks_C
Jake has good intelliegence and is on the ball all the time, like when he didn't ask DC's opinion for pole-sitter and commented that he'd just chooce one of the Red Bull drivers. i'm really warming like him and think he's doing a brilliant job. and the banter between all the hosts + Brundle pre-race was great.

i don't mind Legard. although he leaves long silences, that, for me, is much much more preferable to James Allen gibbering on about nothing and patronising the audience ("Martin, please explain what a tyre is..." etc.)

i simply can't believe some of you have said you'd now prefer James back in place of Legard.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: June 07, 2009 08:45PM
Posted by: LS.
Its funny how no one has mentioned the " technical insights" oversteer, apex etc. BBC have impressed me with their extra red button stuff for practice etc but things havent changed that much from ITV ( not thats a bad thing) made me smile when i thought back to all the Hamilton bashers having a go at ITV for focusing on Lewis all the time, now BBC are doing it with Jenson.

I realise its because of two factors, (1) Hes leading the WDC (2) British

Makes me smile though at the people who thought that other countrys didnt focus on their own native drivers ;)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: June 07, 2009 09:05PM
Posted by: gav
LS. Wrote:
> Makes me smile though at the people who thought
> that other countrys didnt focus on their own
> native drivers ;)

It wasn't that ITV didn't focus on other drivers, more that they barely touched them at all. The Beeb are talking to all manner of personalities up and down the pit lane.

Everything the BBC have done has been better... just need Brundle and/or DC to be driving a car at a track to complete the set, and given time, maybe I would have preferred Allen to Legard. I just hope BBC do what they should and finish off the debate and replace Legard with Croft at the end of the season.
Date: June 07, 2009 09:13PM
Posted by: flat tyre
LS. Wrote:
> thought back to all the Hamilton bashers having a
> go at ITV for focusing on Lewis all the time, now
> BBC are doing it with Jenson.

I don't think it's anywhere near as bad with the BBC. ITV sucked up to Hamilton so much that it made me sick, but it seems to me that the BBC are simply appreciating what a fantastic job Jenson is doing at the minute. I'm sure that if you went back to ITV, you'd realise just how much worse they were! The BBC are also covering every other driver well - something that ITV was oblivious to.

And if not, you've got to admit that the BBC banter is 4000 times better than the efforts from ITV.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: June 07, 2009 09:18PM
Posted by: Muks_C
just think back to the scripted nonsense between Steve Ryder and "Blunders" Blundell, and you can appreciate how much better Jake, DC and EJ are. they of course will be covering some scripted points of discussion, but they can think more on-the-fly too, and it just comes across so much better, much more natural like three blokes just chatting.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: June 07, 2009 09:40PM
Posted by: ferrariman
matt3454 Wrote:
>
> I think Jake Humphries does a great job.

LOL when he nearly got run over in the pit lane before the race. So much better than ITV
Date: June 07, 2009 09:48PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Today was easily the best F1 coverage I've seen in a long time

The pre race stuff was interesting, I mean that grid walk was great and the after race stuff was good too, they showed the whole of the press conference, had a good chat afterwards when they where down in the BMW place, really enjoyed the F1 today

Even qualifying yesterday was good, I like the chat they had with Fisi as they where walking down the pits

I was starting to zone out with the commentary though, Legard while a good commentator he does bore me a bit

Let him see out the year and perhaps get the guy from FP1 in, can't think of his name

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy