Wtf? well, at least we know what donington are doing about the lack of car parking space!

Posted by marwood82 
Living in Nottingham, personal experience (of Nottingham only rather than the rest of the area around it unforunately) says you could arrive at the station - which is fairly large - and walk a short distance to Broadmarsh bus station which will in my mind undoubtably have buses going to Donnington that weekend. Donnington is basically smack in the middle between Nottingham, Derby, Burton-upon-Trent and Loughborough, so it may allow people to by spread out when it comes to which train station they could come from at least. That said, I still don't really like the idea of having to rely on buses. But, as has been said already, at the same time it certainly seems to be the perfect solution to updating the road network to accomodate thousands of more cars - simply don't allow them to enter the equation.
zulu_85 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Living in Nottingham, personal experience (of
> Nottingham only rather than the rest of the area
> around it unforunately) says you could arrive at
> the station - which is fairly large - and walk a
> short distance to Broadmarsh bus station which
> will in my mind undoubtably have buses going to
> Donnington that weekend. Donnington is basically
> smack in the middle between Nottingham, Derby,
> Burton-upon-Trent and Loughborough, so it may
> allow people to by spread out when it comes to
> which train station they could come from at least.
> That said, I still don't really like the idea of
> having to rely on buses. But, as has been said
> already, at the same time it certainly seems to be
> the perfect solution to updating the road network
> to accomodate thousands of more cars - simply
> don't allow them to enter the equation.

Closest that goes anywhere near to it "normally" is the Skylink bus that goes to the airport. If they have race traffic shuttle buses, I reckon they'll be going from one of the myriad of P+Rs that are in and around Nottingham. My hunch is still on Ratcliffe-on-Soar P+R being the central location for shuttle buses.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

turkey_machine Wrote:
> zulu_85 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Living in Nottingham, personal experience (of
> > Nottingham only rather than the rest of the
> area
> > around it unforunately) says you could arrive
> at
> > the station - which is fairly large - and walk
> a
> > short distance to Broadmarsh bus station which
> > will in my mind undoubtably have buses going to
> > Donnington that weekend. Donnington is
> basically
> > smack in the middle between Nottingham, Derby,
> > Burton-upon-Trent and Loughborough, so it may
> > allow people to by spread out when it comes to
> > which train station they could come from at
> least.
> > That said, I still don't really like the idea
> of
> > having to rely on buses. But, as has been said
> > already, at the same time it certainly seems to
> be
> > the perfect solution to updating the road
> network
> > to accomodate thousands of more cars - simply
> > don't allow them to enter the equation.
>
>
> Closest that goes anywhere near to it "normally"
> is the Skylink bus that goes to the airport. If
> they have race traffic shuttle buses, I reckon
> they'll be going from one of the myriad of P+Rs
> that are in and around Nottingham. My hunch is
> still on Ratcliffe-on-Soar P+R being the central
> location for shuttle buses.

the problem is if they just put everyone on 1 big car park or a few carparks that are close together you just end up shifting the traffic problem a couple of miles up the road. (but then i guess thats their plan :-) )

it would make more sense to me if they intended to have several smaller car parks surrounding the circuit.

so if you were coming from down south on the M1 you go to car parks A,B,C(which you would hope would be before J24!), from up north on the M1 you go to D,E,F and from the A50/A42 G,H,I etc.
(but i guess the problem then becomes finding space for these carparks.)

by doing that, you spread the traffic load over a large area and dont end up with everyone taking the same route. Also because you'd be allowing most people to go by car and then get the bus in, you reduce the load that the trains will have to deal with too.
has anyone thought how screwed the farmers at silvedstone are gonna be... those that maybe dont have a regular job and bum around, but earn in excess of their annual salary in one grand prix weekend loaning their field as a campsite.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
danm Wrote:
> has anyone thought how screwed the farmers at
> silvedstone are gonna be... those that maybe dont
> have a regular job and bum around, but earn in
> excess of their annual salary in one grand prix
> weekend loaning their field as a campsite.

lol, yeah i paid £90 the other year for a 3 day pass! a couple of portaloos and showers for a few 1000 people! + couldn't police the place at all! when the muppets behind us insisted on playing drum and bass horrendously loud at 4am, did they come out and tell them to turn it off? did they hell. it was left to a few blokes to go over and threaten to smash their decks to pieces before they finally shut up.

mind you, theres plenty of fields around donington. i imagine theres a few farmers already looking forward to their holidays in barbados.

its a shame for the school though. they raise quite a bit of money by turning their playground into a carpark for the weekend. its cheaper than the offical ones and its quicker to get in and out of. + theres bacon sandwiches and tea!

nice people too.
hopefully Donington gets the work done, because we definitely need a british race on the calendar

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy