The Official Spanish Grand Prix 2009 Thread (*spoilers*)

Posted by The Lopper 
Not really much to comment on about the race, just:

I think now we can really say Brawn have what it takes for the title, in my head it seems like they have weathered the storm of upgrades from the traditional 'big 3' and still have the fastest car, Red Bull seem to be their only worry.

KERS is a complete pain in the arse, and kills the racing more than anything, we have been denied proper fights to the finish for 2 races running now due to a KERS car running out of position, whish brings me onto...

...Webber and Alonso. Great racing yes, but BBC seemed to miss how important it was that Webber got back past, without that he wouldnt have got on the podium, due again to another KERS car out of position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2009 10:19PM by SexySam182.
You do mean BBC right? Or are you living in an alternate reality?
Lol! Yeah, the Beeb rectified that when they went to town on that move after the race when DC pretty much owned up to wanting to physically enter Webber after seeing it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2009 09:09PM by The Lopper.
Slash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jenson was superb, i don't know whether they
> changed his strategy or not, but Rubens is not
> No.1 and Brawn is not the kind of team that can
> afford giving away points just to please Rubens
> with a win
>

Ross Brawn said they switched Button onto a two stopper because he would have come out behind traffic if he stayed on the three stop strategy. He said they still thought three stops would be the fastest, but switching Button to the two stop gave him a clear track to run on.
Monza972 Wrote:
> You do mean BBC right? Or are you living in an
> alternate reality?

Yeah good point.

The Lopper Wrote:
> Lol! Yeah, the Beeb rectified that when they went
> to town on that move after the race when DC pretty
> much owned up to wanting to physically enter
> Webber after seeing it.

Lol! I thought DC was just highlighting that it was a great move though, rather than the fact it got Webber on the podium, I may be wrong however.

Rubens looked none too happy in the post race interview. Really downcast, can't help but wonder if he's seeing a flashback to being #2 to Schumi for all those years...

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Legard has to go, his commentary is poor! that webber repass on alonso was stunning!! yet he casually says "hes got back past him" or something like that, no excitement at all! poor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2009 11:35PM by Craigo.
Great race for Webber! Snatched two positions at the end of the race!

Epic fail for Ferrari, and Rubens managed to let his fans down once more. It seems Ross Brawn (or whoever did his strategy) did remember the Ferrari days.

Um dois três quatro cinco seis sete oito nove dez
Eins zwei drei vier fünf sechs sieben acht neun zehn
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten
Один два три четыре пять шесть семь восемь девять десять
I don't think Rubens let anyone down today. He should have been switched to a two stop also - he had the cushion to do it.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
I was disappointed that Rubens didn't win, but as he said in the press conference he felt there was a problem with his car in the last 2 stints

Unlucky for him really, see this season going to Button more and more form now on

Really wanted to see Rubinho win today, think his confidence could be damaged by this :(

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Red Sam schrieb:
> I don't think Rubens let anyone down today.

But he did. Many people were expecting him to win, specially after the first stop when he was increasing his lead on Button almost one second per lap, yet he didn't. And he lost it in a similar way that he used to lose to Schumacher, so one can't help but wonder.

Anyway... I don't mean to start a Barrichello-fanboyism flamewar. ;)

Ferrari2007 schrieb:
> I was disappointed that Rubens didn't win, but as
> he said in the press conference he felt there was
> a problem with his car in the last 2 stints
>
> Unlucky for him really, see this season going to
> Button more and more form now on
>
> Really wanted to see Rubinho win today, think his
> confidence could be damaged by this :(

+1

Um dois três quatro cinco seis sete oito nove dez
Eins zwei drei vier fünf sechs sieben acht neun zehn
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten
Один два три четыре пять шесть семь восемь девять десять
Legard are Eddie need to go more like as does this track.
Rubens Barrichello has threatened to quit Formula 1 if he finds out his Brawn team are favouring Jenson Button.

The Brazilian lost Sunday's Spanish Grand Prix to his team-mate after boss Ross Brawn changed Button's strategy.

"If I get the slightest sniff of the fact that they have favoured Jenson, I will hang up my helmet tomorrow," he told United States channel SpeedTV.

"But I know Ross wouldn't do that. He asked me to drive for him and he knows I want to race fairly with Jenson."

Source and more: BBC Sport | Barrichello may quit over Button
Im sorry but this has been blow out of proportion.

It was obvious why Jenson was put on a two stopper. And it was clear Rubens was not as quick as he had to be on the lower fuel. What killed it was that JB was pretty quick on the 30lap lap stint, quicker than Rubens at times who had less fuel.

To me, had Button stayed on a 3stopper, he would have been stuck behind Rosberg for 7 laps, caught up by Massa and Vettel, then lost out to them, but also Webber. Chances are, because of Rosberg alone it would have been a Brawn 1-3 or 1-4.

What I dont understand is howcome they were originally on a 3 stopper? It suggests to me they thought they'd be quicker.

Hell, even I knew Rosberg would be the one to watch out for this race looking at how much fuel he had, I knew he would come into play somehow. My guess is they thought JB and RB would be further ahead. And that is kinda backed up by Jensons team radio. Had he not lost the place at the start he probably would have built a little gap to Rubens... imo, both drivers messed it up themsevles. Button killed the 3stopper when he lost 1st to Rubens, and Rubens messed it up on his 3rd set of tyres. His times were pretty all over the place compared to JB's.

The evidence, the lap times is all there to prove what happened.

A 3-stopper may have been quicker but we wont know, RB's times were not what they needed to be and at times inconsistant.

Now, the question then becomes, did Ross set that up? Did he change the tyre pressures?

Im sorry, but to even think that is silly. For whatever reason JB was the better driver yesterday.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Whether or not there's truth behind the malicious suggestions, it's got to be in Rubens' head now, as I expected, and that bodes badly for him.

And you have to understand why those suggestions are there. Rubens went completely off the boil on one set of tyres, which nobody seemed to understand.

Then again, Button showed this weekend that he can pull the performance out of the bag. Despite his complaining of car handling problems, he was quickest on Friday, quickest in quali and put the laptimes in when he needed to win the race. But I feel he didn't expect to win, and his comment to Barrichello after the race (it sounded like "Are you OK that I won?";) is odd.

I'm hoping that this is all blown out of proportion, but I would understand if it were true.
I don't see there being anything underhand here at all.

From what Ross, Rubens and Jenson were saying, the data that they had all pointed to a 3 stop being the quickest way to go due to the poor performance of the harder tyres.

Jenson was only switched to a 2 stopper because he would have ended up stuck behind rosberg who was running long. There was no reason to risk changing rubens to a slower stratagy as he was out in front.

Rubens didn't pull out enough of a gap before his pitstop and then compounded the problem by not being able to keep the pace after his 2nd stop. (i guess he must have had some issues as even Ross seemed suprised at how slow he was).

Also Jenson didn't appear to loose as much time on the hard tyres as a lot of the others.
I think Rubens is forgetting he is lucky to even be in F1 this year, had Honda stayed in the sport it probably would not have been him in the car.
He has been disappointing this season.

I don't know about Rubens being disappointing. More not as impressive as Button, who's been imperious - something he's never displayed in F1 before. I suppose it's a lot easier in the top car, and this is the first race he's been under any real pressure (though not the same sort of pressure as if it had been another team).

Rubens seems to suit the updates a bit more, and he was faster overall this weekend. His race just fell apart on the 3rd and 4th sets of tyres.

Other than Ferrari, it's still probably one of the closest teams, driver wise, on the grid. Only Force India, Toyota and Ferrari are comparable in my opinion. It's not like Rubens is getting destroyed - he's just not quite there yet. I think everyone hopes he gets the measure of Button at some point.

After all the crap he had to put up with at Ferrari, he deserves a title more than anyone else in the field.
After all the crap he had to put up with at Ferrari, he deserves a title more than anyone else in the field.

Not too sure on that one.

He did have a championship winning car for quite a few seasons. The reason he did not win is simple, Shumacher. Ferrari gave him equal status to a point. Once that point had been reached it was clear that MS had priorty, and perhaps that point came too early in the season.

Though he won many races at Ferrari, I never felt he was able to mount a real challange. Not because he was restricted by Ferrari, but simply by Shumacher. But not once did I feel he was a challenge over the course of the season, not once did he deserve to win a championship in any of his seasons at Ferrari.

He had some awesome races, but it was never a sustained challenge. Again I point to Michael. But only the psychological effect of being team-mate to Shumacher.

This year appears to be his best chance at a title. And there is no reason why cant do it. Since joining Honda he has shown a new found faith in his team, and he knows and we know he is a match for Jenson any day.

However for me I always felt Rubens sometimes just gave in at Ferrari knowing beating Micheal would be difficult. He had 5 seasons in a championship winning car and yet his raw speed only came out here and there. At Honda and now Brawn I think that is different, I think he is more consistant nad more able to put up a fight.

But I dont think he deserves the title more than let's say Jenson who has rarely been in a race-winning capable. To me Rubens let himself get beat mentally by Michael and then on track.

I will say, had Jenson been in the same posistion I think the same could have happened. I believe mentally Shumacher as an opponent would have been destroying. But yeah to me, both Button and Rubens are equally deserving of a title. I probably would tend to sway one way and you know which way that would be ;)!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy