> But Willis produced the BAR 006, which got the
> team to 2nd place, beating the likes of Renault,
> McLaren, Williams and Toyota who maybe except
> Williams, had much bigger budgets! and also a
> Willis car got Honda their first win. Willis
> didn't have time to make the most of Honda's money
> though because Nakamoto decided to take over and
> he was forced out, so pretty much a month after
> Honda bought them out, Willis was gone.

I am thankful you have said BAR beat Mclaren and Williams rather than Mclaren adn Williams lost the plot, which most seem to say!

My point was Honda's managment style did not seem to allow Willis to use the resources fully, which is what I felt happened with Mike at Toyota, then when he tried to change things he was pushed away.

To say Willis never had time is debatable. He produced a small update to the 2002 car which apparently gave them 0.5 of a second. He worked late on the 2003 car and produced essentially a Williams replica. A very solid car. 2004 was his first full car and it was perfect, had it not been for Ferrari's and Bridgestones dominance! Another year or two should probably have been given, but I dont think he had the freedom he needed at Honda (not BAR).

Quite interesting really. If I blame Mike for a bad car, people say he didn't design it, he was the manager. And now we've moved onto it is bad management. Which again comes straight back to Mike.

I dont quite follow you here. My point was it seemed like Toyota did not give him the freedom he needed and he wanted change but was denied it. In a similar way to Willis at Honda...

Gui, i think the major undercuts started to come with the GA and its different radiator posistions (though not sure!)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: Say hello to USF1?
Date: February 06, 2009 01:33AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I dont quite follow you here.

My point is I am saying Mike is a bad designer, and several people have then said "Well he isn't a designer, he is a manager". And now people are saying the management was what caused the problems, not Mike...but Mike IS management?

No matter how people want to look at it, and no matter how people want to classify him, at the end of the day he has produced 1 average car in his entire career in F1, and with the biggest budget in F1 history.

I am thankful you have said BAR beat Mclaren and Williams rather than Mclaren adn Williams lost the plot, which most seem to say!

It was both. You only need to look at the relative positions to the championship. In 2003 McLaren, Williams and Ferrari fought for the championship. In 2004, Williams and McLaren weren't even close to fighting for the title. That, is losing the plot. There is no way you can spin that. Just because BAR improved, doesn't mean that Williams and McLarens drop in performance had no play in it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 06, 2009 01:43AM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To say Willis never had time is debatable. He
> produced a small update to the 2002 car which
> apparently gave them 0.5 of a second. He worked
> late on the 2003 car and produced essentially a
> Williams replica. A very solid car. 2004 was his
> first full car and it was perfect, had it not been
> for Ferrari's and Bridgestones dominance! Another
> year or two should probably have been given, but I
> dont think he had the freedom he needed at Honda
> (not BAR).

Oh of course he had plenty of time at BAR, and did well with the time, but what I mean is he didn't have time with Honda's huge resources, as when Honda bought the team he was out a month later :(

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: February 06, 2009 11:14AM
Posted by: chet
Ah sorry Ian, yes agreed. It seemed Honda wanted results NOW, and wanted them 'this' way and for 'this' to be done.

My point is I am saying Mike is a bad designer, and several people have then said "Well he isn't a designer, he is a manager". And now people are saying the management was what caused the problems, not Mike...but Mike IS management?

Ohh.

But it appeared Renault gave him the freedom to change things around, and toyota didnt, then when he wanted to they shoved him away.

He is an over-rated, over-paid man but imo and the point of my original post is that he does have enough knowledge and experience to get the job done to make a solid car for a debut team, and unlike toyota imo the american attitude is if they've got someone who knows what hes doing then let him get on with it and give him what he needs... Not quite sure if that makes sence lol!

Date: February 06, 2009 03:19PM
Posted by: gin
lol Ive read on F1live Gascoynes quote saying that if the team Force India for unfair dismissal..lol..careful what you say Mike..

Date: February 06, 2009 03:40PM
btw.
just remembered, after being reminded by readin the EJ thread at Atlas.

One of the things ive always though contributed to Jordans downfall ( and the Firman crash at Hungary ) is the manufacturing of the Jordan cars.

On Atlas I read that in Damons book, he said they (Jordan) got other companies to make their components where as Arrows made theirs in house...

It's common sence to know which is better and which will be more effective. Cost in the issue though.

Design of anything requires specific tolerances, if you make everything in house, then those tolerances will be the same. Though when you start to recieve goods outside the company you start to parts of different tolerances... Ive always believed that in this age of F1 where detail is more than key ( despite me still believing detail is useless unless you have an Alonso ) I think Jordan started to lose out big time on the little things... And when I saw Firmans rear wing failure, the first thing i thought of was this... parts fitting to other parts made outside.

Date: February 07, 2009 01:25PM
Sorry to bump, but to go back on my AJ comments..
I just seen his 500 practise times...!!!

Date: February 07, 2009 03:59PM
Bud Shootout practice. 500 practice isn't till next week. Its just drafting speeds, doesn't mean much. Can have the fastest car on the track, doesn't mean much if you can't work the draft.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2009 04:00PM by DaveEllis.
Date: February 07, 2009 04:35PM
Ah! It just popped up on Autosport so i thought id have a look.

Why isn't Jaun shown? Is he not racing the daytona 500?

Date: February 07, 2009 04:55PM
This isn't Daytona 500 practice, it is Bud Shootout Practice. A non-championship race.

Bud Shootout Grid
Daytona 500 entry list

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 07, 2009 05:21PM
Ah I see, thanks!

Date: February 13, 2009 06:14AM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
At least it's not possible to say she wouldn't add anything to this sport,perhaps in another areas. ;)

[globoesporte.globo.com]
Date: February 13, 2009 09:01AM
Rodrigo007 Wrote:
> At least it's not possible to say she wouldn't add
> anything to this sport,perhaps in another areas.
> ;)
>
> [globoesporte.globo.com]
> 67954-9645,00.html#fotogaleria=4

I wish people would stop drooling over airbrushed images. Her tattoos have even been air brushed out ffs!

She is quite good looking at times, but shes also a complete bitch. So I'd rather not.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 13, 2009 10:33AM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
Roflmao! :D

It reminds me an episode, I think it was last year, she wanted to go apeshit mode at someone in the middle of the race after a crash or stuff like that, it was so great stuff watching it live lol.
Date: February 13, 2009 01:05PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
That was the Indy 500, and she was quite right to; Briscoe's a tw*t at the best of times, Danica wasn't much better though TBH.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: February 13, 2009 04:32PM
Posted by: mika19b
DaveEllis Wrote:
> But shes also a complete bitch. So I'd rather not.

Lmao true ;)
Date: February 13, 2009 05:24PM
Posted by: EC83
mika19b Wrote:
> DaveEllis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > But shes also a complete bitch. So I'd rather
> not.
>
> Lmao true ;)

Pretty ditzy too, judging by the video outtakes from this year's Indycar Media Day. Hollywood actress meets racing driver :P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy