Monaco lap times! Monaco GP *Spoilers!*

Posted by chet 
Monaco lap times! Monaco GP *Spoilers!*
Date: April 17, 2009 08:54PM
Posted by: chet
Weve seen this years cars are a match for last years even with less downforce, but with extra help thanks to slicks.

I just wonder how quick we are going to be at Monaco where we will see the difference of slicks!

i think the lap record is Kimis sensational quali lap in Q1 from 2005. A 1.13.6 i think. Reckon we can beat it? I do!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2009 06:36AM by mortal.
Re: Monaco lap times!
Date: April 17, 2009 09:04PM
Posted by: gav
Hell yeah.

Plus I'm off to put a not-insignificant amount of cash on both RBR drivers for one of them to win it. I reckon I'll get better odds now than closer to the event. ;)
Date: April 17, 2009 09:25PM
I put money on Vettel for WDC abit before season and was tempted for Monaco.

But seeing the Brawn in slower corners, I reckon they're gonna walk it. Both of them maybe a lights to flag, but seeing as though aero-efficiency is not so much a factor we could see Lewis up there too. Trulli must be thinking about a second win there too!

Date: April 17, 2009 09:37PM
I'm just thinking very fast RBR - double diffuser + almost unheard-of-in-modern-F1 pull-rod rear suspension = stunning car mechanically.
Date: April 17, 2009 09:59PM
Mechanically though the pull-rods are no different to pushrods. Just pullrods run in perfect tension whereas pushrods in perfect compression. The only real difference is that with the pullrods they are mounted lower making a lower CoG but obviously causing difficulties in accessing them. I think for the RedBull Newey obviously wanted a very very low rear end, compare that to say the Williams whose 3rd spring we can see from the back, its quite high!!

Its the same at the front, pushrods and pullrods would mechanicaly technically make no difference, however because the pushrods would lie in such a posistion to influence the front wings wake (roughly 30degrees I read) then they are used. In terms of a mechanical response there is little to no difference between a pushrod/pullrod. It all comes down to packaging. With modern F1 technology (ie almost being able to setup the car at the factory) and the introduction of long life gearboxes (you persume they are more reliable) a pull rod rear suspensions like the way to go. The risk of needing to quickly change the suspension setup is less of a problem, and so to mount them in a more desirable position for the car than for the mechanic maybe a better bet.

Its funny, if i were asked which car was the best of 2009, I would be pushed hard to say the Brawn, however like said in the commentary on BBC, the redbull is built perfectly for the regulations as intended and the team is making Ferrari and Mclaren look silly. Maybe even more so than Brawn!! Ferrari and Mclaren can claim the double diffusers speed but at the moment RedBull appear to be able to be in touch of Brawn if they make mistakes!

RedBull will win this season, as will Toyota, and I hope Williams! But for redbull I dont think it will be monaco.

edit - Essentially my point is the gearbox was probably designed first. The car may not have been designed around the idea of pullrod rear but most likley the decision for either a pullrod or pushrod is decided by how much space is available in the area and of course how easy it would be to access them.

edit again! I beleive the cars of before used pullrods because of the lower noses also, so it was alot more favourable than a pushrod setup.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2009 10:07PM by chet.
Date: April 17, 2009 11:23PM
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RedBull will win this season, as will Toyota, and
> I hope Williams! But for redbull I dont think it
> will be monaco.

£10 via Paypal or bank transfer?

I pay you if Brawn or a team of your choice (to be decided before this weekend is out) win at Monaco, you pay me if RBR win (and I can't claim STR). If neither win, it's null and void. If the race is settled before the 75% mark it is also null and void.

Yay or nay? :P
Date: April 17, 2009 11:29PM
;)!!

Yay :p! And ill chose now, Brawn! lol

Date: April 17, 2009 11:36PM
Deal. Just remember to bring this thread up again, as there's no way I'll remember a month down the road. :P

Mal.... Melbourne-like-sticky? :P
Date: April 17, 2009 11:39PM
When you say a month down the line I get worried.

Alot can happen in that time lol!! RedBull doesnt seem like such a bad bet now lol! No backing out now though!

Date: April 17, 2009 11:49PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
chet Wrote:
> ;)!!
>
> Yay :p! And ill chose now, Brawn! lol

Ooh, I'll have some of that! ;)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: April 18, 2009 12:01AM
chet Wrote:
> When you say a month down the line I get worried.
>
> Alot can happen in that time lol!!

I thought it was longer to be honest. I'd written 2 months but checked the date. :P

Longer would be better for me. More chance RBR would have a multi-diffuser by then. :P

turkey_machine Wrote:
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ;)!!
> >
> > Yay :p! And ill chose now, Brawn! lol
>
> Ooh, I'll have some of that! ;)

@#$%& that, I'm not giving £10 to every poster who comes along with get-rich-quick theory. :P
Date: April 18, 2009 12:35AM
Posted by: Guimengo
I did a laptime of roughly 3 1/2 minutes at Monaco back in 2007. No aero devices and tigher last corner but I'd say the downforce level wasn't the same.

(Lancia Musa ;))

Anyway, good point there Chet and I suggest you just bookmark this page !
Date: April 18, 2009 04:52AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
i really hope it is webber if it is a RBR! he has been very fast there in the past, such as 2005 and 2006, and he won a few races there in his pre-F1 days as well i think.

but yes, i really hope toyota, williams and red bull all win at least one race this year!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 30, 2009 06:01PM
Posted by: alexf1man
monaco laptime will probably increase by 5 seconds or more for 2010 because of new rules :( and race might be 10 laps or so SHORTER :(
Date: April 30, 2009 07:40PM
Posted by: kubica2
chet Wrote:
> I put money on Vettel for WDC abit before season
> and was tempted for Monaco.
>
> But seeing the Brawn in slower corners, I reckon
> they're gonna walk it. Both of them maybe a lights
> to flag, but seeing as though aero-efficiency is
> not so much a factor we could see Lewis up there
> too. Trulli must be thinking about a second win
> there too!

i dont think hamilton can do it, the mclaren is slows through corners. its fast as everyone under braking, and faster then anyone in a straight line (mainly because it has the best kers system, but also the engine, as you can see its fast with brawn too). the straight line speed and braking helped in bahrain, cos its mainly stop start, but you could see in the race in sector 2 with the twisty sections, hamilton was losing time to whichever car he was following. straight line advantage is cut out in monaco, so he will be struggling there the most i think.
Date: May 01, 2009 07:55AM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
Well,i saw lewis onboard with his mp4/24,his throttling so slowly on mids...afraid to loss controlling rear-end and im afraid vettel will be a championship contender this season, if redbull is consistent enough(well,vettel is more consistent and he brakes not early not to late(some other may think he brake sort-of early.)Im not a german driver fan though.

Date: May 01, 2009 08:18AM
Posted by: mortal
You have a temporary pin, remind me to take it down after Monaco. ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: May 01, 2009 09:39AM
Posted by: kubica2
micky-cannonball Wrote:
> Well,i saw lewis onboard with his mp4/24,his
> throttling so slowly on mids...afraid to loss
> controlling rear-end and im afraid vettel will be
> a championship contender this season, if redbull
> is consistent enough(well,vettel is more
> consistent and he brakes not early not to
> late(some other may think he brake sort-of
> early.)Im not a german driver fan though.

If vettel is going to be a championship competitor, that first race crash may well prove to be costly, image if he loses the championship by 5 points, then everyone will look back at australia.
Date: May 01, 2009 09:58PM
Posted by: gin
kubica2 Wrote:
> micky-cannonball Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well,i saw lewis onboard with his mp4/24,his
> > throttling so slowly on mids...afraid to loss
> > controlling rear-end and im afraid vettel will
> be
> > a championship contender this season, if
> redbull
> > is consistent enough(well,vettel is more
> > consistent and he brakes not early not to
> > late(some other may think he brake sort-of
> > early.)Im not a german driver fan though.
>
>
> If vettel is going to be a championship
> competitor, that first race crash may well prove
> to be costly, image if he loses the championship
> by 5 points, then everyone will look back at
> australia.

yes but anything can happen, Button may make stupid mistake(s) as well. And who knows, if Maclaren and Ferarri and BMW recover Red Bull will not be anywhere near the podium again...too early to say though.

Re: Monaco lap times! (temporary pin)
Date: May 02, 2009 02:27PM
Posted by: The Lopper
It's gotta be between Red Bull and Brawn in Monaco. Ferrari and Macca are designed around KERS, by right the shouldn't have a hope on the twisty streets. Trulli in Toyota will fancy his chances too, generally drives well around Monte Carlo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy