The Officially Diffused 2009 Chinese GP *Here be Spoilers*

Posted by mcdo 
Yeah, i wouldn't be surprised if most teams run a short first stint to get rid of them. They need them for quali really, so i doubt many will repeat melbourne and use them last.

Re: The Officially Diffused 2009 Chinese GP (Spoilt?)
Date: April 17, 2009 08:41PM
Posted by: gin
senninho Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, i wouldn't be surprised if most teams run a
> short first stint to get rid of them. They need
> them for quali really, so i doubt many will repeat
> melbourne and use them last.

this will only work if everybody uses them first but if some teams dont, then they might build up a gap and it may be interesting end to the race ;)

Date: April 17, 2009 08:50PM
Posted by: chet
BTW, bang goes your theory about Ferrari and KERS. :P They're even slower now they've removed it. They've got big problems. I wonder what the odds are (and were before Melbourne) of them getting to Barcelona without a single point?

Lol!!

Hmm, not so sure, their car was designed around the intention of having 30Kg in that area, to suddenly remove it and place 30Kg elsewhere and expect a sudden improvment is unlikley. We will see what happens tomorrow, I was supprised to hear they have taken it out for this race though.

Ive been reading people making early stops to get rid of the softer tyres, but then surley even 10laps in when you pit you will come out in bad traffic, and the guys who are going to probably have long first stints. I think it will be a tough decision for everyone, but for the guys at the front starting on the harder compound seems a no brainer. I do like this rule very much! I also saw people weaving, I just assumed they were doing warmups lol!

I reckon ill get up for the practice, very excited about this race, more so than Malaysia! The prospect of Jenson making it 3 is really getting me nervous! Though i do reckon this will be very difficult. Btw, it seems alot of their addvantage comes from the final sector, and the key to that is was mentioned in commentary was the slower corners and the exit off them, then again with the final sequence. Brawns straight line speed wasnt great either.

Also, we saw Sutil being very handy in a straight line, and the FI commentator saying they lack downforce. I know it seems too simple to be right and they obviously havent missed it, but why do they simply not add more rear wing! Both Sutil and Fizzy are quick in a straightline! When he mentioned they needed downforce I expected them to be alot lower on the speedtraps, assuming they were already running at a limit without having too little straight line speed!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 17, 2009 09:24PM
Posted by: marcl
They seem to think most people will use them at the end for a very short stint and not the start.
Date: April 17, 2009 09:24PM
Posted by: gav
chet Wrote:
> Hmm, not so sure, their car was designed around
> the intention of having 30Kg in that area, to
> suddenly remove it and place 30Kg elsewhere and
> expect a sudden improvment is unlikley. We will
> see what happens tomorrow, I was supprised to hear
> they have taken it out for this race though.

You wouldn't race it in Melbourne and not in Shanghai other than if you were experiencing reliability issues. The tyre-wear issue clearly doesn't exist (other than hauling around 30kg in unoptimised weight), and if it did, then Ferrari aren't just up @#$%& creek, but their swimming up it without a canoe, let alone a paddle.

Ferrari showed a modicum of speed in both Aussieland and Malaysia, but they're absolutely nowhere here. I agree of course that running a car designed for KERS without KERS isn't ideal, but surely it's not this bad? Kubica has managed to make it work very well so far this year in a car designed for it, after all.

chet Wrote:
> Ive been reading people making early stops to get
> rid of the softer tyres, but then surley even
> 10laps in when you pit you will come out in bad
> traffic, and the guys who are going to probably
> have long first stints. I think it will be a tough
> decision for everyone, but for the guys at the
> front starting on the harder compound seems a no
> brainer. I do like this rule very much! I also saw
> people weaving, I just assumed they were doing
> warmups lol!

Yep, if the degradation of the tyres isn't any better tomorrow (I guess the teams will already know, and have their strategy planned), then the only guys to start on softs will be a couple in the 2nd half of the field gambling on a safety car early on, which isn't exactly likely here. It'll be interesting seeing Ferrari. On one hand they've got nothing to lose - they were going to score nothing anyway, so throw caution to the wind and risk a disaster for the chance of a point? On the other hand will they want to show the fans and media a degree of sense and stability and just get to the flag with a monumental @#$%&-up this time?
Date: April 17, 2009 09:33PM
Posted by: Naboo
Senninho i clicked cancel on ur sig, woops. I hope the race goes full distance this time and that it is not a brawn dominance, i would still prefer williams to win.
The thing is, supposedly Massa will use KERS, Kimi not, but Felipe couldn't yesterday (or today depending where you are in the planet) because the unity broke before, anyways it should be ready for today's (or tomorrow, also for same reason of the previous note) events at least.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2009 09:53PM by Rodrigo007.
Date: April 17, 2009 10:14PM
Posted by: chet
Ferrari aren't just up @#$%& creek, but their swimming up it without a canoe, let alone a paddle.

Lol!!!

Fair points, they do seem slower here, and still seem to have the same problems without the KERS, and right now it seems a loss losing that extra power!

Id be supprised to see Ferrari not scrape a point. The weekend hasnt started well but I think their problems are shared throughout the pitlane. We should see later I guess! But 3 races and no points would be a disaster!! Their changes to the pitwall seem strange to me aswell, change is not what they need atm. And though the removal of Balda to the factory from the pitwall seems to be based on the rumour that the tyre call was his call seems strange. It was always going to be a hero or zero moment. I guess no-one really expected the rain to be as light as it initially was, as said, when it rains it really rains!! Would his move to the factory have occured if it did rain when Kimi put his wets on?? Though people deny it, it seems like demotion.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
So Brawn are probably sandbagging, Toyota and Williams and Red Bull are consistent, but not as quick as Brawn, and McLaren are one-shot-wonders for that top time in FP1 - soft tyres, low fuel. They're still a fair way behind the pace setters, and it'll be between the 2 Brawn cars and the other front-runners for victory.

A Ferrari victory - what odds would you get for that bearing in mind their car's slow, unreliable, and unpredictable too? Worst start since 1992 looks set to continue, and I would honestly not be surprised to find one of their cars causing a safety car on Sunday! The fact they took KERS out of the car meant it was not reliable, and considering they weren't exactly quick with it, they have a LOT of speed to find!

The rest of the teams will have a close battle in the midfield. I reckon Q2's gonna be very very close - probably 7 tenths separating 1st from 14th.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: April 17, 2009 11:34PM
turkey_machine Wrote:
> So Brawn are probably sandbagging, Toyota and
> Williams and Red Bull are consistent, but not as
> quick as Brawn, and McLaren are one-shot-wonders
> for that top time in FP1 - soft tyres, low fuel.
> They're still a fair way behind the pace setters,
> and it'll be between the 2 Brawn cars and the
> other front-runners for victory.

Did someone run the softs in FP1 then? I'm human so I didn't watch FP1.

Safety car either means hitting a fellow competitor or hitting a wall in a critical place. The former is as likely to happen here as most other circuits, but the latter is very, very remote. I can only recall one car hitting the wall at all in China - Mr. Karthikeyan in 2005 - I can't think of anywhere else worthy of causing a safety car, other than blocking the pit-lane or a high-speed blind corner. To put it another way, the latter is not going to happen. :P

The final chance is inclement weather, but after Sepang, there's no way I'm relying on mother nature for anything.
gav Wrote:
> Did someone run the softs in FP1 then? I'm human
> so I didn't watch FP1.
>
> Safety car either means hitting a fellow
> competitor or hitting a wall in a critical place.
> The former is as likely to happen here as most
> other circuits, but the latter is very, very
> remote. I can only recall one car hitting the wall
> at all in China - Mr. Karthikeyan in 2005 - I
> can't think of anywhere else worthy of causing a
> safety car, other than blocking the pit-lane or a
> high-speed blind corner. To put it another way,
> the latter is not going to happen. :P
>
> The final chance is inclement weather, but after
> Sepang, there's no way I'm relying on mother
> nature for anything.

Hamilton ran softs (saw that on the BBC report on FP1+2) and quite probably low fuel - I dunno, I just skimmed through the highlights. ;)

So an SC is unlikely. Meh. Guess those starting the softs will just have to live with it, especially if they're falling apart as fast as Alonso makes out.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

gav Wrote:
> turkey_machine Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So Brawn are probably sandbagging, Toyota and
> > Williams and Red Bull are consistent, but not
> as
> > quick as Brawn, and McLaren are
> one-shot-wonders
> > for that top time in FP1 - soft tyres, low
> fuel.
> > They're still a fair way behind the pace
> setters,
> > and it'll be between the 2 Brawn cars and the
> > other front-runners for victory.
>
> Did someone run the softs in FP1 then? I'm human
> so I didn't watch FP1.
>
>
> nature for anything.

Got up for FP1 and FP2. There wasn't much action in FP1 so you couldn't see what everyone was using. Most of the top runners didn't use softs but some of the back markers may have used softs from time to time
Date: April 18, 2009 12:03AM
turkey_machine Wrote:
> So an SC is unlikely. Meh. Guess those starting
> the softs will just have to live with it,
> especially if they're falling apart as fast as
> Alonso makes out.

If you want to see what the softs are like, watch FP2 from about half-way. I found it staggering. Maybe I'm just old though.
Date: April 18, 2009 12:18AM
Posted by: EC83
gav Wrote:

Don't underestimate those drain covers! ;)

Apart from a possible first corner smash i can't see there being a SC here (unless it does rain, which looks unlikely).

Buttons strategy from Australia seems the way to go if you can keep those soft tyres controlled. If not i think teams who cant run them well will be running a 3 stop (looks like Ferrari especially after FP1+2 need to run a 3 stopper)

gav Wrote:
>
> nature for anything.

Well as long as there's cars running on those super-softs, there's always the possibility of a major blowout and cars crashing on straights and whatever else...We've seen a lot of the safety already this season, you just don't know what's going to happen this season!

And of course, as already mentioned, there are drain covers...
FP3 is beginning. Will be interesting to see what happens ready for Qualifying

Rain predicted for tomorrow.
Has Hamilton just done a Lewis Hamilton? I think so

Rosberg's done a Hamilton!! ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy