James Allen 'Appreciation' Thread

Posted by SchueyFan 
Re: James Allen 'Appreciation' Thread
Date: November 01, 2008 06:52PM
Posted by: Muks_C
oh yeah, Bev Turner was nice to look at, but her "features" were god-awful. i don't care where the best place to buy a dress in Milan is, but she felt obliged to tell us.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: November 01, 2008 07:58PM
Posted by: gav
But you got to see Beverly Turner in a nice dress in Milan. Sometimes those "features" just sort of slipped by. ;)

It's like Scrapheap Challenge. It's as much fun to watch it for Lisa Rogers as it is for the oiled up fat guys and the machines they tie together.
Date: November 02, 2008 01:26AM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
heres allens word back, taken from post from another forum

After eight years as ITV-F1 commentator James Allen will commentate on his final live Grand Prix - for the time being at least - at Interlagos this weekend.

In that time he’s been subject to a huge amount of criticism, much of it coming on internet forums and blogs.

In a retrospective look at his time with ITV-F1, Allen has finally spoken about his reaction to the criticism:

I was always pretty confident that when Murray decided to retire I would get the gig, but never anything less than utterly self-critical and seeking to improve with every race and every year, which I think I’ve done.

It’s a very difficult and high-pressure job, because with 20 cars there are 20 different points of focus.

You have to read the race, using a TV picture and the timing screens, while speaking at the same time and still leave spare brain capacity for talking to the producer and thinking about what comes next.

And as it’s live and it’s all happening very quickly it’s very easy to make a mistake, which is why you always need to allow yourself a margin.

Having a brilliant communicator like Martin Brundle as a partner helps a great deal too.

I take a journalistic approach to commentary, I’m a storyteller; it’s my job to tell the story, not to be the story.

Of course there are many people at home in their armchairs who think they could do it better and one of the challenges for me was that I replaced Murray just as the internet opened up to allow everyone to have their say in chat rooms and forums.

But I know from market research and viewer feedback that the pros massively outnumber the vocal minority of cons.

I’m very proud of the work that we have done with the North One production team over the years and we have 2 BAFTAs and 12 Royal Television Society awards to prove that the TV industry, like most viewers, rate our work very highly.

Date: November 02, 2008 03:18AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Peter Windsor has been getting so annoying this season with Lewis. Last year it was forgivable, this year is upsetting.
Date: November 02, 2008 07:38AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
yes, peter windsor has gone too far as well unfortunately.

does anyone know who the guy was who did the press conferences back in around 2000?

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 02, 2008 08:49PM
Posted by: Red_Bull
Bob Constanduros (however you spell it)

Have to say I reckon this was James Allen's best performance in recent years. Informative, entertaining, and he and Brundle were very enjoyable to listen to.

The moment of the race belongs to Ted Kravits though

'I'm not supposed to be out here in the pitlane, but stuff it it's the last race, who cares!'

Words to that effect anyway.

Date: November 02, 2008 08:53PM
Posted by: brunoboi
Brilliant final commentary - I sincerely hope we'll here him again in the future

Date: November 02, 2008 09:00PM
Posted by: mikef1
Ted's waving of the Union Jack at the Brazilian crowd was just dumb.
Agree that James Allen was on his best form today, but i think it is time for a change and hopefully it will be for the better.
Oh and Peter Windsor is a pretentious cock.
Date: November 02, 2008 09:00PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Red_Bull Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bob Constanduros (however you spell it)
>
> Have to say I reckon this was James Allen's best
> performance in recent years. Informative,
> entertaining, and he and Brundle were very
> enjoyable to listen to.
>
> The moment of the race belongs to Ted Kravits
> though
>
> 'I'm not supposed to be out here in the pitlane,
> but stuff it it's the last race, who cares!'
>
> Words to that effect anyway.

That was brilliant from Ted, got a genuine lol from me there, and that's hard to do when I'm feeling like how I am at this time in life!

I think he said something like "this is highly illegal stuff, I'm not supposed to be in the pit lane, but who cares - it's our last race!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: November 03, 2008 02:23AM
Posted by: Vader
Jenson who?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 03, 2008 09:45AM
Posted by: LS.
was quite amusing to see the bit of Black Parade F1 tribute that James Allen sang, was like he was sending out a message to all the people that dislike him :p

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: November 03, 2008 02:01PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
James Allen was great yesterday, probably because he had no time to get overly excited, like Jenson in 06 for example.

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy