Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Re: End of Mclaren?
Date: April 10, 2009 12:12AM
Posted by: gav
Jagdpanzer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd love to see him leave McLaren and wind up
> driving for someone like Toro Rosso where everyone
> could see just what a flash in the pan he was...

Hamilton's fantastic. Don't try to convince yourself otherwise. I don't like the guy, but I'm not naive enough to think he's just a mediocre driver. He's unfortunate to have found himself in this position*, and in the worst team from his point of view to have it in, but the guy has already won the title and finished 2nd in his first 2 seasons. With all due respect to his fellow peers, he's better than most of them.

* Meaning the team he's caught up in, in the phase it's going through off track. He's as guilty a party as anyone else in that team, and at 24, not exactly a kid who can just point at Dave Ryan and rely on naivety to get him through.

On track he's lacking confidence, judging by his lack of oversteery flamboyance displayed when he's had a strong car, but off track he's got a hell of a lot of work to do to repair what is rapidly becoming a shattered reputation. In 2007 a lot felt that butter wouldn't melt in his mouth and that Alonso was pure evil. 2008 comes, Alonso goes, Hamilton's involved in endless controversy, mainly of his own making, loses a lot of friends and respect in the paddock among his peers, makes a mess of the season, but manages to win the title, while Alonso generally keeps his mouth in a slow car but still shows people he's still boss. 2 races into 2009, Dennis goes, McLaren AND Hamilton attempt to cheat a fellow competitor in the first race and then lie again before the 2nd race.

He's not exactly about to disappear out of the sport, but when you think of the above, he's got his work cut out to get many back on his side. He's certainly lost the lustre he commanded from the British public through the Alonso and Spa sagas last year. He and his team need to STFU and just do their talking on the track for a couple of year. If there's any controversy, just let it go, because as things go, no sponsor is going to want to touch either McLaren or Hamilton in the near future.
Date: April 10, 2009 12:34AM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
Tbh the one most harmed in this tends to be Kovalainen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2009 12:36AM by Rodrigo007.
Date: April 10, 2009 01:21AM
Posted by: The Lopper
Don't see him being harmed at all really. McLaren IS Hamilton and vice-versa. Kovalainen's only there to make up numbers. The sooner Heikki gets out of there the better, imo.

If McLaren could only avoid controversy (and my but don't they have difficulty doing that!) then a few years in the doldrums would be exactly what Hamilton needs. Brits love their underdogs. We saw that with Mansell, we saw that with Hill, we're seeing it with Button. A couple of years' struggle for Hamilton and public perception will swing right round for him.
Date: April 10, 2009 02:04AM
Heikki's not doing too bad at all. He's been at least the equal of Hamilton in both events so far... until the race. That might be showing Hamilton's lack of confidence in the car rather than Heikki's ability, but with all this going on, Heikki's poor start to the season points wise has been all but forgotten. While Hamilton's attracting all the negatives, Heikki's stock will only rise while he keeps his fingers out of the @#$%&. Without even completing a lap in 2009 he's already shown me he's a lot better off this year than last.

It's a weird sport.
Date: April 10, 2009 04:54AM
Posted by: montoya6k
I wonder what will happen to hamilton, if alonso goes to ferrari for 2011 ;), i'de really prefer alonso with that red car, although b4 i dont like him their, because schumi is still their though kinda wierd.

2 Hot 2 Handle.

MS-

KR -

"You must always pick the worst car and the worst team on the grid, to be the best."
—Fangio
Date: April 10, 2009 12:59PM
Posted by: J i m
I think Hamilton is as big a culprit as the team in this one.

He had already told the media what happend immediately after the race, he should know by now what kind of animal the media is.

If he was encouraged to lie by the team, which seems likely, then he should have said "Look fellas, I already told the media what happend, the FIA have the radio conversation, it would be sutpid to lie."

And lets face it... at 24 years old, and as world champion you'd have expected him to be able to do that. It shows his immaturity that he did not.

Had he done that, he would have come out of smeeling of roses.

He may be a team player, but he would have been even more of a team player had he refused to lie, because at the end of the day it would have benifited the team a lot.

His reputation will have taking a battering in general over this, but luckily for him the british public will still be falling over each other to lick his boots as soon as he puts in his next meteroic performance, which he will do, because above all else he is a cracking driver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2009 01:00PM by J i m.
Date: April 10, 2009 03:46PM
gav Wrote:
> Heikki's not doing too bad at all. He's been at
> least the equal of Hamilton in both events so
> far... until the race. That might be showing
> Hamilton's lack of confidence in the car rather
> than Heikki's ability, but with all this going on,
> Heikki's poor start to the season points wise has
> been all but forgotten. While Hamilton's
> attracting all the negatives, Heikki's stock will
> only rise while he keeps his fingers out of the
> @#$%&. Without even completing a lap in 2009 he's
> already shown me he's a lot better off this year
> than last.
>
> It's a weird sport.

I've always felt that Heikki is pretty close to Hamilton, but generally he has terrible luck in the race, just doesn't have the pace, makes errors etc. If things were equal in McLaren who knows how close he'd be but I really wonder how much attention the team is giving him. He's been knocked out of one race this year, and knocked himself out of the second; you feel if he could just avoid getting himself into trouble he'll score plenty of points.
Date: April 10, 2009 03:58PM
Posted by: chet
Both Ferrari and Mclaren have cost themselves alot of crucial points, and when you think back to last year where it came to the last point, on the very last corner of 08 you just wonder what they are playing at!

They are gifting Brawn crucial points at an early stage, when later in the season poeple are saying they will not be able keep at the top. If so, then right now is the time Mclaren, and Ferrari need to be picking up the rest of the points.

If either Ferrari or Mclaren leave for Barcelona without having scored at least 10 points in each race then they are going to have to really push Brawn during the mid-season!

Not really willing to say it because I do not know, but even if the diffusers are declared illegal, I still feel Brawn will have the addvantage till at least Monaco, and I do think reliability providing, that one of them will win each race upto and including Monaco. After that Ferrari should be back their old selves, and Mclaren should have sorted themelves out also!

All this is providing Mclaren do not get a race ban!!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 10, 2009 04:26PM
Posted by: marcl
I dont think Kovy has been at all equal to Lewis this year, in Australia Lewis car broke down in quali 1 so he never had the chance to complete what would have been his fastest lap.

Kovy has gone out of 2 races lewis has finished them both in the points.

For me Kovy is more of a let down this year than last year.
Date: April 10, 2009 05:14PM
His pace through all the practice sessions and testing has been consistently closer to Hamilton than through all of last year.

He may well have wilted during the races, but on the evidence we do have, he's been completely level and looking more at one with the car.

And he's only a point behind Hamilton and level with both Ferrari drivers. :P
Date: April 10, 2009 09:40PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
More details of Lewis inquiry emerge

Lewis Hamilton and former McLaren sporting director Dave Ryan continued to insist that Jarno Trulli had passed Hamilton of his own volition in Australia even when presented with evidence to the contrary during the second stewards' hearing at Sepang, it has emerged.

Earlier this week McLaren was summoned to appear before the FIA World Motor Sport Council to answer charges that it had breached the sporting code by misleading the race stewards in Melbourne.

The crux of the matter was that Hamilton had been ordered to slow and let Trulli back past after the Toyota had gone off the road under the safety car.

McLaren had initially believed that Lewis passed the Toyota in error as they formed up behind the safety car, and it was only after the positions were exchanged that the team realised what had happened and sought clarification, but with none forthcoming from the busy race control office, Hamilton crossed the line fourth behind Trulli.

The radio instruction was then left out of Hamilton and Ryan's discussion with the stewards, who were therefore given the impression that Trulli had forced his way into third rather than effectively being waved through.

The Italian was given a 25s penalty before the radio conversation and contradictory television interviews by Hamilton came to the FIA's attention, leading to a new investigation and ultimately Hamilton's disqualification and now McLaren's summons to the WMSC.

Two of the charges related to the subsequent hearing in Malaysia, suggesting that Hamilton and Ryan had stuck to their initial version of events when presented with the crucial new evidence at Sepang, and the governing body has now confirmed that this was the case.

"First of all, Lewis heard the radio exchange," an FIA source told Autosport magazine.

"It appeared that the strategy was to be extremely vague and not be very direct with the answers.

"Then the interview where he said 'I was told to let him through' was played.

"At that point they both got very uncomfortable, but still denied that's what had actually happened.

"It was a bit surreal, this situation where you had the radio evidence and the interview, and they were putting a completely different interpretation on what the words actually meant.

"But the words were very, very clear."

Ryan has since been sacked by McLaren, and the team will appear before the FIA on 29 April to learn if it will face further sanctions.

In another new twist, the FIA has suggested that Ryan might not be present at the hearing, leaving Hamilton to argue his case without the man he has hinted encouraged him to mislead the stewards.

"The FIA has jurisdiction only over its licence holders and their employees," an FIA source told the Guardian newspaper.

"We cannot compel Dave Ryan to attend or give evidence if he feels unwilling to do so.

"We have yet to hear precisely who will be representing the McLaren team in attending the meeting."

source: [www.itv-f1.com]

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: April 11, 2009 07:49AM
Posted by: DannyG
THE CONTENT OF THIS POST HAS BEEN REMOVED AS IT VIOLATES THE RULES OF THIS WEB SITE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2009 11:26PM by mortal.
Date: April 11, 2009 08:28AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Lewis Hamilton and former McLaren sporting director Dave Ryan continued to insist that Jarno Trulli had passed Hamilton of his own volition in Australia even when presented with evidence to the contrary during the second stewards' hearing at Sepang, it has emerged.

There is following orders, then there is just down right moronic.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 11, 2009 09:23AM
Posted by: senninho
DannyG Wrote:
> THE CONTENT OF THIS POST HAS BEEN REMOVED AS IT VIOLATES THE RULES OF THIS FORUM
niiiiiiice...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2009 11:29PM by mortal.
Date: April 11, 2009 10:45AM
Posted by: alexf1man
DannyG and senninho, you both sound RACIST to me
Date: April 11, 2009 11:01AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
alexf1man Wrote:
> DannyG and senninho, you both sound RACIST to me

senninho is not racist.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 11, 2009 11:29AM
DannyG Wrote:
THE CONTENT OF THIS POST HAS BEEN REMOVED AS IT VIOLATES THE RULES OF THIS FORUM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2009 11:27PM by mortal.
Date: April 11, 2009 12:00PM
Posted by: senninho
alexf1man Wrote:
> DannyG and senninho, you both sound RACIST to me

Apologies, i thought the sarcasm was more obvious than that...

Date: April 11, 2009 12:06PM
Posted by: Nemesis78
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Lewis Hamilton and former McLaren sporting
> director Dave Ryan continued to insist that Jarno
> Trulli had passed Hamilton of his own volition in
> Australia even when presented with evidence to the
> contrary during the second stewards' hearing at
> Sepang, it has emerged.
>
> There is following orders, then there is just down
> right moronic.

No doubt it's only a matter of time before Jackie Stewart steps up and tells the world how the FIA hate McLaren!

AlexF1Man.

You really don't understand sarcasm do you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy