BBC confirms details of F1 coverage

Posted by marwood82 
Re: BBC confirms details of F1 coverage
Date: March 09, 2009 01:52PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Anybody else spot within the montage of F1 moments up until Brazil 2008 that they were quite happy to have ITV's coverage with Murray Walker and Martin Brundle, yet when James Allen was commentating, they'd use the BBC 5 Live commentary? ;-)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 09, 2009 03:35PM
Posted by: Fincent
Probably because Murray is also now a part of the BBC :) they only have members of the BBC team in that video afaik. Dont think they would be allowed to use James Allen without ITVs permission?

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: March 09, 2009 08:30PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
After the race we will gather the presentation team around a big monitor and discuss the race.

That could be very good instead of the lousy 10 minutes we got with itv where 8 minutes were a lh love fest and 2 mins telling us where the next race is.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: March 09, 2009 10:20PM
Posted by: Nemesis78
flat tyre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not to mention that my family associated The Chain
> with motorsport loooong before any of them started
> watching F1. When I was a toddler, my parents and
> I used to sing it if I was pretending to race :P
>
> I think it's embedded in british people's minds as
> the motorsport theme, whether you're a fan of it
> or not.

Since when has F1 been about going back to the "good old days" The whole sport is about progression and improvement.

I'm not saying I like ITV's attempts btw.

danm Wrote:
> this would be welcomed back by a lot I think. why
> did it get removed?
>
> if you want a proper shiver tingle, this brings
> back memories of 1992 mansell senna, 93 prost
> schummi, senna and hill all
> fighting....ahhhhhhhhhh
>
>

That's cool. And tbh that "Inspiration" video LS posted is 1000 times better than the Official F1 intro video. I fear in 3 months time we'll be wishing it was back on ITV!!! As the BBC coverage will be so poor!
Date: March 09, 2009 10:24PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I fear in 3 months time we'll be wishing it was back on ITV!!! As the BBC coverage will be so poor!

The Chain
No James Allen
No Ad Breaks
Red Button
Online Streaming

Yeah, I want ITV back. Wait, wat?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 09, 2009 10:29PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
red button may prove to be a bit of an awkward bastard if recording a race onto a dvd?

[en-gb.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2009 10:29PM by iCeMaN pAuL.
Date: March 09, 2009 10:31PM
Can't receord from Red Button (and it hardly works anyway!)
ITV had streaming on their site
I'm not like a sheep so I don't hate James Allen because a certain smelly site (that used to be great then turned shite) say I should.

Ad breaks? Well mixed on those. Understand why people dislike them but it gives me a chance to go pee and know that if anything happens I'll get a replay so won't actually miss anything.

See my earlier comments on the music. F1 is about progression. This is regression.
Date: March 09, 2009 10:33PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Nah mate, this is awesome.
Date: March 09, 2009 10:40PM
ITV had streaming on their site

ITVs streaming was crap. BBC iPlayer and Sports shows are not.

I'm not like a sheep so I don't hate James Allen because a certain smelly site (that used to be great then turned shite) say I should.

We dislike him because he is sh*t. Not because we are "sheep".

Understand why people dislike them but it gives me a chance to go pee

I hate that logic. It is utterly riduclous. Why can't you go pee with no ad break? You'd only miss a minute, where as with an ad break you'd miss a good 15 minutes per race (5x3 minutes). What do you do when there isn't an ad break? Piss on your couch?

See my earlier comments on the music. F1 is about progression. This is regression.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ITV broke it. BBC are fixing it.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 09, 2009 10:55PM
I can take ill informed lectures from someone who has a Nascar in their sig :p

Allen knows the subject backwards. He's biased towards Lewis and Ferrari. At least he's upfront about it. He's passionate about it (could of done without Button Wiiiiinnnnnss though) And his books are excellent. People just don't like him because hes not Murray.

And lets be honest bringing MW back is even more regression than the Chain. He made soo many mistakes in the last few years. he's even older now, you think he'll be better?

Peeing. heres the thing. If I go for a pee with no ad breaks and something happens. I miss it. Until the post race round up. If I go for a pee with an ad break, if WE as viewers miss anything. They ALWAYS show the replay when they come back. Fair enough sometimes they press the advert button at the wrong time. But there have been large chunks of races where nothing has happened for 4-5 laps 3 or 4 times in a single race. I don't actually NEED to see every lap.

i never had a prob with ITVs streaming. I used to watch practice during my lunch break at work. And we had the worlds shittest computers! LOL. Conversely even at home on my decent spec PC, iPlayer doesn't buffer itself fast enough at times.
Date: March 09, 2009 11:21PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Surely you'd take 'regression', as you put it, with much better quality, than 'progression' of a worse quality?

In the end, we watch F1 to enjoy ourselves. The new rules should provide better racing - yes, racing, the whole reason F1 exists - as well as fantastic cars that look like art. Or we could carry on progressing, and turn it into a more boring show than Coronation Street. What would you rather have?

You can say the same thing about Murray Walker, The Chain, the BBC... nostalgia is a significant factor in someone enjoying themselves. Not to mention that they all fit the bill perfectly - quality guaranteed. So why not include it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2009 11:23PM by flat tyre.
Date: March 09, 2009 11:54PM
Posted by: gav
Nemesis78 Wrote:
> Allen knows the subject backwards. He's biased
> towards Lewis and Ferrari. At least he's upfront
> about it. He's passionate about it (could of done
> without Button Wiiiiinnnnnss though) And his books
> are excellent. People just don't like him because
> hes not Murray.

His books are good. People will admit that because they're not completely deluded. His commentary on the other hand is... well as you said yourself in by mentioning the Button win - fake. No-one questions his passions, but while we're on the subject of wee-wees, he doesn't need to force his pissing onto everyone - just a dribble would have done to get his point across.

People liked Murray, but you'll struggle to find anyone who thought he was an excellent commentator. Technically he was poor. But what you got with him was 100% genuine - he had his favourites too, and far worse than Allen - but he didn't try to sugar-coat anything. He wasn't afraid to show passion, but he didn't make it up at opportune moments either. That's why he remains loved.

Though to be honest, your last comment doesn't stand up with me anyway. I like Murray, I've got the autobiography like most here will... but as motorsports commentators I prefer Paul Page and (the almost universal) Ben Edwards.
Date: March 10, 2009 12:51AM
Peeing. heres the thing. If I go for a pee with no ad breaks and something happens. I miss it. Until the post race round up. If I go for a pee with an ad break, if WE as viewers miss anything. They ALWAYS show the replay when they come back. Fair enough sometimes they press the advert button at the wrong time. But there have been large chunks of races where nothing has happened for 4-5 laps 3 or 4 times in a single race. I don't actually NEED to see every lap.

So we all have to miss stuff because you can't go for a piss at the start of the race? Sorry, that is a terrible argument. BTW, the BBC have instant replays. Its an old function. But it works.

Allen knows the subject backwards. He's biased towards Lewis and Ferrari. At least he's upfront about it. He's passionate about it (could of done without Button Wiiiiinnnnnss though) And his books are excellent. People just don't like him because hes not Murray.

Nothing wrong with Allens books. But being a good writer does not make you a good commentator. There is absolutely no link what-so-ever between the two. Allen is a cock. He is a terrible commentator and has been since day 1. Murray Walker has nothing to do with this at all. Ben Edwards is/was fine in the F1 Digital days, and he wasn't Murray.

Stop talking about regression. If you hated that so much you wouldn't even be watching F1 in 2009. An out dated hybrid system, back to basics aerodynamics, a tyre structure that was last run 12 years ago, and V8s? If you really hated regression you would have turned off from F1 long ago and the TV coverage would be the least of your worries. In reality what you are doing is picking and chosing what regression and progression you like and what you don't like and trying to justify it under 1 big generalisation. The BBC is about PROGRESSION, as well as nostalgia and trying to keep the history of the sport a big part of it. The BBCs coverage is currently looking far more advanced and in-depth than ITVs has ever looked at any point in its coverage. How you can call this regression just because they are using the most popular theme tune in motorsports history is beyond me.

i never had a prob with ITVs streaming. I used to watch practice during my lunch break at work. And we had the worlds shittest computers! LOL. Conversely even at home on my decent spec PC, iPlayer doesn't buffer itself fast enough at times.

And you said I was ill-informed? Since when did the PC Specification have anything to do with flash? I am talking about the quality of the stream and how well it does its job. You could have a @#$%& PC and an epic PC, put them on the same connection and you'll get the same result. What you have just told us is your works internet connection is good, and your home connection is sh*t.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2009 12:53AM by DaveEllis.
Date: March 10, 2009 02:41AM
Posted by: The Lopper

And lets be honest bringing MW back is even more regression than the Chain. He made soo many mistakes in the last few years. he's even older now, you think he'll be better?

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I only rarely got to watch Beeb coverage before, (although the national broadcaster coverage here was pretty good actually) and then when they stopped doing it I had to make do with ITV...which was shocking at times to be honest...the Hamilton fanboyism has descended to Bruninho levels in recent years, I understand ITV supporting an British driver, but there is such a British involvement in F1 that focusing on one driver like that was a bit out of proportion. Even the technical focus never seemed quite as good as RTÉ's, despite the resources available to ITV. I've got the Beeb this year in college, and to be honest I can't wait. I'm just hoping the Lewis fanboyism doesn't continue, because it's really putting me off him as a driver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2009 02:48AM by The Lopper.
Date: March 10, 2009 10:56AM
Posted by: marwood82
Hmmm, bbc coverage, regressive

Every session on the track will be broadcast live on the Red Button.
- (and on tv too, not just via the website) itv didn't do this

Choice of three different streams on race day
- itv didn't do this

An additional one-hour, post-race, interactive analysis programme
- itv didn't do this.

Website to have multiple live video streaming, which will mirror the video and audio streams available on the Red Button
- itv didn't do this

website will have an extra high-quality video stream
- itv didn't do this

All Grands Prix will be available for downloading up to seven days after broadcast.
-itv didn't do this

Live text coverage of all race sessions via bbc mobile.
-itv didn't do this

so what exactly is not progressive about BBC's coverage?

oh yeah. they picked a theme tune that they used 20 years ago, that everybody likes?!? silly me, lets start the bring back itv campaign right now.
Date: March 10, 2009 10:06PM
Posted by: Paul Boy
Nemesis78 Wrote:
> I'm not like a sheep so I don't hate James Allen
> because a certain smelly site (that used to be
> great then turned shite) say I should.

I know what you mean, it's all about who the real Jamie Mason is, Stop the cock James Allen, and Ralf schumacher bollocks, not forgetting all the name changes/forum re-sets. I'm out of there for good now. The last straw is when they took the piss out of my sig a few weeks back.

Its such a shame really, i liked it alot, been visiting daily for many years.
Date: March 10, 2009 10:08PM
He meant Sniff Petrol Paul Boy, our site was never good enough to be called anything better than sh*t. But don't worry, we're glad to be rid of you.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2009 10:10PM by DaveEllis.
Date: March 11, 2009 12:42AM
Posted by: matt3454
I really can't wait to wake up at 5am (or whatever time it is) to the BBC coverage and the new season start. Seems like its been an eternity since the previous season ended.

Date: March 11, 2009 08:22AM
It is 7am, apparently. A Twilight race. Not as fun IMO, but the time is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The new season is looking good.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 11, 2009 08:27AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
yes, it will be exciting.

and for those in australia, it also should be a great year for TV broadcasting (for once), with the launch of a new 24 Hour Free-To-Air Sports channel, which will cover all the races and qualifying live with extended intros and wrap-ups, as well as mid-week replays. there will be 22 hours of coverage of the AGP weekend! :)

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy