Date: October 27, 2008 09:26PM
Posted by: matt3454
Over an engine row. More soon ;)

Re: Ferrari Threaten to Pull out of F1
Date: October 27, 2008 09:31PM
Posted by: danny87
[www.autosport.com]

-----------------------------------------------

"When you begin in this sport you are given a chequebook. Every time you have a big one you must write a check to the angels. The trick is to finish your career before you empty the chequebook".
Date: October 27, 2008 09:37PM
Posted by: Nickv
Now Ferrari has left the FIA side, the FIA will fall down on their knees and revert it ASAP.

This quite shows how political F1 is. The FIA proposes something extreme. Then the teams threaten to do something extreme (leave) and in the end everything will stay the same, or a weak, bad compromise will be made which makes nobody really happy.
Date: October 27, 2008 10:03PM
Posted by: gav
Exactly, it's just bluffs and counter-bluffs.

There'll be a clear winner on this one though. F1 need their manufacturers. It's evolved over time that manufacturers have become less and then more involved with F1, and that could continue to ebb and flow, but a sudden shift isn't going to work. F1 would fall apart. There's too much them to lose if they push through with this.

What the compromise is, I don't know. Development in controlled circumstances?
Date: October 27, 2008 11:45PM
Posted by: jbnd05
Wow.... I think I know Ferrari pretty well! (See FIA/FOTA post)

Date: October 28, 2008 01:06AM
Posted by: rapid_f1
can i just ask, maybe theres a simple answer but why do the teams need the fia? how did the fia initially become to govern f1?

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: October 28, 2008 01:20AM
Posted by: The_Ozz_Man
@ Rapid_F1

I was just thinking that mate

The FIA seam to be out to make F1 a faster version of Indycar or A1GP for something

The manufacturers need to stay together on this Including Ferrari and fight to keep their own engines as i have said before they could standardise every other part of the Car (suspension, Wheels, gearboxes, petrol) which would save money but nobody would care

Do that First !!!

The Thunder from Downunder

Date: October 28, 2008 01:42AM
Posted by: ROBITUSSIN JR.
Dont worry guys Mad Max is not that crazy (I hope) because if that one engine for all rule gets approved, every manufacturer will drop out, Toyota has already confirmed it so I am sure the others will follow suit. If that happens F1 future looks pretty dim, so for his sake Mad Max should take it easy.

The engine is the soul of a car and I really cannot fathom the idea of seeing a Ferrari Costworth or a BMW Ferrari for that matter, and I am sure the manufacturers cant as well.
Date: October 28, 2008 08:42AM
Posted by: Jolkins
Well now, when there's one top manufacturer, which has declared this, Max will need to reconsider his ideas... I just can' t see where's the problem? As long as manufacturers haven't got any kind of problems with costs, why FIA should f**** up whole championship? If FIA and Max have at least some remains of intelligence, they' ll accept teams thoughts, they're really the one who're racing. If teams will get fed up with FIA and Max, they can always make their own FOTA championship.
Date: October 28, 2008 09:02AM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
I hate this saving money crap, don't the FIA understand that if they make cuts in some places, then the teams will just spend the money on development in other place to gain an advantage.
Date: October 28, 2008 12:58PM
Posted by: MrMan
ROBITUSSIN JR. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dont worry guys Mad Max is not that crazy (I hope)
> because if that one engine for all rule gets
> approved, every manufacturer will drop out, Toyota
> has already confirmed it
so I am sure the others
> will follow suit. If that happens F1 future looks
> pretty dim, so for his sake Mad Max should take it
> easy.
>
> The engine is the soul of a car and I really
> cannot fathom the idea of seeing a Ferrari
> Costworth or a BMW Ferrari for that matter, and I
> am sure the manufacturers cant as well.

Toyota haven't confirmed it, they've merely said they'll reconsider, depending on which route F1 takes. They've also now said they'll stay in F1 until 2012 at least. Source: [en.f1-live.com]

The FIA won't go ahead with this standardised engine, despite what Mosley says F1 needs the manufacturers. I also feel alot of fans would stop watching.

Date: October 28, 2008 01:28PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
this threat would have more importance to the FIA than the Toyota threat, but its all posturing for position later on

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 28, 2008 04:07PM
Posted by: Nickv
How right was I?

The FIA have stated that Ferrari misunderstood the plans. Using a standard engine was just one out of three options. FIA: "It seems that Ferrari have not been informed sufficiently. The FIA have given the teams three options. One of them is the standard engine. Another is that the manufacturers come to a solution together."

[f1.gpupdate.net]

I've got it from a Dutch source, but others will pick it up soon I guess.

One out of three optinos huh? I can remember only one...
Date: October 28, 2008 04:17PM
Posted by: Red_Bull
Renault#1Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hate this saving money crap, don't the FIA
> understand that if they make cuts in some places,
> then the teams will just spend the money on
> development in other place to gain an advantage.

We're in a state of recession not seen since the 1930's, so all this money saving crap is very necessary because the manufacturers cant afford it. Unfortunately I just dont think the FIA are applying the right solutions at the moment. Standard engines are not the answer, but I dont know what is, short of an overall budget cap which would be very hard to police.

Date: October 28, 2008 04:29PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
But well, in terms of saving money Max is right, with teams spending like 100m or 400m like toyota - mclaren, it's pretty dificult ( not to say impossible) for other teams to join the category and keep a competitive level, in the past it wasn't a top prob because there wasn't that level of money being spent into projects/cars for a year, but nowadays if they keep like that unfortunately the lower teams will always be forced to leave due to the top teams' incredible amount of budget, that case in the end killing the sport sooner or later as only the biggest will be able to remain

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2008 04:33PM by Rodrigo007.
Date: October 28, 2008 09:48PM
Posted by: Frantic
but now all the teams can´t spend more than $170000000 i think...

However, it will be something like 1981-82, remember, all the FOCA teams were on one side, and Ferrari, Renault and one team more (if I remember right, Alfa Romeo) were on the FIA side. The powerful teams, like McLaren or Williams, and Brabham, want to defeat the most powerful team (ferrari), so the agreed with they.

In 2010-11, if the FIA sets standard engines, Ferrari will want to pull out, and (again) the other teams (McLaren, BMW, Honda or Williams if they start to run on the top 5 again) will want to defeat Ferrari, so....

or the teams that not want standard engnines could create a parallel championship...

Date: October 28, 2008 10:52PM
Posted by: Q1s2
Well Mclaren, Honda, and BMW Sauber cant break away, they have signed GPMA withe Bernie? which means they cant rite?

Date: October 28, 2008 11:00PM
Posted by: J i m
It's a little be different this time round Frantic. All of the teams have found common ground with the FOTA.
Date: October 28, 2008 11:22PM
Posted by: ROBITUSSIN JR.
I am pretty sure that the teams will support standarized gearbox or suspensions which will save a lot of money. But standarized engines are simply a no no because thats the soul of a car and what identifies each manufacturer the most. With standarized engines the manufacturers being proud themselves, will feel their identity lost.
Date: October 30, 2008 07:42PM
Posted by: Frantic
The best solution is, for example, 3 gearbox suppliers, 2 tyre supplies.

You can´t set standarized engines, as robitussin jr. said, is the soul of a car, and is bad for marketing too, and I don´t see a McLaren or a BMW or a Toyota, and of course a Ferrari, with, for saying something, Mazda engines.... is bad for marketing

come on guys!! there are a lot of ways to make the F1 more competitive!!

In the 70s there weren´t standarized engines, or tyres, or suspensions, or gearbox, or whatever. The thing was they try to innovate with their designs, and -for me- that was the best times of F1 ever. Today that is impossible. Bernie needs to take a look for the ALMS series for example, you are free to make the car you want to make...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy