williams suspended from FOTA
Date: May 27, 2009 02:20PM
Posted by: marwood82
[www.autosport.com]

its really starting to get petty now.
Re: williams suspended from FOTA
Date: May 27, 2009 03:30PM
Posted by: jbnd05
Williams had to do what they did, F1 is their primary business and they can't afford to just buy someone who does enter. FOTA are being ridiculous about this, but it only took one team last time...

Date: May 27, 2009 03:34PM
Posted by: gav
For protecting the interests of fans, employees and sponsors, they've been kicked out for having the audacity to commit to something.

If FOTA was definitely to become a new series then I could understand it, but it's not, and probably won't be. Everything is pointing towards an agreement with the FIA being very close... so I'm rather at a loss here... if that agreement is almost inevitable, what have Williams done that makes them worthy of being kicked out of FOTA?
Date: May 27, 2009 03:37PM
Posted by: sasjag
lol, butthurt much?

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: May 27, 2009 03:55PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Williams did the right thing, the FIA will back down on some points and renegotiate something that is more of a compromise. I have little doubt we'll get at least another 6 teams by Friday
Date: May 27, 2009 03:59PM
Posted by: marcl
Well Mclaren are expected to sign as well so will they be kicked out.

Its stupid, but Max has got what he wants FOTA are sort of falling apart.
Date: May 27, 2009 04:17PM
Posted by: IWE
So? Looking good atm. Ferrari will have to eat their words at the end (even I hope they would keep their promise and quit). lol :)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: May 27, 2009 04:54PM
I know he comes in for some stick but on this occasion I have to take my hat off and applaud Max on the way he's played this one

He asked the teams last year to come up with a significant cost cutting plan. they didn't

Honda's exit gave him the excuse to force a set of proposals that he knew FOTA would hate and prospective F1 teams would love. thus giving FOTA no option but to come to the table to negotiate.

then when the toys started coming out of the pram he went toe to toe with de montezemolo and made him look like a spoilt child. He's been one step ahead of FOTA the entire way. And slowly but surely won more and more people over to his side as he's gone along.

within in the next few weeks sanity will break out and a compromised deal will be agreed and he will have gotten exactly what he wanted.

- F1's future safeguarded by a large reduction in costs(I don't think he cares HOW it happens as long as it DOES)

- all existing teams signed up

- and 3 new independents to reduce the reliance on the car makers.

well done Max.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2009 04:55PM by marwood82.
Date: May 27, 2009 05:42PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
yes, that's a good point marwood, if the compromise now happens, and that seems quite likely, i think it will end up being good for the future of the sport.

the idea that customer cars could be used next year for new teams until the full budget cap comes in also seems like a good one, as this work out well for both new and old teams.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 27, 2009 08:19PM
Posted by: NickKK
Yep these events are destabilising FOTA, they will eventually either wither away to a few grumpy teams or realise they actually have to start some cost cutting.
The likes of Toyota need to learn a few lessons from the likes of Minardi back in the day, you CAN make a little go a long way.

Date: May 28, 2009 06:55AM
The teams did come up with measures to cut cost but Max just dismissed everything without looking, marwood. Both sides need to give in, and Williams was suspended because being part of FOTA they had made an agreement on the case with the other teams but since their only business is F1 and they have a duty to their sponsors and a contract that says they must enter every championship until 2012, they had to break the agreement and knew it would happen.
Date: May 28, 2009 11:07AM
Posted by: chet
Would be interesting to see how that final call was made...

I supprised now Brawn has also not signed a deal... I thought Williams and Brawn would hold strong together...

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 28, 2009 12:07PM
Posted by: marcl
Brawn are expected to sign as are Force India.

Toyota should just admit they are leaving at the end of the year and be done with it. Why are they even bothering to go through all this, even if they did stay they would want to spend less. That team has wasted money from day 1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2009 12:47PM by marcl.
Date: May 28, 2009 12:49PM
i think max read their proposal, he just didn't think much of it.

He seems to believe (rightly or wrongly) that left to their own devices FOTA won't come up with anything significant.

anyway, back to the sign or not to sign debate, i think mercedes could hold the key to this.

if they and mclaren decide to sign (the synics amongst us may suggest a deal being struck via the liegate affair) then i'd imagine they'd bring force india with them.

with at a guess, possibly Brawn to follow?

so that would put the number of teams signed up at 4 of the current ones + USF1 and Campos.

at that point the 'rebels' position starts to look a bit more isolated.

lol @ boycott threats, rebels etc, anyone else wondering at what point did we time travel back to 1982 ? :-)
Date: May 28, 2009 02:17PM
lol,

this could throw a further spanner in the works!

[en.f1-live.com]
Date: May 28, 2009 04:08PM
That would ensure the survival of United Colors of Briatore (Benetton ;)) if Renault isn't interested in staying any more, a good move for F1.

Marwood, Max dismissed anything given to him because he's power hungry and behaves like a spoiled kid who does what he wants at his terms. The thing is we also have very similar kinds of people on the FOTA side, no side is truly an absolute better side than the other.
Date: May 28, 2009 05:26PM
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Marwood, Max dismissed anything given to him
> because he's power hungry and behaves like a
> spoiled kid who does what he wants at his terms.
> The thing is we also have very similar kinds of
> people on the FOTA side, no side is truly an
> absolute better side than the other.

don't get me wrong, I 100% agree with you that there are egotistical maniacs on both sides of this.

I just think on this occasion Max's approach (whatever his motivation) is justified by what will come out of it.

a large drop in costs is needed if F1 isn't going to go the way of other series when a couple of the car makers decide they've got more pressing things to spend money on.

and I couldn't see FOTA coming up with a proposal that went far enough unless someone sat them down and beat it out of them. (And we all know max enjoys a good beating :-) )

anyway, surprise surprise, it looks like the deal that was apparently so impossible 5 days ago is now imminent

[www.autosport.com]
Date: May 28, 2009 05:54PM
Posted by: gav
Guimengo Wrote:
> Marwood, Max dismissed anything given to him
> because he's power hungry and behaves like a
> spoiled kid who does what he wants at his terms.
> The thing is we also have very similar kinds of
> people on the FOTA side, no side is truly an
> absolute better side than the other.

Max doesn't get much out of it. He could have left last year and not bothered with any of this. He's doing it for the good of the sport and the good of the teams themselves. It's more the way it's being done that the teams are unhappy with, or that not having their unlimited budgets is going to make it easier for more efficient teams to beat them.

There's no spoilt kid involved, just a single-minded determination to see it through.
Date: May 28, 2009 06:42PM
Apparently they may settle for 88 million pounds
Date: May 28, 2009 11:41PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
gav Wrote:
> Max doesn't get much out of it. He could have left
> last year and not bothered with any of this. He's
> doing it for the good of the sport and the good of
> the teams themselves.

tbh you dont know what his agenda is. perhaps he wants to go out with a bang especially after last year who knows.

had honda had the balls to stay abit longer, they would be leading the titles by a mile as brawn is, and maybe all this discussion would not be as heated as it is.

max keeps going on about costs yet he drills through new rules every year which is hugely costly, i.e. kers, etc. Thats one of the things FOTA are saying, keep the regs the same for next year so we can stabilise.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy