Honda Team Source confirms Virgin F1 bid

Posted by montoya6k 
Honda Team Source confirms Virgin F1 bid
Date: February 18, 2009 10:56AM
Posted by: montoya6k
A source close to the Brackley-based Formula One team has confirmed that Virgin Group is the late bidder hoping to buy the beleaguered outfit.

It has been rumoured that Virgin, headed by Sir Richard Branson, was the unnamed third party who stepped in and scuppered the progress of the Nick Fry and Ross Brawn-led management buyout.

"They have made a bid to purchase the team," the source, requesting to remain unidentified, was quoted as telling Reuters.

An official Honda spokeswoman declined to comment, and a spokeswoman for Virgin Group said the company is "constantly named in speculation and rumour."

Virgin has been involved with F1 before; with the Virgin Mobile brand at the Jordan team in 2002, while the Japanese Takuma Sato was driving. Virgin Atlantic Japan still sponsors Sato, who narrowly missed out on a Toro Rosso seat for 2009.

32-year-old Sato's manager Andrew Gilbert Scott said earlier this month that he is "looking ahead for the next opportunity" for his client to rejoin F1.

Branson is also believed to be friends with Adrian Reynard, a co-founder of Honda's former BAR guise.

The team's Brackley headquarters is even located at Reynard Park, but the Reuters source did not know if the 51-year-old Briton is involved with the Virgin bid.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

@topic
Oh men,hope their livery is like their airliner current livery in virgin atlantic.so if boeing pilots received $400k a month,i think he will give a fine salary aswell to his drivers hahaha!

2 Hot 2 Handle.

MS-

KR -

"You must always pick the worst car and the worst team on the grid, to be the best."
—Fangio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2009 10:58AM by montoya6k.
Re: Honda Team Source confirms Virgin F1 bid
Date: February 18, 2009 11:46AM
Posted by: gav
What was wrong with the existing topic?

montoya6k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @topic
> Oh men,hope their livery is like their airliner
> current livery in virgin atlantic.so if boeing
> pilots received $400k a month,i think he will give
> a fine salary aswell to his drivers hahaha!
>
> [www.airways.cz]
> ic_340.jpg

It's just Super Aguri with different letters. :P

If this is true (I'm still very, very doubtful there's even a shred of truth in this), how long before the first Senna virgin jokes pop up? It's a minefield of innuendo. :D
Date: February 18, 2009 12:17PM
Posted by: marcl
It does look like this is true, I find it strange and not strange at the same time.

Virgin is a world known brand and F1 will provide good advertising for it.

Still not sure why they would pick Bruno though I think they will go for 2 british drivers or even have Pedro if they are using Merc engines.
Date: February 18, 2009 01:12PM
Posted by: chet
delete please.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2009 01:13PM by chet.
Date: February 18, 2009 01:12PM
I do doubt the truth in well any apparent bidder now!

But Virgin was the first company I thought of who could buy them and run them with the bags of cash they have, even in this current climate. I always thought F1 would be a logical step for Branson too. I do hope this is true

Date: February 18, 2009 01:29PM
marcl Wrote:
> It does look like this is true, I find it strange
> and not strange at the same time.

The problem is, there only appears to be one source, and it's not an official one at that. It could be a some cleaner who'd seen Ross with a can of Virgin Cola for all we know. ;)

Still, the previous story from Honda was only based on rumours and unofficial sources and it turned out to be true, so who knows.

I don't know. It's not like he needs to promote the brand in the UK, and if he did need the odd reminder to people that Virgin were around every now and then, then I'm sure there are more economical ways than spending £50m+ per year. If Virgin are going more global then it makes more sense.
Date: February 18, 2009 01:30PM
Posted by: superchargednut
Sato and Button again? :P

Date: February 18, 2009 01:32PM
LOL, just as I post expecting it to be a load of bollocks... Honda have apparently confirmed it:

Honda has confirmed Richard Branson's Virgin Group have made a bid to purchase its Formula One team.

The Japanese carmaker hopes a deal can be made in time for the start of the 2009 season in Australia on 29 March.

It is thought the team is up for sale for £1 - although any buyer would need to find a budget in the region of £40m to run the outfit for the new campaign.

"We are negotiating with several buyers and one of these parties is the Virgin Group," a Honda spokesman stated.

Source and more: BBC Sport | Virgin make bid to buy Honda F1

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2009 01:32PM by gav.
Date: February 18, 2009 01:38PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I could see this team becoming quite popular, ala Red Bull. I'm pretty certain it would be one more decent livery to add to the grid, too, which we're desperately lacking in. My first thought was red and black.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: February 18, 2009 01:49PM
Posted by: horror donkey
stolen from another forum

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Virgin Atlantic Japan have sponsored driver Takuma Sato for many years.

Taku's back in the game!!
Date: February 18, 2009 05:29PM
BBC is a very credible source, how serious these talks are though is yet to be seen. Hopefully very serious.

Date: February 18, 2009 05:37PM
Posted by: marcl
If they get the team will be interesting to see how they paint it, could be very mclaren looking.
Date: February 18, 2009 05:40PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Doesn't mean anything to me, but hopefully some of you could shed some light on it - apparently, people have spotted Honda lorries making their way to Dover. And the latest rumour is that Richard Branson and David Richards (or Prodrive) will work together.

You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: February 18, 2009 06:01PM
Posted by: Bruninho
At the end of the day its Ecclestone who will give the last word. He wants Bruno Senna in F1, because his name is good PR for F1. So ZERO chances of another driver partnering Jenson that isnt called Bruno Senna :)

And his surname is much more valuable than Sato or De La Rosa, McLaren wouldnt let their best test driver go for it, and the japanese F1 fans love anything that is Senna related. If you go to Hondas hometown in japan, the place is full of Senna references, posters, images, etc... hes just much better than Sato to attract japanese fans, much better marketing :)

In todays world, you must be an idiot to ignore the $$ and the PR hype that someone with a famous surname in F1 can do...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2009 06:02PM by Bruninho.
Date: February 18, 2009 06:03PM
Posted by: tripleM
They are selling off the assets ;-)

Date: February 18, 2009 06:23PM
Haha, my initial thoughts but its not the deadline yet ;-)!

Date: February 18, 2009 06:56PM
Posted by: EC83
Well this should sort their financial difficulties anyway. A business empire the size of Virgin will surely be able to afford to buy/run an F1 team.

We've had Virgin just-about-everything-else; I honestly never thought I'd see Virgin F1s though. Will Tesco be buying a team next? :P

Date: February 18, 2009 08:03PM
Posted by: Fincent
marcl Wrote:
> If they get the team will be interesting to see
> how they paint it, could be very mclaren looking.

If it's anything like what a friend used to run in my old fantasy series, we're in for something good!

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: February 18, 2009 09:51PM
Posted by: danm
latest news on pitpass points to speculation dave richards and richard branson will be putting a bid together.

now that would actually be fantastic!

if anyone could make a financial success of of f1 it would be branson, and richards' managerial skills would be envious.

and they also have ross brawn.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: February 18, 2009 10:38PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I guess putting Richards there kills any thought of a Villeneuve re-comeback ;)
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy