BBC confirms details of F1 coverage

Posted by marwood82 
Re: BBC confirms details of F1 coverage
Date: March 28, 2009 11:08AM
Posted by: Damas
I think they did such a good job that I'm still watcing now. Had it on all morning long. Watched Qualy 3 times now :) Bliss after the winter wait!! Think I need some sleep, lol
Date: March 28, 2009 02:24PM
Posted by: gin
Jonathan Legard said that this year the race starts 3 hours later, so that means last year the race was at 2-3am? is that true??

Also, what happend to Murray Walker? This winter i heard something about him commentating for BBC?

Date: March 28, 2009 02:29PM
Posted by: J i m
I think the plan with Murray is to occasionally have him doing some interviews for the BBC website. But not a return to commentary.
Date: March 28, 2009 02:29PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
this year's race (and qualifying) is 5pm local time, last year's was 3:30pm local time, every year before was 2pm local time.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 28, 2009 02:52PM
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this year's race (and qualifying) is 5pm local
> time, last year's was 3:30pm local time, every
> year before was 2pm local time.

hmm strange, as I always remembered the race to be 5 or 6am here in UK..

Date: March 28, 2009 03:04PM
Posted by: The Lopper
No, the Australian GP was always ridiculously early as I remember, 3am/4am. The Malaysian and Japanese GPs used to be on round 5 or 6.
Date: March 28, 2009 03:52PM
Posted by: Shinnbob
Date: March 28, 2009 04:03PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
dont like jake humphries, seems a bit faceless to me, looks awkward, didn't look impressed and was the first to apologise for branson saying "bastard" at 7 in the morning. get a life.

everything else is spot on, awesome coverage.
Date: March 28, 2009 04:30PM
Posted by: Damas
To be fair to him he was more than likely told to make the apology through his ear piece, much like it looked to me that EJ was being told which questions to ask at times
Date: March 28, 2009 04:57PM
oh man...bastard is hardly a swear word. Its, again, political correctness gone mad. Martin Brundle said "bitching" during the qualifying by the way, nobody notice it? ;)

Date: March 28, 2009 05:03PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Run! It's the ghetto monster! ;)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 28, 2009 07:21PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
BBC is held to strict broadcasting regulations. Even more-so than ITV and Ch4 since the beeb are funding by the tax payer. His bosses would have been VERY quick to get a word in his ear to apologies for that, so the BBC could not be pulled up on it later. Jake handled the situation well, didn't make Branson look like an idiot, they had a good laugh about it and they moved on swiftly. That is exactly how the situation should have been handled. If we had had Mark Blundell doing it we probably would have had a retarded conversation which involved Mark asking questions which weren't really questions.

hmm strange, as I always remembered the race to be 5 or 6am here in UK..

You don't remember that AT ALL. Australian GPs have never been like that.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 28, 2009 08:11PM
Posted by: Muks_C
loque Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dont like jake humphries, seems a bit faceless to
> me, looks awkward
, didn't look impressed and was
> the first to apologise for branson saying
> "bastard" at 7 in the morning. get a life.
>
> everything else is spot on, awesome coverage.

are you joking?! i've never seen this guy before, but he seemed comepletely comfortable after the initial nerves in his first couple of links. he looked way more natural than the dullard Steve Ryder did on ITV. of course there are people telling him stuff and telling him what to say/ask in his earpiece, but it did look at times like he was just casually chatting to the other pundits. EJ looked the worse out of all of them, and DC is not used to this kind of work yet so it's understandable he's didn't look natural at first, but he got better as the coverage went on. i did like EJ's opinions on KERS and Button/Schumacher though, showing he isn't bound by a script where he has to praise Button or KERS.

having recorded all 3 practice session and watched them all, i've come to the conclusion that they're boring. as much as i love F1, i'll just stick to the qually and race session from now i think, watched 4 hours of coverage and nothing really happened. or i might record them but just skip through them on fast-forward in case there's an incident of note.

agree with Dave, i'd rather have seen some real cars in the intro sequence from classic moments in F1 history, after all the BBC do have a massive archive to trawl through if they wished to do so. but i guess they did it to counterbalance the old music, showing a new modern side to the coverage by using CGI.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 28, 2009 09:10PM
Posted by: Nemesis78
Well it was much better than I was expecting!

Humphries is probably a F1 fan anyway which helps.
Coulthard looked nervous and a bit afraid to rock the boat too much.
Kravitz same as before. Not a criticism
Leggard. Thought he was fine.
Brundle. Ditto
McKensie. not sure. hardly any coverage and wasn't shown on TV either.

Jordan. I still detest him. I like that he asks difficult questions but it felt to me he was just a little too self absorbed still. Did Brawn even look him in the eye when answering him?

Pre Qualifying build up. OK. The Lewis interview at McLaren was defiently in HD though. And so long as they don't devote 5-8 mins to him every race they will be fine. Martins man boobs were awful btw!

I also liked that they didn't dumb it down too much. They knew that F1 fans would have been watching last year so didn't need to explain all the rules again.

8/10 so far.
Date: March 28, 2009 09:14PM
Posted by: DaveEllis

Coulthard looked nervous and a bit afraid to rock the boat too much.

Really, lol? Him and EJ were pretty tough, as was his questioning of Brawn. He looked nervous, but certainly wasn't afraid to throw in some harsh opinions.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 28, 2009 09:17PM
Posted by: chet
I reckon Eddie is gonna be a controversial character this year... Could be funny to watch. He seemed really eager to throw an akward one in at every opportunity lol!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 28, 2009 10:02PM
Posted by: marwood82
To be fair. Jordan is a pundit so his job is to be opinionated and instigate a debate. I thought both he and dc did that very well. Even if you think they're talking rubbish, if they're asking questions and getting a reaction or expressing an opinion you don't agree with then they're doing their job. I thought both looked a little nervous but the initial banta between them suggests its a partnership that is going to work.
Date: March 28, 2009 11:30PM
Coulthard basically said that M.Schumacher is no better than any othe driver and that he won his championships due to being in the best cars. Oh reaaaaallly David? like you won your numerous championships in a Williams and Maclaren?
He doesnt have a clue that he was actually a second class driver all along; you know, one of those that will score points often and get a few wins but thats as high as he will go eg. Trulli, Fisichella, Coulthard, Barichello, Frenzen etc...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2009 12:58AM by gin.
Date: March 28, 2009 11:58PM
Posted by: brunoboi
Anyone else notvie the power struggle between Brundle and Legard, both were trying to lead commentary and so kept talking over each other - How annoying! Other than that, Legard is doing a far better job than I expected, he was really trying to make things exciting which is great.

I'm not so keen on EJ, he seemed a bit too opinionated for my liking, so we get he likes Rubens but there's no need to keep on about it. DC was overshadowed a wee bit by EJ. That Mckenzie woman in the pitlane didnt really seem to know what to ask when she got hold of Lewis in Q2...

As for Jake, I'm happily surprised. for someone who blatently didn't know a lot about F1 he has done his homework and seemed relatively smooth and inoffensive which is all you can ask.

Date: March 29, 2009 12:42AM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Yeah seemed to be a little bit of tension between EJ and DC... better than just watching Blundell and Ryder though

@gin totally agree with you, soon as he said it I thought Lol DC... look who's talking

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy