The Official Spanish Grand Prix 2009 Thread (*spoilers*)

Posted by The Lopper 

All times GMT
8th May
09:00-10:30 1st Free Practice
13:00-14:30 2nd Free Practice

9th May
10:00-11:00 3rd Free Practice
13:00-14:00 Qualifying

10th May
13:00 Race

Ok, so everybody's bringing all sorts of upgrades to Barca. Are we going to see teams like BMW and Ferrari make a comeback after disappointing flyaway races, or is the established order of Brawn, Red Bull and Toyota going to remain on top? Barcelona normally presents a boring Grand Prix, but to me the excitement this year is going to be in the build-up, as we try to determine where all these upgrades are going to leave the teams! Brawn are playing down their chances once more, expecting a big fight, while teams like BMW and Renault are confident of better performance with their upgrades.

My early prediction: Jarno Trulli to win ;)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2009 12:15AM by mortal.
Difficult to predict, we will have a rough idea Friday I guess...

All around forums the opinions are quite varying, some poeple saying Brawn whitewash, others saying RedBull/Toyota dominance... but me, hmm well I hope for a Brawn whitewash but imo its gonna be too close to call until we see the chequred flag Sunday afternoon.

Brawn went well in testing here as we all know, but so too did Ferrari (Really no idea where they're pace has gone!!!).

RedBull did not bring the Melbourne updates to any Barcelona test so they will be a big unknown, as will Toyota.

I personally think the order will remain, Brawn/RedBull, Toyota, then Ferrari, then after that not got a clue!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Methinks Ferrari will be up to speed as well, but probably not quite able to challenge the top 2/3. Suppose one has to look at McLaren also, they made great strides over the flyaways to get back into contention so they could well be mixing for podiums.

Personally I'm hoping for a Toyota win, I'd prefer Glock to do it, but I don't think he's quite got the edge on Trulli yet, failing that a Brawn/Button triumph or a surprise come-back for the Kimster would leave a smile on my face.

BMW are hoping to be back in the fray, but as long as they continue their race-weekend routine of concentrating on the race and then filling up the car to see what happens, I can't see it happening. If they change this tactic, however, they could surprise people.
Mclaren are slightly ahead in terms of development anyway. Rather than a rather large update for Barca, they have been introducing the bits over the 4 previous races...They do have bits for Barcelona but I always thought not to the extent of Ferrari/BMW.

Because of the new rules time is going to be alot easier to find(and lose!) than in previous years. The figure I keep hearing about the Ferraris is somewhere between 0.5 - 0.8 / lap, which would them right in it or just behind the top, but in posistion where the drivers could make a difference.

i doubt Maclaren are going forwards as much as people make out, its Ferraris and BMW going backwards that creates this illusion of Maclaren sudden recovery.

I don't think Ferrari will be .5s faster due to upgrades, it's just a well known track. I hope Rubens finally wins because if Jenson scores one more win then Rubens is done, Jenson will be put as #1 driver.
yes, i want Rubens to win one as well. I think it needs to be sooner rather than later, because the other teams will pass Brawn by the middle of the year i think.

X (@ed24f1)
I wonder why everyone is saying that Brawn won't be able to keep up with the development. If it's because of money I'm pretty sure they should have the necessary money for it. I do expect other teams to catch up, but to say they will pass Brawn so fast is a bit too much. Catching up is easier I think because there's more to do with the car. In their case, since the car is already good, finding that extra more is harder.

That said, the only team that right now can pass Brawn is RedBull. After all, their car is already really good, and fitting the diffuser should easily put them on the top.

As for the race itself, I hope Rubens wins. But if the other 3 guys wins I'll be ok with it (Vettel, Button, Webber). A surprise Kimi win would be welcome though ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 08:53PM by Joe_Satriani.
Brown?

M3 photosh0pping skillz0rz are teh l33t!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 06:33PM by The Lopper.
I think this weekend the two Brawn drivers should have their normal colours on their helmets.

Supersition, but, if Button does not do so well at Spain for some reason reckon he'll switch to the lucky flouresent again?? Its been well for him so far!

edit - i know its silly comment but it wouldnt supprise me lol!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 06:52PM by chet.
Here is the so called B car

What amazes he is he says they have intergrated updates for Turkey and Silverstone into this car and they say it will still not be enough...

This will be a close watched car on Friday! They really are the dark horse atm, no-one really knows what to expect from them in Barcelona. One thing is for sure, they want to do everything in their power to get a hold of this championship!

Lopper, it looks like the Brawn GP was caught in a spray of poop there ;).

Ebi, that article sounds just like media hype trying to put hope back on to the Ferrari fans and make the team sound like it's the best one out there. Blatant propaganda :P.

About teams passing Brawn GP, I think it will be just like Renault x McLaren in 2005, with BGP being Renault here and Red Bull being McLaren.
I think it works as a colour scheme Gui, gives a sort of rustic-toilet look to the Brawn ;)
It looks like Fat Bastard wiped his butt with it ;)
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It looks like Fat Bastard wiped his butt with it
> ;)

I ate a baby! ;)
Not sure where else to post but ...

[img24.imageshack.us]

this lovley picture was posted at F1onboard.

Check the flow on the engine cover.

The great thing about light cars, wet weather and dirt. pictures from wet le mans races are also quite revealing like this but alot more so! :p

I think Brawn will be quickest here - not by a lot, maybe only a tenth or two. The fact they've been playing down their chances suggests to me that they have something in reserve. Also this was the track where they were quickest by over half a second in the final pre season test - it'll be surprising if they've lost all of that advantage already.

And I hope Rubens can win this one too - it'd be awesome to see.

Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It looks like Fat Bastard wiped his butt with it
> ;)

Mojo, baby! ;)

I would like Button to win again. He needs all the wins he can get before the other teams start taking more wins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy