The Official 2009 Australian GP Thread *spoilers*

Posted by BAR#10 
What a great start to the season - a proper motor race all the way through. Shame about Vettel and Kubica, but at least we got the fairytale finish that people were speculating on.

To echo other peoples' comments:

- Buemi did very well indeed.
- PiquetLOL - if only Bruninho was here ;)

SpaceAce schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wat happened to kimi!? did i fall asleep or is
> channel 10 crap
>
> NOOOO VETTELLLL

I think kimi hit the wall and lost his front wing, he did a stop to change it. After that he was 7 seconds a lap slower, so it looked like he had technical problems then. Ferrari seems unreliable.

What a race, who could have thought that? ;)

DaveEllis Wrote:
> Well done Jenson. Well done Rubens. And a very
> well done Brawn. But things look bright for the
> future. Buemi was awesome. Vettel was outstanding.
> I love Formula 1 2009.

I think the fact that Dave could be that openly in love with F1 shows how good the race was ;)

what a race yer i didn't see what happened to kimi but he would have been right up there. im so happy for button and rubens and trulli, who needs all the new young drivers whne you got these guys.

It seems due Kimi's crash the suspension got some damage since he was doing very slow laps after the pits, it seemed to be the same problem Massa had in Monza 07.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2009 10:18AM by Rodrigo007.
Re: The Official 2009 Australian GP Thread *spoilers*
Date: March 29, 2009 10:18AM
Posted by: jbnd05
Martin Whitmarsh is saying Trulli repassed under the safety after he went onto the grass. The FIA are looking at it.

Date: March 29, 2009 10:19AM
Posted by: Karan
I guess the results are still unofficial based on the pending appeal, but a nice result for Brawn GP. Barrichello drove a steady and mature race to bring the car home after a rough start. Experience shone through nicely in his drive, and I can't imagine a rookie like Senna managing to do the same in his place.

A very disappointing result for the Scuderia. All these points they lose in the early races, really handicaps them for the championship early :( Boys in Maranello have a fair bit of work to do until they climb back to the top, consistently.

Date: March 29, 2009 10:33AM
Vettel and Kubica, and Trulli and Hamilton are seeing the stewards. Trulli went off under safety car and came back and repassed Lewis.

Date: March 29, 2009 10:34AM
Posted by: danm
bbc site feed is still doing paddock interviews!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 29, 2009 10:39AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Wow. Just... wow.

Fun from the start, I think the new regs (aero and KERS) have had an effect on overtaking cause we saw a lot of that today. Epic racing by Brawn, Vettel and Kubica were both excellent until they went arse over tit. Kinda LOL seeing them slide into the same wall one after another. 50:50 on that I reckon, it's racing. Buemi excellent too.

Silly first corner pile-up, a lot of people closing doors.

LOL at Ferrari in general.

Poor supersoft performance from Williams. Very odd.

Epic fail for Piquet, he's a bit rubbish. Bordais was nowhere.

Bring on Malaysia. Let's hope the diffusers aren't banned.

Formula 1 is fun again. Now we just have to keep that medal system at bay and we're laughing.

Cheers.
Date: March 29, 2009 10:43AM
Oh yeah good performance from Buemi, and LOL at Piquet & Ferrari.

So the sun's gone down in Melbourne, the coverage has finished, let's round it up and see what could change....

Hamilton could be 3rd depending on the stewards, after Trulli went off-track and re-took the position under SC conditions.

Hamilton could still win this GP in 16 days if the "diffuser 3" are thrown out of the results of both races by the Court of Appeal.

Depending on what the stewards think of their clash, Vettel and Kubica could both land grid penalties for Malaysia.

Ted Kravitz said that Mario Theissen reckoned Kubica had the pace to win it had he not collided with Vettel, as he was flying on the super-softs. I doubt that, since Button had the legs on the field with pace, despite the fact Rosberg set fastest lap.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 29, 2009 11:02AM
Posted by: SAMF1
Not since the French Grand Prix in 1954 has a team new to Formula One racing finished one-two on their debut.
That day it was Juan Manuel Fangio and Karl Kling for Mercedes-Benz, now Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello for Brawn-Mercedes.

and who you think was the driver of the day

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2009 11:04AM by SAMF1.
Amazing race, really happy for Button and rubens. They deserved this weekend!
Shame about ferrari, cant believe Kimi binning it when he could have been close to the fight at the front!

Vettel and Kubica...well wasnt necessary. They threw away podium positions but Vettel yet again showing the class driver he is. Kubica should have gave some more room for vettel.

It was a good result but it wasn't a fantastic race. I think the Ferraris falling off kind of did away with some of the kind of excitement at the finish that Vettel and Kubica provided. The Ferraris were on hards and should have been mixing it up for podiums. Totally agree with what Eddie Jordan said about it too, no need for Vettel to apologise, and if anything I felt it was more Kubica's fault, as he was on the outside and was the attacking driver. Toyota were damn impressive, drove uncomplicated races to a strong 3rd and 5th (although Trulli might lose it; I saw Trulli run wide at the last corner, and tbh he didn't run off the grass too much; he should keep the position.)

While BMW and Red Bull have lots to be sorry about, I'd be most disappointed for Williams. Rosberg drove really well until the end, was it really tyres or something more? Nakajima was unlucky, as far as I could see he was running the same line as everyone else, the car suddenly got away from him. Similar story for Raikkonen, Brundle reckoned Kimi might have used KERS when he spun which might be it because I can't understand what happened otherwise.

LMAO at Piquet though. I knew the minute the Safety Car pulled off someone would lose it and I had a hunch it'd be a Piquet. The safety car was out ridiculously long.

Mainly though, congrats to Brawn Button and Barrichello. Magic! :)
Date: March 29, 2009 11:16AM
Posted by: gav
loque Wrote:
> Poor supersoft performance from Williams. Very odd.

They weren't any worse than the Ferraris, who are normally really good at protecting tyres, and Vettel's were just starting to fall apart when he and Kubica collided* . Still, you'd have thought as the track rubbered in, they would have lasted better, so who knows.

* I'm more inclined to blame Vettel for that one, especially given that Kubica would have overtaken him later that lap probably, and gone on to challenge Button - 50-50% for stupidity, but Vettel was fighting very much a lost cause - I think the Stewards will find in favour of Kubica on that one.

turkey_machine Wrote:
> Ted Kravitz said that Mario Theissen reckoned
> Kubica had the pace to win it had he not collided
> with Vettel, as he was flying on the super-softs.
> I doubt that, since Button had the legs on the
> field with pace, despite the fact Rosberg set
> fastest lap.

I doubt it more, saying as Kubica was on the medium compound, having used the super-softs in the opening stint. ;-)

My only concern out of this race is the difference in tyres. There are far worse tracks than Melbourne to come (Hungary obviously springs to mind, Barcelona and Turkey with their strain on one front tyre and how the hell are they going to cope with the heat in Sepang and Bahrain?). There's too much difference between the 2 compounds in my opinion. The medium were too hard and the super-soft far, far too soft.

If this replicates itself at other circuits throughout the year with the different compounds, we'll have another Villeneuve/Ralf Melbourne crash, as the ones on the SS had to brake miles earlier than those on the medium. As most of you know, I'm not normally one to cry out for safety measures, but there'll be a big accident caused by these tyres before the season is out.
gav Wrote:
> My only concern out of this race is the difference
> in tyres. There are far worse tracks than
> Melbourne to come (Hungary obviously springs to
> mind, Barcelona and Turkey with their strain on
> one front tyre and how the hell are they going to
> cope with the heat in Sepang and Bahrain?).
> There's too much difference between the 2
> compounds in my opinion. The medium were too hard
> and the super-soft far, far too soft.
>
> If this replicates itself at other circuits
> throughout the year with the different compounds,
> we'll have another Villeneuve/Ralf Melbourne
> crash, as the ones on the SS had to brake miles
> earlier than those on the medium. As most of you
> know, I'm not normally one to cry out for safety
> measures, but there'll be a big accident caused by
> these tyres before the season is out.

I was very concerned about tyres going into this race but I was impressed by how the drivers coped. Not only having to deal with cold temperatures but also the ridiculously long first safety car period, yet only Piquet seemed to get it wrong. There are further, much different problems lying ahead as you point out and a few catastrophic blowouts/grip problems could well be seen.
Date: March 29, 2009 11:22AM
Posted by: chet
Well to Brawn the team.

Fantastic and perfect start to what will be a fantastic year.

Im going to go out here and say imo Jenson had more in reserve in terms of pace had he needed it. Drove perfectly, not a foot wrong bar the pitstop. This is his time to shine and he needs to take every moment of it!!!

Great race, great start. Lewis also did well, as did Toyota, Rosberg provided good on track action but sadly the strategy was wrong.

Thank God its only a few days till Malaysia, after that race a weeks break would have been too long :p!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 29, 2009 11:22AM
Posted by: gav
SAMF1 Wrote:
> Not since the French Grand Prix in 1954 has a team
> new to Formula One racing finished one-two on
> their debut.

As the BBC commentators pointed out yesterday, you could argue Wolf did it in 1977, but they were bourne out of another team... though so were Brawn.

> and who you think was the driver of the day

Kubica until he was at least partly to blame for the crash with Vettel. The same applies to Vettel. Probably Buemi or Hamilton.
The softs were fine when used correctly. Drivers who ragged the tyres to hell didn't last. Others did. The current crop of F1 drivers aren't used to having to conserve tyres. It is a skill they will learn.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy