Blame It On Bernie

Posted by Shinnbob 
Blame It On Bernie
Date: March 21, 2009 01:08PM
Posted by: Shinnbob
'The FIA believed it was acting with the full support of the teams when it introduced a new 'winner-takes-all' points system ahead the new Formula 1 season, according to its president Max Mosley.

The sport's governing body announced yesterday that it was prepared to defer the new system until 2010 if the teams were unhappy about it.

This was in response to a statement from the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) on Friday questioning the validity of the rule change.

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph: "Bernie [Ecclestone, F1's commercial rights holder] told me that he talked to all the teams and everybody was happy.

"I was led to believe they all agreed. The World Council was under the impression that they had all agreed."

FOTA believes that the new rules, which will see the world championship handed to the driver with the most wins during the season, could not be changed at this late stage without unanimous support of the teams.

In light of complaints from leading figures, the FIA has now said that if the teams are unhappy then the introduction of the wins systems will be delayed until 2010.'

Taken from Autosport

Made me chuckle, what a farce, and according to Mosely its all Bernies fault! What an absolute waste of time both of them seem to be at the minute, hopefully the FIA sort themselves out and stop these awful decisions which are slowly eroding away the reputation of the sport

Re: Blame It On Bernie
Date: March 21, 2009 01:31PM
Posted by: Paul Boy
I would mind betting that this 'winner wins' will not go-ahead EVER. They've now realised that it is flawed.

Bernie has been good for the sport, no doubting that, but now...... I'm not so sure, he's too old, his mannerisms, the way he talks and his is stubbornness is just like an old man that still thinks he still got it.
Date: March 22, 2009 09:42PM
Posted by: J i m
Bernie is still hell bent on pushing it through. But I'd expect FOTA to fight it again.

Meanwhile Max is insisting he might go for yet another term as FIA president and claims he has strong support.

These two men really do not know when to call things quits do they? The time to move aside seems to have long come and gone now.
Date: March 22, 2009 10:34PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
wtf! FOTA told the FIA what they thought should happen. If the teams had all supported it, then they would have suggested it.

Just trying to shift the blame. Complete disgrace.

Date: March 24, 2009 03:14PM
Posted by: y2cwr2005
I think this article on F1-Live sums up Ecclestones attitude right now.

"It's not the same with me," he explained. "Everything I have done, I have done for myself or the company that I run. I have never done it thinking it could be good for somebody else."

[en.f1-live.com]

Date: March 24, 2009 03:19PM
Posted by: Nickv
Which is backed up by this:

[f1.gpupdate.net]
Date: March 24, 2009 03:50PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I think that has been proven when he signed Tilke and got Malaysia on the calendar. It was further reinforced with other very (un)attractive venues in dodgy locations :P.
Date: March 25, 2009 07:18PM
Posted by: Fincent
The more I hear about Bernie recently the more I despise him. Scheming little man, as if he doesn't have enough money already, have a read of this from ITV-F1.com...

Bernie Ecclestone has claimed that Renault and McLaren threatened to throw the start of the new season into chaos by leading a teams' boycott of the Australian Grand Prix over a money dispute.

Formula 1’s commercial supremo told The Times that the threat was made during discussions over a new Concorde Agreement between Renault team principal Flavio Briatore, McLaren chairman Ron Dennis and Toyota president John Howett and himself last week.

Ecclestone alleged that Briatore and Dennis warned him they wouldn’t fly their respective team’s car out to Melbourne as planned unless he paid them commerical money they claimed was owed to the squads, with the pair also said to have warned that the rest of the FOTA teams were prepared to follow suit.

“Flavio said, ‘we’re not going to put our cars on the plane, we’re not going to Melbourne,’” Ecclestone told the newspaper.

“He — Flavio — started it, aided and abetted by Ron Dennis.”

However, Ecclestone said he averted the possible boycott by calling the pair’s bluff – telling the freight company that transports F1 team’s equipment around the world to pull the plug on the chartered flight for the whole grid.

“I picked up the phone to our people that handle all the freight to ask them to cancel the aeroplanes,” Ecclestone said.

“They were saying, ‘all the FOTA-schmota are not going — nobody’s going to go.’

“So I said what I’d better do is cancel the aircraft obviously. It costs a fortune to charter those things and almost as much to cancel them.”

Ecclestone added that Howett did not join in with the debate, saying: “Poor John was sitting there a bit confused about life in general.”

The Times reports that the teams left without receiving the money and that both Renault’s and McLaren’s cars were transported to Melbourne as normal.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: March 25, 2009 07:27PM
Posted by: Frantic
Stupid Umpa-Lumpa...

Date: March 25, 2009 07:37PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
That story is utterly HILARIOUS because the story is built around a quote by FLAVIO - the most bent man in the pit lane. What evidence is there to suggest that Bernie owes them money? Oh right, just Flavios word.

The money in question was promised to the teams if a new concord agreement was signed. It hasn't been signed, therefore the money hasn't been paid. Flavio, and apparently Ron (who hasn't supplied a quote, but then again, from the complete drivel that Flavio has said, you could argue he hasn't either) threatened to boycott the GP. But turned up anyway. Oh what good threats they were, weren't they?

It's all just BS. Flavio had his weekly hissy fit, and Rons sparkling reputation...wait, sorry that isn't right. Ron drags his name through the mud again by being associated with it.

Blame whatever you like on Bernie, but this one isn't his fault.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 25, 2009 07:43PM
Posted by: tripleM
Well, even though i am not one of B. Ecclestone's fans, he didn't get to where he is now by caving in to every demand.

As for the attitude, give the man a chance to vent after the teams nixed his "champion determining system".

Date: March 25, 2009 07:44PM
Posted by: Fincent
My bad for not knowing enough background information :) blatant manipulation by the media again, and it seems to have worked lol...

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: March 25, 2009 11:15PM
Posted by: tripleM
Manipulation by Ecclestone you mean as his side is the only one that went public

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy