Honda Team Source confirms Virgin F1 bid

Posted by montoya6k 
Re: Honda Team Source confirms Virgin F1 bid
Date: February 23, 2009 10:33AM
Posted by: marcl
I just wonder what contract Bernie has with the tracks in order for him to offer this amount of money. If he has one that says there will be 20 cars on the grid he is a bit @#$%& which is why he now wants to keep Honda.
Date: February 23, 2009 11:30AM
Posted by: chet
Well, dont want to admit it but I think that's it now...

Perhaps more upsetting for me is the fact that the chance of JB getting another F1 go is about the same as Piquet winning the championship. Nill.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 23, 2009 12:13PM
Posted by: marcl
I do not think they will be on the grid either, it just seems like some people did not want it to happen.
Date: February 23, 2009 12:16PM
Posted by: LS.
Honda seem reluctant to let the team go unless the money is in place, was up for sale at £1 but Honda said that £100M would be needed to secure it and guarentee the whole season, Bernie offered it apparently but was turned down for what ever reason.

Nick Fry and co are trying to get the money together and i think thats what Honda are waiting for.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: February 23, 2009 01:16PM
Posted by: LS.
Honda’s Japanese board has admitted that it is finding the sale of its Formula 1 team “difficult” and is still waiting for a “serious buyer” to come forward and rescue the beleaguered outfit
The comments from the car giant’s chief executive Takeo Fukui deliver a fresh setback to the Brackley team’s hopes of survival, with less than five weeks remaining until the first race of the new season in Australia.
Despite last week’s intense speculation that Richard Branson’s Virgin group was holding talks over a rescue bid, and the possibility of a management buyout already believed to be on the table, Fukui told a press conference in Tokyo on Monday morning that the sale process was not nearing a conclusion.

“There are various offers for the team but we have not seen any serious buyer yet," Fukui is quoted as saying by Reuters.
"We find the sale process difficult."

Fukui’s statement comes following a weekend in which further light has been shed on the state of both Virgin's and the existing management team's plans.
On Saturday, Branson admitted that he would be interested in taking his Virgin brand into Formula 1 but that he could only commit if the sport became both cheaper and greener.
As part of a round of interviews with media organisations he told Sky News that “there are aspects that need to be tackled” before he would consider getting involved.
Then on Sunday F1 ring-master Bernie Ecclestone revealed to the News of the World that he offered to help Honda Racing CEO Nick Fry and team principal Ross Brawn with their management buyout, but the pair rejected his offer to inject £100 million into the project.

"I tried to help with the management buy-out," Ecclestone told the newspaper.
"They should have taken what I offered.

"It was a very good offer for everybody concerned.
"It gave them complete protection but they wanted to do things on their own."

He added that he didn’t know what the outcome would be of the Honda sale and that it was now “up to them to make up their bloody minds."
The existing Honda management team’s proposal includes a plan to run with a Mercedes-powered chassis, and most likely Jenson Button and Bruno Senna as drivers.

Meanwhile, Honda Japan also confirmed on Monday that current president and CEO Fukui will step down from his role in June to be replaced by Takanobu Ito

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2009 01:21PM by LS..
Date: February 24, 2009 01:17AM
[www.f1network.net]

Yet another rumour, well article, hopefully if true we will know tomorrow...

Date: February 24, 2009 12:02PM
Posted by: vesuvius
According to finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat Honda is now sold to Ross Brawn and the will test first time on track 5.3.2009. The release of the sold team should be announced today or tomorrow.Nick Fry has left the team. Jenson Button will continue and other driver will be either Rubens Barrichello or Bruno Senna but that depends how much they can test before the season starts.

From Turun Sanomat:

Honda's team will be sold to Brawn. The making of the deal was in the final stages on monday evening. The yet unnamed new team's first test will be driven on the 5th of March, either at Silverstone or Snetterton. Honda CEO Takeo Fukui's commentens on monday confirmed that the deal will be made with the former management.

Nick Fry will leave the team and move to work in a completely different sport. Brawn will have the power to shape the team as he sees fit with the money Honda has gotten from the FOM tv and advertising deals.

Brawn will cut down the the team's personel dramatically. From the 770 people (personel at the start of December) to 350. Button will continue at the team but his salary will be cut in half. Button won't be getting any compensations from Honda due to his old contract tangles with Williams.

Brawn will be responsible for coordinating the merging of the Brackley built car and Mercedes engine into a working racing unit.

[www.turunsanomat.fi]:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2009 12:10PM by vesuvius.
Date: February 24, 2009 12:23PM
Posted by: mika19b
If it's true then it's good for F1 but I feel sorry for such an amount of people losing their job's.

Although im sure other team's will take some of them on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2009 12:23PM by mika19b.
Date: February 25, 2009 02:43PM
Posted by: J i m
How can other teams take them on when most of the teams are also having to downsize?
Date: February 25, 2009 04:19PM
Posted by: mika19b
Good point. Shame for all them people :/

[www.autosport.com]

Honda getting ready to test 2009 car.

We will see.
Date: February 25, 2009 04:31PM
I do do do do do hope for the Barcelona test at least! Who will be bottom of sheets, (ex)Honda or Force India lol?

Date: February 25, 2009 04:32PM
Posted by: Frantic
Will have they the race livery ready or will they have only a black car??

and they are going to continue with they "Earth friendly car"??

Date: February 25, 2009 04:58PM
Posted by: gav
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (ex)Honda or Force India lol?

Force India. While work at Honda has obviously continued to some degree, they must have surely had to scale back things a lot, and of course all the careful work they'd already done regarding component weight distribution will likely have been thrown out of the window the moment Honda withdrew. FI haven't had much time to prepare either, but if the FI/Merc deal had been speculated for a month or 2 prior to the announcement, then they've still had that time, and the time since to rework any designs they'd done.
Date: February 25, 2009 06:46PM
Posted by: marwood82
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > (ex)Honda or Force India lol?
>
> Force India. While work at Honda has obviously
> continued to some degree, they must have surely
> had to scale back things a lot,

100% true. its not just Honda that the cutbacks and layoffs affect.

a mate of mine works for a firm that supplies electrical systems/components for motorsport.

their 2 biggest customers? Honda F1, and the Subaru Rally team.

He went on a 3 day week at christmas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2009 06:46PM by marwood82.
Date: February 26, 2009 06:49PM
Posted by: alexf1man
[www.itv-f1.com] this means honda could be in F1 this year :D:D:D
Date: February 26, 2009 10:07PM
Posted by: Stan
Date: February 26, 2009 10:14PM
I am guessing that says its Rubens and Button for 09?

It would be the sensible thing to do imo. After the great season Rubens had it would be very wrong to let him go. Perhaps though it would be even worse to let Senna drive with very limited mileage. They say it doenst take long to get used to an F1 car these days, Lewis is an example, championship contender in year 1. But this year in particular Honda need good, solid engineering feedback, something though quite intelligant Senna would lack compared to Rubens.

As much as id like a Senna-Button lineup for the awesomeness and I guess financial boost for the team I do fully believe Rubens is the right choice and really the only choice for the team at this stage. Rubens is on the back of quite an impressive season, you could tell straight off he was driving for his career, again to use this example as I did with Bourdais, but if Piquet has got another year, it would be a crime to not let Rubens drive what was the RA109!

Date: February 26, 2009 10:20PM
Posted by: danm
what will the new team be called?

another RBR? Ross Brawn Racing? :P

and as for sponsors...?

Isn't Schummi jobless from Ferrari now? I do wonder if he will join Brawn and attract much needed sponsors by putting his name to something!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: February 26, 2009 10:35PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I heard Dan Mills will be heading the buyout and will work with Ross "Bobby" Brawn. Danmoss Racing F1, Danny Ross, DOS, a lot of possible acronyms ;).

Edit: If Schumi joins as a part-owner we could be looking at MS DOS F1 ! One wonders if it will run super fast and crash into T1 like GP2 on WinXP, or just keep breaking down like unresponsive apps :P.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2009 10:36PM by Guimengo.
Date: February 26, 2009 10:51PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Translated the web page from Stan into (dodgy) english:
[66.196.80.202]

It's saying that Button and Barrichello will be on the grid in Melbourne, making 10 teams present. Senna didn't get a race seat because of the risk of putting a rookie in that role at this time. The team will test at Barcelona after a shakedown at Silverstone.

As for the team name, why not just call it "Brawn" ;) Another cheesy name after Force India!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy