The Official 2009 Australian GP Thread *spoilers*

Posted by BAR#10 
Re: The Official 2009 Australian GP Thread *spoilers*
Date: April 02, 2009 11:56AM
Posted by: marcl
I agree with the penalty thats been given, if Lewis had been honest to start with he would have got 4th or 3rd.

Vettel might not get the 10 place penalty now either.

[www.autosport.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 11:59AM by marcl.
Serves them right, i guess - it's a bit silly not to supply information that the FIA could easily obtain. Maybe they thought it wouldn't be noticed...

Date: April 02, 2009 12:40PM
Posted by: gav
What the hell? What was the point in that? They had little to gain and everything to lose.

So much for Martin Whitmarsh wanting a nice, trouble free run to the flag without any controversies in his first race.

Regardless of whether Vettel's penalty is overturned, it's good to the see the FIA/stewards following up incidents that aren't clear-cut and at least discussing them once things have blown over. Leaves it a bit messy, but so long as the right decisions are eventually made every now and then, it's for the best.
Date: April 02, 2009 12:46PM
Posted by: marcl
What people want to know though, well I do, is what this misleading evidence was?

From the outside it just looks like Mclaren/lewis wanted Trulli to get a penalty.

I just dont get it, why let him pass then try and get him a penalty.

I hope we do find out what was said tbh.

It does sound as if Lewis just said Trulli passed him to the FIA and told other people he was told to slow down. I am sure there will be a press statement from Mclaren.

A lot of companies dont like working with liars, and yet again this does not look good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 12:51PM by marcl.
What!!! Well more contraversay and politics :(

Whilst i do not disagree with the decision, it very annoying when the results change.

I thought when the FIA/Stewards made a decision, they would now officially publish in detail the whys and whats. I have not seen anything yet about the Vettle/Kubica and Hamilton/Trulli penalties of yet.
wow never saw this coming.incredible. Seems like a race weekend carrys on for longer than just a 'weekend' when results are frequently being changed after. But if its true, he deserves it.

Date: April 02, 2009 01:10PM
Posted by: chet
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What the hell? What was the point in that? They
> had little to gain and everything to lose.
>
> So much for Martin Whitmarsh wanting a nice,
> trouble free run to the flag without any
> controversies in his first race.
>
> Regardless of whether Vettel's penalty is
> overturned, it's good to the see the FIA/stewards
> following up incidents that aren't clear-cut and
> at least discussing them once things have blown
> over. Leaves it a bit messy, but so long as the
> right decisions are eventually made every now and
> then, it's for the best.

Very much agreed, but once a result is decided it should stay. That is one of the main problems imo, the unknown of race results, annoying for the fans but worse for the teams. I should not happen.

It seems Vettels penalty is under discussion, probably to be overturned.

Me, you, and everyone else all decided it was a racing incident and 50-50 therefore no penalty should be applied. But Vettel wrongly got one nad now is probably going to have it over-turned.

The FIA are so f*cking useless imo. Why did Vettel recieve that penalty? There was no good reason, there should be no need to review decisions. The decisions should be made there and then and they should be the correct ones and they should stick.

If there is a situation where they can not make an imediate decision then none should be made until it is the correct one! It is no good saying 10place penalty, then going back and deciding something else. I can just not get over how bad this sport is run and how dumb they sometimes appear! Half if not more of the people on here could run the sport better and make the correct decisions regarding the racing incidents!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
In accepting the stewards' decision, McLaren issued the following press release, stating they have no plans to appeal:

"The FIA Stewards have reviewed their decision of Sunday 29th March 2009, and have excluded Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton from the results of the 2009 Australian Grand Prix.

"Vodafone McLaren Mercedes understands that the Stewards made their decision on the basis of reviewing radio transmissions between the driver and the Team.

"The Team mistakenly believed that the radio transmissions had been reviewed by the FIA on Sunday 29th March 2009, and consequently did not believe it was necessary to discuss them with the Stewards on that date.

"Nonetheless, the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Team now regrets that it did not do so, accepts the Stewards' decision and will not appeal."

So they just happen not to discuss the evidence which apparently contradicted their original statements?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 02, 2009 01:22PM
And who's fault is that? The FIA has these radion comms at their disposal at a touch of a botton.

Someone with even an ounce of common sense would have thought, "why not check the radio comms?"

imo it was only natural of Mclaren to assume that the FIA did that because like I said any sensible person with half a brain cell would have done that in the first place!!

Date: April 02, 2009 01:27PM
Posted by: Sapo
Don't care who is in third place, just another race of which the final results have been made at the green table instead of the circuit.

btw: Anyone thought about STR, who loses 2 points? (however, in the first place they didn't have them ofcourse, but still, another disappointment for Bourdais)

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 01:30PM by Sapo.
Jamesallenonf1: "Full recordings of Mclaren radio, a copy of the interview LH gave after the race and transcripts will be published soon on FIA & F1 website."

Autosport: "The FIA said Hamilton and McLaren could face further sanctions for the breach of article 151C."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 01:44PM by Rodrigo007.
Sapo schreef:
> Don't care who is in third place, just another
> race of which the final results have been made at
> the green table instead of the circuit.
>
> btw: Anyone thought about STR, who loses 2 points?
> (however, in the first place they didn't have them
> ofcourse, but still, another disappointment for
> Bourdais)

Buemi and Bourdais are still 7th and 8th :)
Trulli now 3rd, Hamilton DQ

So, the final results:
1. Button 10 points
2. Barrichello 8
3. Trulli 6
4. Glock 5
5. Alonso 4
6. Rosberg 3
7. Buemi 2
8. Bourdais 1

1. Brawn GP 18
2. Toyota 11
3. Renault 4
4. Williams 3
5. STR 3

So none of the top3 constructors from 2008 (McLaren, Ferrari and BMW) taking points in the first race of the new season. When was the last time that happened?

Bring back the racing
chet Wrote:
> And who's fault is that? The FIA has these radion
> comms at their disposal at a touch of a botton.
>
> Someone with even an ounce of common sense would
> have thought, "why not check the radio comms?"
>
> imo it was only natural of Mclaren to assume that
> the FIA did that because like I said any sensible
> person with half a brain cell would have done that
> in the first place!!

it does seem odd that a penalty would be dished out without checking something like this.

i guess the issue would be if lewis explicitly denied being told to let trulli through but the radio said otherwise. but then, if the radio transmissions had been checked at the time, then it would have been sorted out last sunday.

i guess we'll know more when the transcripts are published.
Date: April 02, 2009 01:53PM
Posted by: Sapo
antihero schreef:

> Buemi and Bourdais are still 7th and 8th :)
> Trulli now 3rd, Hamilton DQ

Oh right, didn't think of that, nice!

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
chet Wrote:
> And who's fault is that? The FIA has these radion
> comms at their disposal at a touch of a botton.
>
> Someone with even an ounce of common sense would
> have thought, "why not check the radio comms?"
>
> imo it was only natural of Mclaren to assume that
> the FIA did that because like I said any sensible
> person with half a brain cell would have done that
> in the first place!!

As pointed out in an article on Autosport.com, race control was already dealing with a sizeable accident, a car driving around on three wheels, and a safety car running towards the end of the race. Also, why listen to Hamilton's radio over anyone else's? They probably didn't even notice what had happened until Trulli came through ahead.

One more thing - it's not unreasonable of the FIA to expect the whole story from McLaren, rather than edited highlights.

Ah, lovely controversy!

So what happened, McLaren just said to the stewards that Trulli was a bad boy, and stewards went "fair 'nuff" and threw Trulli out without checking anything? Smashing.

Vettel's penalty was dished out because he apologised for the accident, I am pretty sure of that. Had he not done so, the stewards would not have come down on him
Date: April 02, 2009 02:14PM
senninho Wrote:
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And who's fault is that? The FIA has these
> radion
> > comms at their disposal at a touch of a botton.
>
> >
> > Someone with even an ounce of common sense
> would
> > have thought, "why not check the radio comms?"
> >
> > imo it was only natural of Mclaren to assume
> that
> > the FIA did that because like I said any
> sensible
> > person with half a brain cell would have done
> that
> > in the first place!!
>
> As pointed out in an article on Autosport.com,
> race control was already dealing with a sizeable
> accident, a car driving around on three wheels,
> and a safety car running towards the end of the
> race. Also, why listen to Hamilton's radio over
> anyone else's? They probably didn't even notice
> what had happened until Trulli came through
> ahead.
>
> One more thing - it's not unreasonable of the FIA
> to expect the whole story from McLaren, rather
> than edited highlights.

I dont mean race control, I mean when the race was over and looking at the Lewis-Jarno incident, Lewis's radio traffic should have been checked.

senninho Wrote:
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>I dont mean race control, I mean when the race was over and looking at the Lewis-Jarno incident, > >Lewis's radio traffic should have been checked.

i think thats what a few people are wondering.

i'm waiting for the transcripts before making any snap judgments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 02:19PM by marwood82.
Date: April 02, 2009 02:22PM
Posted by: EC83
"The FIA Stewards have reviewed their decision of Sunday 29th March 2009, and have excluded Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton from the results of the 2009 Australian Grand Prix.

"Vodafone McLaren Mercedes understands that the Stewards made their decision on the basis of reviewing radio transmissions between the driver and the Team.

"The Team mistakenly believed that the radio transmissions had been reviewed by the FIA on Sunday 29th March 2009, and consequently did not believe it was necessary to discuss them with the Stewards on that date.

"Nonetheless, the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Team now regrets that it did not do so, accepts the Stewards' decision and will not appeal."

In other words, "We knew we were pushing it."

EC83 Wrote:
> Deserved the eventual
> podium.

Taken back now. In fact, deserved DQ if he was playing the duplicity card.

full Q+A with Whitmarsh

[www.autosport.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy