The Official 2009 Malaysian GP Thread *spoilers*

Posted by Anonymous User 
Re: The Official 2009 Malaysian GP Thread *spoilers*
Date: April 05, 2009 06:30PM
Posted by: Gaulty
From people I know who went to the race, they said that there was simialar downpours at regualar intervals throughout the day, so really F1 couldn't avoid at least one downpour. I think the GP2 Asia had to be delayed half an hour and be started under safety car and that was before hand, so I don't think start time can be blamed.

Team Owner of ItalianEnglish Dynamics in GPG Super League
GP4 Season 5: 7) Jethro Walters. 8) Zsigmond Somogyi. TD) Stuart Ingers and Joel Henrique
GP3 Season 5: 14) Nathan Turner. 15) Tobias Kederer.
6 Time Race Winners
maybe so, but from other days, it seems a downpour at around 6:00pm was a regular occurence

X (@ed24f1)
I don't think it was just the rain, it was getting pretty dark too so the combination of standing water and poor visibilty could have lead to a nasty shunt... I think it was the right call. Just a shame the cars aren't made to race in those sort of cinditions and we didn't get to see some good racing. I thought it was quite entertaining up till that point :)

"Racing is LIFE. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen.
maybe they could bring back the 'monsoon' tyre from a few years ago, but i don't think any tyre would have helped today.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 05, 2009 07:04PM
Posted by: Nickv
chet schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In defence of the Malaysian start time, who could
> have anticipated this weather when they decided on
> the time?

Anybody? It's rainy season in Malaysia now. That means there is rain every single day between 4pm and 7pm for two months. Starting time of the race: 5 pm...
Date: April 05, 2009 07:19PM
Posted by: chet
Hasnt monsoon season gone? I thought it was sept/nov to march.

But the weather was generally the same all year round!! With Sun and clear skies in the morning, and the chance of showers in the afternoon which are on-off.

But my point still stands, for a while the rain featured in the race was not enough to stop, but then when the heavy stuff came but wasnt too long cleared after and the conditions were that so the cars could run, but unfortunatly we had no time. The initial shower could have hit 20-30mins later quite easily, then we may have even finished the race under those conditions. Weather is unpredictable. Though in hindsight it would probably have been better to start the race earlier, I doubt anyone could ahve predicted this when it was decided that the race would be a later start.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 05, 2009 07:27PM
Posted by: Nickv
If there are monsoon showers between 4pm and 7pm every day, and start the race at 5pm, you can be quite sure there is going to be rain and possibly heavy monsoon showers (sicne you're in the rainy season). The chance just vastly increases that you have a monsoon shower in the race if you start it in that timeframe. They could've known. How many years have we heard stories about (heavy) rain falling just after the race in Malaysia?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2009 07:28PM by Nickv.
Everybody said there was going to be a huge downpour at this time. Weather in tropical countries is not as varied as other parts of the world, it is quite normal to have a massive downpour in the evening, like clockwork. The locals were all saying this, but F1 got it wrong by trying to suit Europeans. If you want to suit Europeans, have all the races in Europe where the vast amount of fans are. This business of having races in Malaysia to expand the sport globally and then having the races on at difficult times for the venue to suit us in Europe is neither here nor there. This is the second race in a row where late started races have been detrimentally affected. I have never really had a problem at getting up at 3am to watch a race in Australia or where ever. They were laughing at F1 on RTÉ Sports News today, laughing at them for getting it so wrong. Hardly the good PR move F1 thought it was making by moving these races to later times.

Anyway rant over, what a great race that was. People said the first one was good, but this was miles better. We saw the real effects of KERS here, as a number of fast starters used it to great effect, particularly Alonso, and then we saw some fantastic racing as the KERS and non-KERS cars had to battle it out. The circuit was obviously seriously lacking in grip, and it was amazing to see the different lines taken by drivers as they attacked and defended. The most amazing performance, for the first portion, was Nico Rosberg. On the softs, as opposed to the super-softs, he was damn impressive in the opening stages, and had he had a larger fuel load, could well have figured higher. Again Williams have to be disappointed with their return from the weekend, just a half a point. Better things will surely come, and it is fantastic to see them up there.

I was absolutely delighted to see Heidfeld and O'Glock on the podium (and great to see my alternative appellation for the latter catching on, I'm looking at you Lex ;-) ). Both drove great races, helped hugely by their tactics, although Heidfeld was very lucky to have the race stopped when it did. I've felt for a while that O'Glock is a better racer than Trulli and while this solitary result far from proves that, it was encouraging to see him press his advantage on the inters so deceisively when he got them.

Finally, can the FIA please change the rules so that the final results are taken from when the red flag is shown, not the previous lap? I'm sure some will disagree with this, but I feel it's only fair; Hamilton, O'Glock and Rosberg can feel hard done by tonight due to the current system.

We were complaining before that Malaysia had never hosted a "classic" race...Well they finally have! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2009 07:58PM by The Lopper.
Date: April 05, 2009 07:59PM
Nickv Wrote:
> If there are monsoon showers between 4pm and 7pm
> every day, and start the race at 5pm, you can be
> quite sure there is going to be rain and possibly
> heavy monsoon showers (sicne you're in the rainy
> season). The chance just vastly increases that you
> have a monsoon shower in the race if you start it
> in that timeframe. They could've known. How many
> years have we heard stories about (heavy) rain
> falling just after the race in Malaysia?

Ok agreed, totally forgot about the few reports of after race rain. But i still reckon there was a good chance of the rain holding out a little longer, and when it did hit like today would still have been driveable...

Date: April 05, 2009 08:13PM
Posted by: n00binio
The Lopper schrieb:
> Finally, can the FIA please change the rules so
> that the final results are taken from when the red
> flag is shown, not the previous lap? I'm sure some
> will disagree with this, but I feel it's only
> fair; Hamilton, O'Glock and Rosberg can feel hard
> done by tonight due to the current system.

when the race is red flagged you normally expect it to be restarted. therefore the gaps between drivers are important. if you took the last lap everybody would push till the sf line to avoid loosing time and that's quite contrary to the purpose of the red flag.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: April 05, 2009 08:24PM
Posted by: Karan
Was that Button's new lady friend, they were showing during the podium, looking up? Young oriental looking girl...rather cute I thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2009 08:24PM by Karan.
n00binio Wrote:
> The Lopper schrieb:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Finally, can the FIA please change the rules so
> > that the final results are taken from when the
> red
> > flag is shown, not the previous lap? I'm sure
> some
> > will disagree with this, but I feel it's only
> > fair; Hamilton, O'Glock and Rosberg can feel
> hard
> > done by tonight due to the current system.
>
> when the race is red flagged you normally expect
> it to be restarted. therefore the gaps between
> drivers are important. if you took the last lap
> everybody would push till the sf line to avoid
> loosing time and that's quite contrary to the
> purpose of the red flag.

Yes I quite agree, but I feel a different rule needs to be written for races that are stopped, as these are becoming more likely than ones that are to be restarted. So if the race is restarted, then we go for the penultimate lap, but if the race is not restarted then it should go for race order when the race is stopped. That's just my view.
What are FOM or whatever doing. Why is there not much of the tv graphics anymore.
Last year they showed everyones apex speed in a chosen corner, it would have been interesting to know the difference between the Diffuser teams and non-diffuser teams!!

Date: April 05, 2009 09:10PM
Thats a good point
I switched the feed to main feed and onboard because BBC featured all the timings in between the drivers.

In Aus and here I felt that this was not featured enough on the normal feed. Without the gap differences it becomes very difficult to follow the progress of those not in view! This became useful, especially in the wet conditions. The gap from first to second was hardly shown and given what was happening, it was an important part of the race, to see how far back Rosberg was, then eventually Glock, and how fast Glock could catch!

Date: April 05, 2009 09:11PM
Posted by: Monza972
DJSKYLINE Wrote:
> What are FOM or whatever doing. Why is there not
> much of the tv graphics anymore.
> Last year they showed everyones apex speed in a
> chosen corner, it would have been interesting to
> know the difference between the Diffuser teams and
> non-diffuser teams!!

The graphics have been playing up throughout the weekend. In Q1 when it was the most crucial of all times, the side graphic just goes blank and doesn't show one of the drivers in the drop out zone.
lol they should get this sorted! I thought this year they wanted to improve by giving more info to fans! (or was this BBC? lol)

hmm cant say I noticed that Monza972, good spot though

Date: April 05, 2009 09:27PM
Posted by: Slash
montoya6k Wrote:
> Fernando Alonso a classic start pick up's pace up
> to 3rd,but his car was lack of pace,then slip
> down,..hamilton lol! struggling,i will consider
> these as one of great races in 2009 season

Hamilton left his balls in Brazil last year, apparently in the garage because he didn't drove well in the rain there either..., the only reason he kept fighting Webber was because he was overusing the KERS

anyways this victory proved that Jenson/Brawn are very strong, they came back from any adversity to keep 1st place, Jenson's the MAN!...

and i predicted Timo in the podium, but never expected Piquet to finish the race, well, half of it
Date: April 05, 2009 09:33PM
Posted by: marcl
The Lewis and Webber race today was one of the highlights for me today both were really fair on the track and it was good racing.

The team making me laugh at the moment are Ferrari, yes Mclaren have not done a good job but Ferrari are even worse.

People last year in Monza slated Lewis for what happened in quali yes with Massa hardly anyone says a word sums it up really dont it.
Date: April 05, 2009 09:42PM
Posted by: Slash
Ferrari is a circus right now, when i saw Kimi strugglin to keep the car on the track with those tyres, i really tought they are just a bunch of used-up, has - beens

and yes marcl, the fight was great, but ironically Webber kept outbraking him in every corner, yet last year he was calling Kimi ball-less because he passed Kimi

anyways Kovalainen SUCKS!
marcl Wrote:
> People last year in Monza slated Lewis for what
> happened in quali yes with Massa hardly anyone
> says a word sums it up really dont it.

I have a feeling because its for the following reason

Hamilton made his own decision and chose the wrong tires iirc, then by the time he changed the track conditions got worse? So people were slating him because he couldnt make his own choices and should just listen to the team.

Here I personally think the team thought it was enough so didnt send either Kimi or Massa out..when I feel both should have gone for a 2nd run.

Hamiltons fault Vs Team fault

But then one could argue the team should have told Lewis and Massa in his incident should have gone out for himself and told the team!

Im not 100% about my statement about hamilton in monza above so I await corrections.

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2009 09:44PM by DJSKYLINE.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy