The Official 2009 Australian GP Thread *spoilers*

Posted by BAR#10 
I say the 25 second penalty on Trulli is way too severe. First yes Trulli went off but then Hamilton was told to slow down and let Trulli pass, so Trulli thinking Hamilton had a problem went pass because there was nothing else he could do, so Trulli didn't take the position by force. This is just another one for the incompetence book by the stewards, they should just have demoted Trulli to fourth.

Other than that and the Vettel penalty this was a great race and I think "if" Brawn did push to the maximun in the race then the field is closer than I thoght. Bring on Malaysia, I am sure Trulli will get a true podium there :)
The Lopper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Red Bull fined $50,000 for telling Vettel to keep
> going after breaking the front wheel. Pretty
> stupid decision by the team really, further
> indication of Vettel's naievety also if he was
> "told" by the team to keep going.

This stewards now adays compare to the older era of f1 is pretty stupid, this are money-makers people,and in the case of vettel,yeah if i where the team boss im gonna keep him going or else....because it was only 3 laps left,and they got fined $50,000... wtf! and a stupid decision by stewards to penalty vettel on the accident cause between him & kubica,which is obviosly kubica didn't give him a room or else vettel will go to grass and spin(im not of vettel though) but it gives me more like to be a fan of kubica when he did that thing on poor innocent baby schumacher.

2 Hot 2 Handle.

MS-

KR -

"You must always pick the worst car and the worst team on the grid, to be the best."
—Fangio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2009 04:53AM by montoya6k.
ROBITUSSIN JR. Wrote:
they should just have demoted
> Trulli to fourth.
>

They couldn't though. Once they determine an offence has been made, the only option open to them post race is a 25 second penalty.

here is another link to the Trulli/Hamilton video

X (@ed24f1)
Re: The Official 2009 Australian GP Thread *spoilers*
Date: March 30, 2009 05:13PM
Posted by: chet
Vettels penalty was a joke.

I thought both drivers accepted it being a racing incident.

It was clear for all to see that Kubica SHOULD have given more space... A great example of how to overtake on that corner could be seen my Glock and Lewis, both were very very fair in overtaking.

Vettel maybe should have backed out, but didnt, both drivers made mistakes why has one got a penalty??

I fully fully agree with Vettel recieving a penalty for driving around the track with 3 wheels (it quite annoyed me actually!) as that was dangerous and just plain stupid! He was outstandingly quick, stupidly quick during the race but any recognition of how good his performance was is now overshadowed by two silly mistakes by two excellent racers.

btw, had there not been a saftey car I do wonder how much further Vettel would have pushed for Button?

And on Mario saying Kubica could have won? bs, Button looked to be nicley saving the tyres incase Kubica got past.

Also, something ive not seen mentioned but imo again quite poor was the saftey car management. Why the hell did it take so long to issue a saftey car after Nakajima's crash?

Malaysia next, KERS should be better but with that the diffusers will also probably have more effect at Malaysia.

Still, I expect Ferrari to be at the top somewhere...

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Gotta agree with everything you're saying Chetson. The safety car was ridiculous and I was actually thinking 94 San Marino as I was watching the cars trying desperately to warm up their tyres.

Ferrari are there or there abouts. They got screwed when their softs wore out and I suspect they would have been mixing for podiums at the end. Me reckons they'll be even better at Sepang. KERS will also be more useful there...

O'Glock was actually the most entertaining driver in Australia; Some great racing with Hamilton and Alonso.
i think ferrari's tyre choice was partly them gambling on a safety car.

Take the hit for the first 15 laps, then if there is a safety car(which does seem to be the case in Oz) then you get all the time back and are now on the prime tyres.

Kimi was in a similar position to Kubica when he stacked it into the wall.

I did like some of Glock's moves around the outside at turns 3+4.

Thought Lewis drove a smart race too and didn't try to be a hero. picked battles he knew he could win, stayed on the track and made sure he was in a position to take maximum advantage if others got into trouble.
Date: March 31, 2009 12:24AM
Posted by: EC83
A tad on the late side I know, but...

Whoa, what an awesome race! Fantastic for Brawn GP and for F1 altogether. Great measured and controlled drive by Jenson, truly deserved the win. Good drive by Rubens too, unlucky at the start. And his car was built like a tank!

Lewis did a really impressive drive, really got the best out of the car. Deserved the eventual podium.

Really unlucky home race for Webber, not for the first time.

Shame about the Vettel/Kubica crash, 50/50 racing incident as said above, no need to penalise either driver, they penalised each other enough already by taking each other out.

Loved the sun going down towards the end of the race - added extra character to the race. Reminded me of Monaco when that had a later start time.

Also, first race to finish under SC conditions since Canada, 10 years ago.

And the BBC coverage all weekend = awesome, just awesome. Great presenting from Jake Humphrey & debate from DC and EJ. And the commentary - fantastic!! Jonathan Legard and Martin make a brilliant team. Long may it continue! :)

chet Wrote:

> Also, something ive not seen mentioned but imo
> again quite poor was the saftey car management.
> Why the hell did it take so long to issue a saftey
> car after Nakajima's crash?

They were waiting for Button to do his pit stop so he could win and get the hype on even higher level ;)
Just a quick quest, did anyone else notice that the drivers on the podium and in the press conference were wearing team caps, rather than the usual Bridgestone caps? Is this a new thing or has it been happening for ages without me noticing?

SexySam182 Wrote:
> Just a quick quest, did anyone else notice that
> the drivers on the podium and in the press
> conference were wearing team caps, rather than the
> usual Bridgestone caps? Is this a new thing or has
> it been happening for ages without me noticing?

On the podium was the Bridgestone cap and then in the press conference its the Team ones
Date: April 01, 2009 10:54PM
Posted by: marcl
So now Lewis has to answer questions by the FIA on Thursday and if it does not match up with what he said to them on Sunday he could face a penalty. This is regarding letting Trulli back past.
Crying out loud, wish the FIA would just let it be. At the rate these guys move, by the time we get the final Oz GP results we'll be heading for Brazil.

Date: April 01, 2009 11:42PM
Posted by: chet
Its a joke when you think that you could go into the next race not even knowing the result from a race previous!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 02, 2009 10:04AM
I dont know what the FIA will do if they find Lewis and Mclaren guilty, the results from this race are not yet final so they could still give Trulli 3rd and Lewis nothing god knows.
Well the reason Lewis got 3rd was a pure technicality. Trulli unable to hold the safety car speed on circuit.

Trulli says Lewis slowed to a crawl and Jarno thought Lewis was retiring, so went passed. If Lewis did slow down on his own then he falls foul of the same regulation of being unable to hold the SC speed. If the team told him to slow down, then again, SC rules were broken.

Lewis messing around under SC? Well I never.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 02, 2009 10:32AM
Tbh it does sound like Lewis will lose 3rd if they can change the results or have to start from the pit lane or back of the grid or 10 place grid penalty in Sepang.

But by doing this it does not give Trulli the points back so not sure what they will do.
Hamilton excluded from results of Austrailian GP. (from bbc news)

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 11:02AM by marwood82.
Date: April 02, 2009 11:03AM
Posted by: Advong
From BBC:

The sport's world governing body said they were excluded "for providing evidence deliberately misleading to the stewards at the hearing on March 29."

so it's not so much for the overtaking, more what he said to the stewarts last weekend
I think the punishment is good. Its the same like lying in court, your not telling the truth, and that way, someone else is a victim of your lies, in this case Trulli, so I agree with this punishment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy