BBC confirms details of F1 coverage

Posted by marwood82 
Re: BBC confirms details of F1 coverage
Date: March 30, 2009 12:32AM
Posted by: Imran
My opinion of the team.

Jake Humphrey - Surprise of the show. I wasn't expecting too much from him mainly because the last time I saw him on tv he was presenting sportsround on CBBC, but I felt he did a solid job as anchor. He is obviously either a big fan or has done his research and therefore did not ask retarded questions like Steve Ryder would put to Mark Blundell. The only areas where I feel he could improve are a) controlling EJ (sometimes he goes on and on making us miss what DC/MB wanted to say!) and b)Improve his posture (minor point but I noticed it!)

Eddie Jordan - Displayed a lot of strong opinions (sometimes just for the sake of argument I felt). Was refreshing to have him around though. I admire his courage in asking difficult questions but I feel sometimes he does talk too much and doesn't let DC speak enough! This was especially apparent in the branson interview and also in the forum where DC addressed a question to MB only for EJ to answer.

David Coulthard Provided a great insight into modern F1 cars. Maybe a little bit bound by his contract with Red bull in giving some of his opinions (e.g. on Vettel) but a thousand times better than Blundell ever was. I am sure he will improve as he has more time in front of the camera.

Brundle As good as ever. Particularly like the way he hasn't let the level of recognition he has received get to his head. He still seems more clued up on the rules of the sport than any of the current crop of drivers and this shows the level of commitment he has to research and improve his commentary.

Legard Decent start, while he does seem to lack some of technical knowledge that James allen had built up from his time in pit lane he was obviously far less annoying. I did find that he didnt really get me excited about the racing through his commentary but this may just be because I am getting older!

Kravitz Did his usual solid job. I have been a big fan of Ted's fora while. especially the detailed pieces he used to write for the ITV website. Looks like this year his contacts in the Honda/Brawn garage will actually provide us with some info which is relevant to the championship!

Mckenzie Did an ok job. I did feel her questions were very tame and scripted but I guess the drivers do not really respond well to a grilling after stepping out of the car.

Also can someone please explain where the discussion on CBBC coverage is leading? are we berating the BBC for it?? surely it doesn't affect the enjoyment of the show as you don't need to listen to it if you don't want to!

On a slightly off topic note... quote of the day has to come from James Allen's verdict of the race on the itv-f1 website..."So superior was the Brawn car that Button could afford to stroke it today"

Post edited to correct misspelling of Jake's name

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2009 12:16PM by Imran.
Date: March 30, 2009 07:48PM
Posted by: Muks_C
the CBBC discussion is just informative for those who may not know how many commentary options there were. it's in no way a criticism, more praising the BBC for catering for all audiences. you could listen to either of the 2 adult version of the commentary, the CBBC version, or even switch it off and just listen to the cars and ambient noise.

and his name is Jake Humphrey, not Humphries/Humphreys, just noticed many people mis-naming him.

and yeah i agree, EJ did go on too long many times through the weekend, you could see Jake wanting to step in but it would look rude of him to cut EJ off while he was still talking, even though that is what most of us wanted.

maybe EJ will be briefed for the coming races to be more quick and concise and not go on and on.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 30, 2009 08:26PM
Posted by: The Lopper
He did do a lot of talking but there was only one time that i felt like shooting him and that was when he started going on about cursing. At least there was arguing among the pundits and that's always good!
Date: March 30, 2009 08:45PM
in the forum it's fair enough for him to give longer answers/opinions, but during say the qually buildup, he needs to be a lot shorter as there are lots of other interviews and features to fit in, all set to tight time constraints so he can't just go on as long as he wants.

Date: March 31, 2009 01:38PM
Posted by: SexySam182
Dont know if anyone has read this but I thought it was a rather interesting insight into producing the pre and post race shows. [www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: March 31, 2009 08:44PM
just in case people haven't seen it, on freeview 301 (might be 302, can't remember) is a short feature with Murray Walker giving his opinions on the Aus GP. it only lasts about 4 mins but he just talks about what happened. it's on a constant loop so you should still be able to catch it.

will read that article SexySam.

Date: March 31, 2009 09:24PM
Posted by: Monza972
When's the Sepang best races thing on?

Also, did anyone use the onboards and all the other features for this race using the red button?
Date: April 01, 2009 02:54AM
Posted by: matt3454
Monza972 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When's the Sepang best races thing on?
>
> Also, did anyone use the onboards and all the
> other features for this race using the red button?

Yeah I had BBC1 on my tv, then the onboard streaming on my laptop along with the f1 live timing. Only problem is that the stream was 1-2 secs behind the tv, so whenever anything happened you saw it on tv first. They are probably in sync on the red button though.

Date: April 01, 2009 06:33AM
Murray Walker anouncing the Vettel-Kubica crash is awesome, even though you know whats about to happen, you still get excited! :)
Date: April 01, 2009 01:15PM
Classic Malaysian GPs on red button now...we've got 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2008. No 2001 :(

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 01:41PM by The Lopper.
Date: April 01, 2009 02:10PM
Posted by: MrMan
I had to watch the race online on Sunday, for some reason there was no TV signal, damn you Virgin. Anyway, I would never have even considered watching F1 online last year with ITV. Every time I tried, it was far too stuttery, but the BBC's was seamless. It stopped once or twice but that was it.

I've been impressed with the Beeb's coverage of it all so far, they're really making an effort. I like Jake Humphrey, really enthusiastic and does seem to have swotted up on F1. He's done a good job when presenting the Olympics and the World Cup previously.

Its nice to see DC around, good to have his knowledge. I can see EJ getting on my nerves quickly though. He's just voicing his opinions for a reaction, although I suppose it does make for some nice debates with DC.

Date: April 01, 2009 09:18PM
yeah missing the '01 Sepang race, was better than the '06, '07 and '08 races.

and note Murray's pronunciation of Kubica, as "Ku-Bi-cha".

Date: April 01, 2009 10:40PM
Posted by: Peat
Did anyone get to try the red button during the race in Oz? Was it any good?

Date: April 01, 2009 10:45PM
not really. one option was to watch the main picture with a small onboard camera permanently on-screen, but you couldn't choose which driver you were onboard with, or the other choice was to have that same onboard feed as the main large picture with the normal view in a small window.

i preferred to just watch the proper feed full-screen rather than have the 2 windows, for which you could choose from the different commentary options (as discussed on the previous page).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 10:48PM by Muks_C.
Date: April 02, 2009 03:09PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
finally got to watch the highlights of past Australian GPs on BBC. its great to look back at these races!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 03, 2009 12:19PM
Posted by: marwood82
watching the Free practice this morning,

loved ian phillip's little anecdote about Eddie Irvine learning left foot breaking by buying himself a battered up automatic Mercedes taxi and driving the entire length of Ireland in it.
Date: April 03, 2009 01:04PM
Posted by: Fincent
Are the BBC planning to put the practice sessions on the website again like in Aus? Been waiting for "Replay - First Practice" to pop up all morning lol.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: April 03, 2009 02:06PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I'm watching it now - here it is:

[news.bbc.co.uk]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: April 03, 2009 02:25PM
Posted by: gin
flat tyre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm watching it now - here it is:
>
> [news.bbc.co.uk]
> _one/7981020.stm

Ive watched the 1st practice in the morning do they show replay of 2nd practice? where are these links, as I cant even find the link for 1st practice on their website!

Date: April 03, 2009 03:41PM
Posted by: Shinnbob
My analysis so far is much much better than previous BBC coverage, and far better than anything ITV did.

Jordan is annoying so far, needs to learn not to seemingly argue about everything and let DC speak.

Jake i didn't like from his CBBC days nor his olympics coverage. But i agree that he has been suprisingly good.

Only mediocre thing was the pit lane lady, McKenzie? Annoying, sorry, some good questions but some really rubbish stuff, i.e: 'am not sure what that is but i will find out...'. You don't know enough about F1 to work on the coverage, sorry!

Most impressive so far is the coverage of the practice sessions having a decent commentary over the top. Bad however is the lack of F1 news compared to other motorsport sites.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy