F1 2010 Rules and Budget Cap (hilarious read!)

Posted by DaveEllis 
Re: F1 2010 Rules and Budget Cap (hilarious read!)
Date: March 17, 2009 07:51PM
Posted by: Nickv
The FOTA have already stated to be unhappy with the new rules.

[www.teamsassociation.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 07:53PM by Nickv.
Date: March 17, 2009 07:59PM
Posted by: Guimengo
One interesting thing about the new WDC rule, had it been implemented since the beginning:

-Stirling Moss would have won in 1958 (not Mike Hawthorn)
-Didier Pironi in 1982 (not Keke Rosberg)
-Alain Prost in 1983, 1984 and 1987 (Piquet would have only 1 title), losing 1986 and 1989
-Niki Lauda wouldn't have won 1977 and 1984
-Nigel Mansell would have won 1986 and 1987
-Felipe Massa would have won 2008
-Senna would have won 1989 as well, a nice 1988-1989-1990-1991 dominating streak :)

Edit: to complete the list-

-Jim Clark would have won 1964 and 1967 (Surtees and Hulme won)
-Mario Andretti 1977 (over Lauda)
-Alan Jones in 1979 over Sheckter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 08:01PM by Guimengo.
Date: March 17, 2009 08:07PM
Posted by: Shinnbob
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Outsource manufacturing to 3rd world countries and
> take advantage of the ever changing exchange
> ration by using local currency!

Yay for globalisation!

And of course the FOTA won;t be happy, its a ridiculous target for the main majority of the teams.

Date: March 17, 2009 08:31PM
Posted by: brunoboi
Surely this will just increase the budgets if anything? Many teams will not want to go anywhere near £30mil as it would mean they will be uncompetitive, therefore in order to ensure there cars are more copeitive they will have to spend as much money as possible exploiting the strict rules so as to not be caught be the teams on miniscule budgets but with no technical restrictions.

Breakaway series anyone?

Date: March 17, 2009 08:41PM
Posted by: n00binio
> Breakaway series anyone?

exactly what i thought, too

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: March 17, 2009 09:45PM
Posted by: gav
brunoboi Wrote:
> Surely this will just increase the budgets if
> anything? Many teams will not want to go anywhere
> near £30mil as it would mean they will be
> uncompetitive, therefore in order to ensure there
> cars are more copeitive they will have to spend as
> much money as possible exploiting the strict rules
> so as to not be caught be the teams on miniscule
> budgets but with no technical restrictions.

I'm sure the teams will just pick whichever method they calculate will ultimately be the fastest route.

I don't really a see a problem myself. It may be laughable, but it's not going to detract from the sport in any way if teams don't take up the option - they should all be trying 100% as it is and I don't why that will change now.

If this was announced in 2008, Honda might not have quit, and while in retrospect many are happy that they did, we still came awfully close to having a field smaller than at a community go-kart track, with the potential for even less. Even if this doesn't entice new teams into F1, it's a bit of an insurance policy to help protect those in it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 09:47PM by gav.
Date: March 17, 2009 11:12PM
Posted by: chet
Exactly my veiws Gav also.

Though 30mil is laughable in all fairness... and the idea of, 'your engine isnt powerful enough develop it some more for free' type attitude from the FIA seems abit odd.

I want Max out, now!!!!

I want F1 to be run by the teams, by FOTA. At times the teams have all been like little kids, but overal the decisions made have been well thought out and properly analysed. More than what could be said for the FIA.

Heres a public quiz, do it, tell us what you want in F1 and we will do the complete opposite (Y)!!!!

Max is a complete waste of time, and a complete tw*t! It is my opinion that he is now just trying to ruin F1 for the fans after the joke he made about himself with the whole Nazi-sex scandal. Max you complete joke get out of F1! Hell, id even let Bruno run it! Or worse Gui!!!!!! lol

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 17, 2009 11:56PM
Posted by: tripleM
yes, because a point for the fastest pit stop and shorter races are so much better thought out

Date: March 18, 2009 12:07AM
Posted by: Covfan
At least they have been thought about and not just random lunacy ideas Bernie has managed to concoct.
Date: March 18, 2009 12:52AM
Posted by: madotter
I really fear that come 2011, Formula One will be a memory.
Date: March 18, 2009 12:59AM
Posted by: Frantic
I hope not :(

We have to go back to late 60s to see things like todays, British teams struggled to run, and there were 15 cars... Even in the old Nurburgring they mixed F1 cars with F2 to have more grid... Can you imagine a grid with 20 F1 Cars and 5 or 6 GP2 in some race?

LOL 30 millions I almost piss myself. Really the FIA seems to be run by a bunch of retarded cavemens.
Date: March 18, 2009 12:03PM
Posted by: The Lopper
The great thing is, nobody is going to take up this option anyway. Nobody of consequence anyway. It's impossible to do it. 30 million is really not workable.

I wonder how they would ensure that 30 million was actually the total budget though? If I was Richard Branson, I'd be having a gooks at these new rules, since he was making comments about entering F1 a few weeks back. You mightn't be able to pay Kimi 50 mil out of a 30 mil budget, but you can sponsor him 50 mil through Virgin.
Date: March 18, 2009 06:08PM
Posted by: marwood82
The Lopper Wrote:
> The great thing is, nobody is going to take up
> this option anyway. Nobody of consequence anyway.
> It's impossible to do it. 30 million is really not
> workable.
>

i imagine that that is the whole point. you kind of get the impression that max has lost patience with the FOTA and believes that(rightly or wrongly) left on their own, they will sit there and talk endlessly about the need for cost-cutting without actually coming up with any concrete and meaningful solutions.

this proposal is just a starting point. and one that is so waaay over the top that the FOTA have got no choice but to come and talk to him to push it back to something more workable. which i reckon is exactly what he wants.

so i wouldn't worry just yet.

if this is still the only plan on the table come the summer, then i'd start to worry.
Date: March 19, 2009 01:29PM
Posted by: sasjag
but FOTA put forward a proposal of 50% of current budgets and a new points system, and they just ignored them

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: March 19, 2009 04:32PM
What I hate so much is that the FIA forced the teams to cooperate. They forced the teams to come up with a pack of new regulations to improve the racing. The teams FINALLY agreed on something. And then the FIA says 'oh, thank you very much for your new rules, but we'll still do what we want'.
Date: March 19, 2009 05:17PM
Posted by: marwood82
Nickv Wrote:
> What I hate so much is that the FIA forced the
> teams to cooperate. They forced the teams to come
> up with a pack of new regulations to improve the
> racing. The teams FINALLY agreed on something. And
> then the FIA says 'oh, thank you very much for
> your new rules, but we'll still do what we want'.

i think its probably more like, they didn't feel they went far enough.

don't get me wrong i think whoever came up with these new ones is clearly madder than mad mike from madcastle.

but i still think the game FIA is playing is something along the lines of,

"we don't like what you've come up with, therefore we're going to get a load of changes we know you'll hate approved by the WMSC. This now means there's a fixed deadline to get this sorted. So you're going to have to come and sit down with us and negotiate a compromise quickly otherwise those rules that you all hate will stand"

30 million is clearly unworkable, however the teams are only going to negotiate upwards, so they start it stupidly low so when a deal is finaly reached its still a significant reduction in costs.

this is going to roll on for a few more months yet.
Date: March 19, 2009 06:17PM
Posted by: Team CLR
Forget about the results of races, the betting companies should instead start pools on the FIA's next rule change ideas!

Date: March 19, 2009 06:48PM
I know how the FIA works. Instead they could also provide a few guidelines and that the teams themselves can fill in how to reach them. E.g. the FIA says that the costs have to be reduced by 50% and then the teams come up with a solution for that.
Date: March 19, 2009 07:30PM
Posted by: gav
marwood82 Wrote:
> 30 million is clearly unworkable

30 million is very workable - it just won't get you a front running car unless everything you do comes off perfectly.

If it gives Williams or someone the chance of staying in F1 for another year or so while we ride the economic problems or whatever challenges might be around the corner, then it's a good thing. It would probably work out cheaper than sitting out a year and then returning.

As an alternative means of getting a car towards the front... just like the rest of you, I can't see it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy