The Official Spanish Grand Prix 2009 Thread (*spoilers*)

Posted by The Lopper 
Wow, stonking session!

I thought Rubens was going to get it but it was Button again :D. Vettel had a fantastic lap but just went a touch wide lost time there. Otherwise I see Felipe as the dangerman for tomorrow. First of the KERS cars and a boost of the start line.
I think Ferrari need to clearly define what Schumacher is doing there every race. Its distracting otherwise

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
I suspect once more that the race will be decided by a KERS car clearing all but the first car. I should wait to see the fuel loads, but I suspect Button will have quite an easy win tomorrow now, unless Massa gets an absolute stormer of a start and passes him too.

I love variation in rules, and it certainly makes for an exciting first lap, but I'm starting to dislike KERS in terms of it spoiling the race of others and I fear depriving us of a battle for the win tomorrow.
Agreed, we have only really seen one race where the leader and following guy have battled, and that was Aus.

Then again, Button had it in control, and since RedBull have deffo closed up in terms of one lap, and overal pace and looking at the times will give Brawn a very very difficult time.

But like you said, Massa could change that.

Though I agree with that, on my side it is very nice knowing there is a relativley good chance Massa could pass Vettel. Though I would like to see a hard fought tooth and nail fight between Vettel, Button, Barachello and Webber I would be just as happy seeing Massa hold up the field and letting JB go. Then again, on Friday Kimi's race pace was fantastic lol and it will certainly not be a repeat of Vettel and Lewis like in Bahrain.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
"Agreed, we have only really seen one race where the leader and following guy have battled, and that was Aus."

when was the last time we had 1st and 2nd battle it all out to the flag? Usually they just finish in procession :-/

All 3 of the key drivers behind Button (Vettel, Rubens and Massa) have more fuel than him. Only Alonso has less fuel.
Number Car Driver Weight [kg]
01 McLaren Mercedes Lewis Hamilton 683.0*
02 McLaren Mercedes Heikki Kovalainen 657.0*
03 Ferrari Felipe Massa 655.0
04 Ferrari Kimi Räikkönen 673.0*
05 BMW Sauber Robert Kubica 660.0
06 BMW Sauber Nick Heidfeld 676.3*
07 Renault Fernando Alonso 645.0
08 Renault Nelson Piquet 677.4*
09 Toyota Jarno Trulli 655.5
10 Toyota Timo Glock 646.5
11 STR Ferrari Sébastien Bourdais 669.0*
12 STR Ferrari Sébastien Buemi 678.0*
14 RBR Renault Mark Webber 651.5
15 RBR Renault Sebastian Vettel 651.5
16 Williams Toyota Nico Rosberg 668.0
17 Williams Toyota Kazuki Nakajima 676.6*
20 Force India Mercedes Adrian Sutil 675.0*
21 Force India Mercedes Giancarlo Fisichella 656.0*
22 Brawn Mercedes Jenson Button 646.0
23 Brawn Mercedes Rubens Barrichello 649.5

Edit: Excellent work Felipe has done!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2009 06:36PM by Rodrigo007.
Vettel and Webber on same load? Interesting, so one is gonna ahve to probably pit 1-lap earlier than desired.

I know it sounds obvious but the start is key.

Button NEEDS to remain P1 by end of the first lap and keep that posistion. If Vettel keeps second, and remains within 5seconds by Buttons first stop (very likley) then it's gonna be close. In fact if Vettel falls further than 2-3seconds ill be very suprised.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
thanks for posting that, i was just searching for it now!

yes, felipe did a great job, with KERS he could be up even further after a few corners.

X (@ed24f1)
Jenson isn't as lighter compared to Rubens as I thought he'd be. And then when you compare the Brawns and the Red Bulls there's not a whole lot in it. Massa's the man who's sitting pretty. Heavier than the cars in front of him, but with that push to pass button on a long straight into the first corner, he's got to fancy his chances.

Suddenly very clear why Glock was faster than Trulli in all sessions. Toyota in general actually, pretty disappointing, although Trulli's got a nice bit of fuel..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2009 07:01PM by The Lopper.
By starting order:

Pos Driver Team Weight (kg)
1. Jenson Button Brawn Mercedes 646.0
2. Sebastian Vettel RBR Renault 651.5
3. Rubens Barrichello Brawn Mercedes 649.5
4. Felipe Massa Ferrari 655.0
5. Mark Webber RBR Renault 651.5
6. Timo Glock Toyota 646.5
7. Jarno Trulli Toyota 655.5
8. Fernando Alonso Renault 645.0
9. Nico Rosberg Williams Toyota 668.0
10. Robert Kubica BMW Sauber 660.0
11. Kazuki Nakajima Williams Toyota 676.6*
12. Nelson Piquet Renault 677.4*
13. Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 676.3*
14. Lewis Hamilton McLaren Mercedes 683.0*
15. Sébastien Buemi STR Ferrari 678.0*
16. Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 673.0*
17. Sébastien Bourdais STR Ferrari 669.0*
18. Heikki Kovalainen McLaren Mercedes 657.0*
19. Adrian Sutil Force India Mercedes 675.0*
20. Giancarlo Fisichella Force India Mercedes 656.0*
Go Rubens

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
I'm concerned about a slow Massa(as he's bound to be once the race settles down) getting ahead of Rubens at the start and basically screwing his chances of winning.
As long as Jenson gets his start right, he should scamper away during the first stint, and as long as he pushes hard all the way, that lead of 5+ seconds by the first stops should be doable.
Sebastien V is really looking strong, and he could easily be a title contender this year with the kind of pace he and the RedBull have. How costly could his Melbourne incident with Kubica end up being?

Red Sam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Ferrari need to clearly define what
> Schumacher is doing there every race. Its
> distracting otherwise

Today he looked like he was doing nothing at all except wandering about aimlessly in the pit/garage. He certainly seems not to have done much to help the team since he stopped driving. I'd say he's on the pit wall for morale and not much else.

>
> Red Sam Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think Ferrari need to clearly define what
> > Schumacher is doing there every race. Its
> > distracting otherwise
>
> Today he looked like he was doing nothing at all
> except wandering about aimlessly in the
> pit/garage. He certainly seems not to have done
> much to help the team since he stopped driving.
> I'd say he's on the pit wall for morale and not
> much else.

umm how do you know? do you work for Ferrari?

gin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------------
> umm how do you know? do you work for Ferrari?

Love it when people ask questions like that :P
Nope, I think Schumacher hasn't particularly set the world on fire at Ferrari since he retired from driving. It is possible to deduce these things just by observing.

The fuel loads really say something about Lewis and Heikki!

jbnd05 Wrote:
> The fuel loads really say something about Lewis
> and Heikki!

yes but if they start 11th or behind they are allowed to put any fuel load in the car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2009 11:31PM by Naboo.
jbnd05 Wrote:
> The fuel loads really say something about Lewis
> and Heikki!

I'm guessing Heikki's fuelled light so he can get some overtaking done early in the race, Lewis fuelled heavier since he'll get the overtaking done anyway.

y2cwr2005 Wrote:
> jbnd05 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The fuel loads really say something about Lewis
> > and Heikki!
>
>
> I'm guessing Heikki's fuelled light so he can get
> some overtaking done early in the race, Lewis
> fuelled heavier since he'll get the overtaking
> done anyway.

Probably not, given that on even fuel he was slower...
Predicted times with corrected fuel:

1. Sebastian Vettel 1:20.446
2. Jenson Button 1:20.527
3. Felipe Massa 1:20.583
4. Rubens Barrichello 1:20.627
5. Mark Webber 1.20.835
6. Jarno Trulli 1:20.884
7. Timo Glock 1:21.228
8. Fernando Alonso 1:21.431
9. Nico Rosberg 1:21.700
10. Robert Kubica 1.22.139
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy