So... a couple of days until end of difuser issue...

Posted by Frantic 
So... a couple of days until end of difuser issue...
Date: April 12, 2009 09:04PM
Posted by: Frantic
How do you think its gonna finish? i think they will be accepeted (again)...

Re: So... a couple of days until end of difuser issue...
Date: April 12, 2009 09:26PM
Posted by: chet
I really cant see how they can be declared illegal, or even against the spirit of the rules (what exactly is that? and thats the point, what is following the spirit of the rules and what is not?)

The three teams should come out of this on top. Just depends on how well the 7 teams can explain what they find wrong with the diffusers, and then from that explain why they do not follow the regulations.

But they were declared legal, twice, so what exactly are the teams protesting? I think thats what the FIA will wnat to know.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
it will be a tough decision, because it seems the appealers will bring in other factors such as safety, money and overtaking which, despite being not completely related to the actual appeal, could strongly influence the hearing. Brawn's offer to clarify the rules last year should help them as well. i'm sure many of the teams are taking 2 diffusers to China just in case...

and even after they decide whether the diffusers are legal or not, they will have to decide whether to kick the other teams out of the first two races, which would leave us with a REALLY unusual points table. the FIA certainly aren't afraid to change race results long after the finish line, so that is a possibility as well, but definitely least likely of the 3 options

however, my gut feeling is that they will find them illegal, but will allow them to keep their results. however,

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2009 09:35PM by SchueyFan.
F1 would be really hurt if they were DQ'ed after this long.
Imo, I think the results will stick, and they will be found legal, and McLaren, Ferrari etc will have a new diffuser come China, or Bahrain at the latest, and in a month we would've forgotten all the controversy of the opening 2 races.

If the teams were DQ'ed I can see a lot of fans walking away from F1, as well as FOTA really starting to push for a break away series.

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: April 13, 2009 01:50PM
Posted by: chet
[www.brawngp.blogspot.com]

Here are three videos showcasing the BGP001, and in the first video there is an explanation of one of the reasons for the protests of the diffuser.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
casabonka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> as well as FOTA really
> starting to push for a break away series.

i don't see how this could happen because of this, as no matter what happens, a large percentage of the teams will be very happy with the decision.

X (@ed24f1)
they could ban the diffusers and keep the results of the first races.
Date: April 14, 2009 12:50AM
Posted by: EC83
I really, really hope the FIA see sense over this and boot out this appeal. We've got a Championship that's taking amazing shape, with different drivers and a new team at the top, a real healthy refreshing change. And it's been done through smart innovation, not through cheating.
If the FIA did deem these diffusers illegal it would turn this season into a farce.

Date: April 14, 2009 11:08AM
Posted by: Sapo
Frantic schreef:
> How do you think its gonna finish? i think they
> will be accepeted (again)...

I think and hope the same, but on the other hand, the FIA's last thousand decisions were unexpected, uimaginable, unwise and unexplicably stupid too.

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2009 11:27AM by Sapo.
EC83 Wrote:
> I really, really hope the FIA see sense over this
> and boot out this appeal. We've got a Championship
> that's taking amazing shape, with different
> drivers and a new team at the top, a real healthy
> refreshing change. And it's been done through
> smart innovation, not through cheating.
> If the FIA did deem these diffusers illegal it
> would turn this season into a farce.

I have to aggree with you
I really do not see how they can remove points from the teams though, they let Renault and Ferrari keep their points from races they won with illegal cars. Infact had they taken away the points kimi got Lewis would have been champ that year.
2 sets of stewards have declared the cars legal, the FIA would be opening a massive can of worms if they disqualified 'the diffuser 6' from the first 2 races.

i guess the issue is what happens regarding a modfication of the rules. ie do they ban the diffusers from this point onwards by closing the loop hole?

i'm wondering if they'll do what they did with the active suspension argument in 93 and say that the rules will be changed at the end of the season.

i just struggle to see the argument to ban them from now on given that they clearly are not illegal.

a few people were moaning about the time and money that would need to be spent by the others to change their cars to have the double diffuser and that it would be cheaper and quicker for those with the diffusers to change theirs.

but thats complete rubbish because everyone else is already well on the way to having their own versions.

when he was asked about it on friday practice in australia, Force india's Ian Phillips' response was 'i know of at least 1 group of people just outside silverstone who are working to copy the design as we speak'

BMW, Mclaren and Renault are all rumoured to be able to turn up to spain with their own versions if the ruling goes against them. so with that in mind the whole thing just seems utterly pointless.
(ok, red bull and ferrari are making a massive deal about it because they have the hardest job fitting them to their cars)
The standings IF the diffuser would be called illegal AND the 3 teams lose their points:

1. F. Alonso - 11,5
2. N. Heidfeld - 9
3. S. Buemi - 8
4. S. Bourdais - 8
4. M. Webber - 6
5. A. Sutil - 5
6. L. Hamilton - 3
7. G. Fisichella - 3
8. F. Massa - 2.5
9. N. Piquet - 1
10. K. Räikkönen - 0.5

1. Toro Rosso - 16 ;)
2. Renault - 12,5
3. BMW Sauber - 9
4. Force India - 8
5. Red Bull - 6
6. Ferrari - 0,5

Bring back the racing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2009 03:50PM by antihero.
"Renault's representative Andrew Ford said the sport's governing body had already concluded the design was illegal, and that was the reason why the French team decided not to use it.

"It is not that Renault missed the boat, as Brawn have pointed out, it is because the FIA said it was illegal. It was at that point the diffuser was abandoned," said Ford."
if that's proven to be true, it will be very hard for them to decide what to do. This really should have been worked out before Melbourne.

it also seems to be another situation where the FIA has told multiple stories to different parties, something which the Ferrari lawyer has pointed out to them already at the appeal.

All this from [en.f1-live.com]

btw, its been discussed whether the non-diffuser teams have got another one ready for the next few races, but have the diffuser teams got one ready for this weekend should the double-decker one be found illegal?

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 17, 2009 02:21PM
Posted by: mcdo
The disputed diffusers have been declared legal, so the objectors will have to scramble to catch up with, not 'downforce' their opponents, if you'll pardon the pun.

Surely the diffuser is only a part of the unbelievable variance from traditional performance?
yes, its good to have it over and done with!

X (@ed24f1)
yes finally finished thank god.

2 people who dont come out with any credit in this is ferrari and fia. ferrari for their unneccasary vindictiveness and fia who when it all shakes out have some big questions to answer like why they did they say to rbr and renault before the season it was illegal and now it is legal? newey would have had this dd incorporated into their design if the fia had not said it was illegal and rbr would be whipping everyone now.

oh well the others just have to catch up.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: April 17, 2009 04:44PM
Posted by: EC83
It was fantastic news, mainly a relief. Predictable outcome, but absolutely - great it's finally over. Now hopefully we can enjoy what should be an epic season of racing!!

Date: April 17, 2009 04:58PM
Posted by: gav
rapid_f1 Wrote:
> 2 people who dont come out with any credit in this
> is ferrari and fia. ferrari for their unneccasary
> vindictiveness and fia who when it all shakes out
> have some big questions to answer like why they
> did they say to rbr and renault before the season
> it was illegal and now it is legal? newey would
> have had this dd incorporated into their design if
> the fia had not said it was illegal and rbr would
> be whipping everyone now.

Listening to the BBC this morning apparently Renault didn't show them a double/triple/multi decker, but something else. Charlie can't exactly come out and say "no, you can't do that, but here's something you can..."

I've not heard about RBR asking for clarification on a diffuser though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2009 04:59PM by gav.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy