The Turkish Grand Prix Thread **SPOILERS**

Posted by turkey_machine 
Re: The Turkish Grand Prix Thread **SPOILERS**
Date: June 07, 2009 04:13PM
Posted by: The Lopper
It's gotten a bit boring again...I'm hoping the banning of refueling will lead to fewer races like this one.

Good races for Webber, Rosberg and Glock...If Glock could only qualify. Ferrari were a bit nowhere...
Date: June 07, 2009 04:18PM
Posted by: ludwig
y2cwr2005: i agree completly. its exactly wot i thought during the race. i used to be a schumacher fan and couldnt see people's problem with f1. now im kinda feeling it myself. right now im not really a fan of any particular guy and just want fun races...but today i was literally praying for vettel to stay ahead after the start....he did....only to throw it away later. monaco was the same, from the moment that button stayed ahead of raikonnen and even barichello passed him, i knew we were in for another button win. lets hope, unlike schumacher, it wont be several seasons in a row.

im a little bit dissappointed by barrichello. i mean its the second time in his career hes in a winning team and hasnt even pulled off a win with brawn yet let alone threatened his teammate
Date: June 07, 2009 05:00PM
Posted by: chet
Perfect :p

About 3tenths + / lap Button was quicker than the RedBulls. Not bad at all.

Piquet, good racing with Lewis...

Rubens was all over! Silverstone should do him good!

Vettel lost 2nd all by himself, he's young and racing against a guy who has had years experiencing it all. Thanks to his midpack battles Button has learnt alot. It was experience that has stopped him from making errors such as Lewis at Monaco, Vettel at Monaco and Turkey.

Webber did well and beat his team-mate fair and square, though Vettels strategy does have to be questioned! Like Rubens at Spain I guess.

Nico did well :D:D:D:D!!

Trulli did well and saved Toyota's rep a little.

Ferrari were nowhere. HUGE disapointment considering how well the weeekend went before Qualifying. BMW finished about 6 seconds behind! What happened?!

10 races left. Alot could happen, this championship is not yet Buttons and anyone to assume differently would be silly.

Silverstone should be more of a challenge to Brawn, well Button at least, but then hopefully back at Germany they will have the next big update :)!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 07, 2009 05:20PM
Posted by: gav
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Piquet, good racing with Lewis...

That's 2 of the past 3 races he's been within inches of a retirement and saved it. I'm impressed!

Though I'd have killed to have been a fly on the wall in the Bruno household when Piquet locked up and just waved Rubens through. :P
Date: June 07, 2009 05:58PM
Posted by: Slash
Vettel cracks under pressure
i remember in 2001 at Indy when Jenson was only in his 2nd year and he had Frentzen all the race behind trying to overtake and we all know how Frentzen used to drive
Jenson never put a wheel wrong and didn´t make a mistake or anything like that, he just has it in him, it's a gift you don't get with experience or anything lik that, you can ask Barrichello

this race was critical for Jenson's chmpionship hopes, but now it seems they can win anywhere and Jenson's level of performance can be compared with great ones like Schumacher, not even the recent champions where as effective as Jenson is!, including Kimi
Date: June 07, 2009 06:12PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
a good race for Webber, but he was lucky to get 2nd really, he was slower than Vettel today. nonetheless, an encouraging result, and great to see another podium! it would have been so much easier for him if he didn't get stuck behind Trulli and Kubica during the race, costing him a couple of seconds each time.

peerless drive by Button today. its lucky we don't have the medal system or the championship would be even more over than it already is effectively.

disappointing for vettel, but i think button would have won easily anyway, as the soft tyre didn't deteriorate much.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 07, 2009 06:19PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
boring!!

although not if your a button fan.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 07, 2009 06:26PM
Slash Wrote:
> Vettel cracks under pressure

The bloke led from start to finish in an STR without a single mistake last season. If ever he was going to crack under pressure, it would have been there. Likewise at China this year - Webber tried to put massive pressure on him, and he just absorbed it, and in the end it was Webber who pushed himself too far.

The strategy isn't up to scratch at Red Bull (in a way not dissimilar to Williams) but even that's not really what is costing them. They're just not as fast as the Brawns. They're still 3 tenths per lap off when it counts. Because the bloke has made a couple of mistakes trying to make up that gap, I don't think it's fair to say he cracks under pressure.

There were 5 or 6 cars who made bigger mistakes in lap 1. It was a fairly manic first few laps.
Date: June 07, 2009 07:07PM
Posted by: LS.
Rubens hinting that everything always goes wrong on his car smacked of conspiracy theory again, once again he banged into someone whilst trying to overtake. Sooner Rubens realises he's yesterdays man and accepts he's lucky to have this seat at Brawn the better.

Please dont use a conspiracy smoke screen to cover your innefficiencies, when he was outpaced by Button he claimed the team did it to favour Jenson, when clearly he didnt have the pace to beat JB, and now today he's eluding that Jenson never has any failures yet he does.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: June 07, 2009 07:49PM
[news.bbc.co.uk]

Well thats one way of getting a little bit extra cash.

Date: June 07, 2009 07:51PM
Posted by: Slash
gav Wrote:
> Slash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Vettel cracks under pressure
>
> The bloke led from start to finish in an STR
> without a single mistake last season. If ever he
> was going to crack under pressure, it would have
> been there. Likewise at China this year - Webber
> tried to put massive pressure on him, and he just
> absorbed it, and in the end it was Webber who
> pushed himself too far.
>
> The strategy isn't up to scratch at Red Bull (in a
> way not dissimilar to Williams) but even that's
> not really what is costing them. They're just not
> as fast as the Brawns. They're still 3 tenths per
> lap off when it counts. Because the bloke has made
> a couple of mistakes trying to make up that gap, I
> don't think it's fair to say he cracks under
> pressure.
>
> There were 5 or 6 cars who made bigger mistakes in
> lap 1. It was a fairly manic first few laps.

Vettel was never under pressure for the position at either gp he won, but at Monaco Felipe put some pressure on him and the guy destroyed his tyres and started going sideways and all, there was no pressure on him last year when he won the race, he was the underdog and he was probably confident of driving in the rain, as he probably performs better than many drivers (carefull, i'm not saying he's a bad driver!) but now people, the team and probably him, are expecting better results as they have one of the top cars on the field
i hope i'm wrong, as the guy is very talented and will probably be in the front for a couple of years

and yeah Rubens is ungratefull, when he won at Ferrari, that was the best team but when he didn't it was the worst thing it happened in his life.
not surprised by his comments, really

ps: watch Jenson at Silverstone, hes a master at that track

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2009 07:52PM by Slash.
Date: June 07, 2009 08:08PM
Slash Wrote:
> Vettel was never under pressure for the position
> at either gp he won, but at Monaco Felipe put some
> pressure on him and the guy destroyed his tyres
> and started going sideways and all

In a tiny team, starting on pole in a car that should be ~10th on the grid? I'd call that pressure. I'd be loving myself, yeah, shitting myself at the same time.

At Monaco it wasn't just Vettel who killed his tyres - Webber's went at the same time. The team just didn't have the data on the new parts, so the tyres fell apart quicker than on most of the other cars.

I'm not going to pretend the jury isn't still out on how well he'll cope in a prolonged pressure cooker that is a close world championship battle (he isn't really in one now, he's more in Alonso 2008 mode of trying to keep alive a dream that won't really work), but I don't think he could have done anything more in his career so far to show he can soak up pressure and win races that he shouldn't have done.
Date: June 07, 2009 08:25PM
Posted by: Muks_C
i bet the drivers' name for the cushion/pillow is tampon or something ike that.

and from Rubens' comments about "problems on my side", when i first heard them, i thought he meant he was blaming himself, like when he said "the calculations for the clutch were wrong, from my side", that's how i took it.

only later when EJ or DC commented about it being his side of the garage did it occur to me he meant his whole car/his side of the garage he was complaining about.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: June 07, 2009 09:03PM
My guess was pussy pad or somethign lol.

Gav about Monza, in qualifying that car, well 3 in fact were in the top 6 in Qualifying. Should have been 10th? I dont think so. Well into the top 8. And we all know how good Vettel is in the wet... I think he had the most pressure in Qualifying that day though, He was the lightest and it was wet, one slipup and thats it, he had to get pole, no question about it and he did.

The pressure was still there though in the race, and thats where he delivered, and thats what is most important. However I believe the race could have gone a different way had Bourdais not had the start problems. He appeared to have good pace and imo had everything gone smooth probably would have made it a 1-2, and certainly would have added more pressure to Vettel than Heikki.

To compare Buttons verses Vettels first wins. Almost complete opposites. Button was the one applying the pressure to Renault and Fernando, but with Vettel it was the rest who had to apply the pressure and tbh, with the other seb out the picture, Lewis down in Qualifying there was no-one else imo with a good enough car/driving well enough to do that. In that respect Vettel was quite lucky not to have Lewis or Bourdais, but surley the pressure of 60odd laps of Monza (your teams home race) is pressure enough ;-) oh, then add a couple drops of rain!!!

Date: June 07, 2009 09:04PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I don't know about the race itself, but one of the most entertaining parts of the weekend for me was seeing Jake Humphries being dragged back by the camera crew in the pitlane to stop him getting run over ;)

Did anybody else notice Alonso's slide in turn 8 on the first lap? No wonder Piquet is struggling to keep it on the road, if even Alonso has the odd moment. Piquet impressed me btw, provided one of the few exciting moments of the race, with a genuine overtake on Hamilton.

I get the impression that all of the Brazillian drivers on the grid are more sensetive than most. They all seem to have their performance affected quite badly during times when they're not going well. Barrichello is reminding me of the pre-Ferrari Massa at the minute - potentially quick, but very ragged.

Personally, I didn't find the race too bad, but then I have always been a Button fan ever since he was my first hero when I started watching. It's great to see someone who's not cocky doing so well. And I've always enjoyed watching races like Turkey, where camera angles and nice scenery with changes in height makes it very pleasing to look at. But then I know not many people are like that :P

One last thing - CBBC comentary is always good for a stupid laugh... they had another 'conversation' with one of their crew supposedly recorded earlier, similar to the Saftey Car one in Australia. This time they were arguing over whether he was at the track or not, but he ended up being in Torquay rather than Turkey!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: June 07, 2009 09:14PM
flat tyre Wrote:
> Piquet impressed me btw, provided one of
> the few exciting moments of the race, with a
> genuine overtake on Hamilton.

He impressed me by not crashing when presented with the opportunity, but he still only finished ahead of Bourdais and (a very impressive early on) Sutil, which is a dismal result no matter how you look at it.
Date: June 07, 2009 10:45PM
Posted by: tripleM
He seemed to have a dismal second stop for some reason or another

Date: June 07, 2009 10:48PM
Posted by: Frantic
Rubens made a horrible start because the gearbox was not running well... and in different moments when TV showed the on-board camera in the Brawn I heard the gears "jumping" (ex. you´re in 3rd gear and then you want to switch to 4th and the car switchs to 5th instead... sorry I dont have good english!) and how Rubens had to gear down an up again, and lost time... Anyway, he was under pressure and made a lot of mistakes

Date: June 08, 2009 01:34AM
Posted by: EC83
Brilliant win from Jenson. Martin Brundle's comments about him were spot on - he's just in a different zone at the moment. The 2009 World Champ now, surely? Certainly as long as he doesn't have to miss some races soon for some reason, I can't see anyone pulling that 26-point lead back, considering the advantage Brawn still hold.

Difficult time for Rubens. It was a shame to see him retire. His terrible start might have been his fault, I'm not sure, but the lack of 7th gear certainly wasn't. He did screw up by hitting Kovy and Sutil, but hey, at least he tried to pass them instead of just following them. His target for this season now has to be to try and win some races.

Pivotal mistake from Vettel on lap 1, maybe cost him 2nd place in the end. Damn carpets! ;)

Good race from Trulli, impressed me with his pace. Rosberg did a great job too.

Ferrari's pace was just plain disappointing, especially Kimi's.

gav Wrote:
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Piquet, good racing with Lewis...
>
> That's 2 of the past 3 races he's been within
> inches of a retirement and saved it. I'm
> impressed!
>
> Though I'd have killed to have been a fly on the
> wall in the Bruno household when Piquet locked up
> and just waved Rubens through. :P

Indeed, that was a real LOL moment. I would've loved to see Bruno attempt to defend that one on Piquet's behalf too. :P

Piquet did put a good move on Lewis though. He likes that final complex I think, he put that good move on Jenson there last year as well.

Date: June 08, 2009 01:53AM
Posted by: NickKK
Most boring race since some of the 2004 jobbies imo. Not too impressive in the Roland Garros final either..

I was watching the mountain bike downhill world cup with a lot more interest!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy