Less Charismatic WDC

Posted by Frantic 
Less Charismatic WDC
Date: October 23, 2008 09:57PM
Posted by: Frantic
For me is Denny Hulme, by far... other drivers could be Keke Rosberg, Damon Hill, etc.

What do you think??

Re: Less Charismatic WDC
Date: October 23, 2008 10:31PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
championship is championship imo, so i dont find any less charismatic :)

Date: October 23, 2008 10:54PM
Posted by: J i m
You could hardly call Keke Rosberg uncharismatic.
Date: October 23, 2008 11:31PM
Posted by: The_Ozz_Man
Kimi!

The Thunder from Downunder

Date: October 24, 2008 12:00AM
Posted by: Guimengo
From this and the past decade, Kimi, Damon, Villeneuve, Prost. I'd say Mika as well but we never got the stuff outside the races in Brazil so I can't say since people here swear Mika's amazing off-track.
Date: October 24, 2008 12:18AM
Posted by: vesuvius
Fernando Alonso
Date: October 24, 2008 12:21AM
Posted by: danm
the champion is champion for a reason - they have the most points.

regardless of any other driver having exceptionally good races, the one who has the most points at the end was either the most consistent, or got the best they could over the course of the season to end up with the most. its simple. they might not win every race, they might not win any, but if they won the championship by strings of second places, okay its not as nourishing as a race win in first place, but it would mean consecutive consistency where others either failed or didnt do as well as the consistent one.

in todays age, engine and mechanical failures aren't as commonplace as they use to be. this could suggest that perhaps todays 2000's generation of driver is less likely to lose points by mechanical fault, and more so by a driver error. meaning, the champion is going to be the highest scorer on regular good driving - but if, ie Massa or Hamilton make a lot of spins and dodgy racing moves that lose both of them points, and then someone like Kubica ends up with the most points - the others may have had more wins, granted, but Kubica has been there where the others have failed to perform - most of which, being the 2000's, points lost for lower quality driving and not engine faults.

it seems today, the WDC is going to be someone who makes the most of what they can on the day, instead of the nitty gritty racing for the win of the 90's and before. perhaps the reason is because in the days of senna and prost and the 86 turbo days, you didn't know if your engine would go bust that race or the next, so every point was precious. that made the racing more aggressive, and with only the top 6 getting them, even more so.

today you can cruise from third to first and the need to win is less, largely to the points. (and maybe now added to this the penalising for making an overtaking move!?).

so all in all, consider this:

what if a driver has a one-off win and never scores all season (ie, Piquet), earning 12 points, versus another driver who regularly finishes the last races with 2 points per race (ie, Vettel). they both have the same points, so which would be conceived better of the two? mr one off performance, or mr consistent?

the old system would naturally place piquet higher per wins in the standings next to eachother. so i guess that way wins is the main factor.

but really, in my opinion, a solid finisher is more worthy in this case.

of course, if someone won more, they would by default have a lot more points than someone in second every race, so naturally the winner is clear.

but this year is unusual - and its a personal argument what is more deserving.

for me, i would LOVE to see kubica take it for his consistency, but it is hamiltons win at silverstone and other races ie, spa, that highlights me as more deserving than kubica, and by the fia way, hamilton would win it if they were to get equal points.

so there we have it - wins are what counts as the fia process it all at the end.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: October 24, 2008 12:34AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Charisma? What is this, F1 "Dancing with the stars"? ;)

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: October 24, 2008 12:35AM
oops sorry i answered the totally wrong thing, oops LOL

for me, id say Kimi by FAR - i think charismatic would be someone showing pleasure and strong emotion when they win or lose.

people like schummi are very charismatic champions. mika too, mansell, alonso (full of emotion and character). lewis hamilton i would add to the list, if he does it, as you can taste his passion when he drives and wins, just look at the podium scenes.

other charismatic drivers i would add to that - perhaps irvine, montoya, rubens, herbert, alesi...

Date: October 24, 2008 12:51AM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
Man, the less charismatic was Nelson Piquet, he always talked what he wanted even if it was bad words or talk sh1t about other drivers , did whatever he wanted , press was afraid to interview him because of his explosive/ very arrogant sometimes disrepectful personality , was not liked by part of the team (Williams) who were the ones who worked for Mansell, and was proud to make alot of bad taste jokes with ppl ... Seriously, the guy was really a mofo.

but the funny part is that even him being like that... he became 3 times world champion :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2008 12:57AM by Rodrigo007.
Date: October 24, 2008 01:07AM
Posted by: Bruninho
Michael Schumacher.

Date: October 24, 2008 01:43PM
Definitions of charisma on the Web:

* is "the ability to develop or inspire in others an ideological commitment to a particular point of view." (Frank 1993, p.383)
www.latinoleadership.org/research/library/dictionary.html

* Personalismo
cueflash.com/Decks/Latin_American_Midterm(2)

* a personal attractiveness or interestingness that enables you to influence others
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* The word charisma (from the Greek word χάρισμα (kharisma), "gift" or "divine favor," from kharizesthai, "to favor," from kharis, "favor": see also charism, Charis) refers to a rare trait found in certain human personalities usually including extreme charm and a 'magnetic' quality of ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charisma

* Charisma| カリスマ|Karisuma is a 1999 film directed by Japanese director Kiyoshi Kurosawa. The film is about a dispute between a number of people about a unique but possibly toxic tree growing in an un-named forest.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charisma (film)

* Charisma was a horse ridden by New Zealander Mark Todd, and the gelding won many competitions in the sport of eventing. He is considered by many to be one of the greatest event horses ever to have competed.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charisma (horse)

* Charisma Magazine (also known as Charisma + Christian Life) is a monthly Christian magazine based in Lake Mary, Florida, aimed at Pentecostals and charismatics. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charisma (magazine)

* The elm cultivar Charisma ™ was derived from a crossing of two hybrids grown at the Morton Arboretum, Accolade ™ and Vanguard ™. Charisma ™ is similar in stature to the American Elm, and has glossy, deep-green foliage. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charisma (elm hybrid)

* Personal charm or magnetism; An extraordinary power granted by the Holy Spirit; The ability to influence without the use of logic
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/charisma

Schumacher has a lot of charisma.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2008 01:44PM by danm.
Date: October 24, 2008 01:55PM
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Schumacher has a lot of charisma.

Nope, hes just a fu@#*!g cheater.

Date: October 24, 2008 02:04PM
Posted by: J i m
Unfortunately for you... you didn't write the world's dictionary, please don't confuse your opinion with fact.
Date: October 24, 2008 02:27PM
J i m Wrote:
> Unfortunately for you... you didn't write the
> world's dictionary, please don't confuse your
> opinion with fact.

OPINION: He's a cheater FACT: He cheated against D.Hill @ Adelaide'94

OPINION: He's a cheater FACT: Benetton cheated with a hidden illegal Traction Control in 1994 (Laptimes @ Interlagos Sector 3, all about traction, proves it)

OPINION: He's a cheater FACT: Benetton cheated with an illegal fuel rig giving them 2s in pitstops (Jos Verstappens Benetton on fire @ Hockenheim proves it)

OPINION: He's a cheater FACT: He tried to cheat against J.Villeneuve @ Jerez'97 and failed.

OPINION: He's a cheater FACT: Use of team orders not to be threatened by a certain useless brazilian in his cheating hunt for titles. (Austria 2002 for example)

OPINION: He's a cheater FACT: Use of illegal bargeboards @ Sepang'99, following DQ.

OPINION: He's a cheater FACT: Parked his car at La Rascasse (Monaco'06) trying to stop Alonso. Got a grid penalty and started dead last.

Enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2008 02:30PM by Bruninho.
Date: October 24, 2008 02:52PM
Posted by: IWE
danm Wrote:
> for me, id say Kimi by FAR - i think charismatic
> would be someone showing pleasure and strong
> emotion when they win or lose.
>
> people like schummi are very charismatic
> champions. mika too, mansell, alonso. lewis hamilton i would add
> to the list, if he does it, as you can taste his
> passion when he drives and wins, just look at the
> podium scenes.

I pretty much agree.. Not complete sure about Mika, but atleast he is definately more charismatic than Kimi.. ;)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: October 24, 2008 03:02PM
Posted by: Nickv
How is being a cheater related to having no charisma?
Date: October 24, 2008 03:07PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
It isn't related. He just don't understand the meaning of the word. Kind of similar to the word 'luck'.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 24, 2008 03:11PM
Posted by: Nickv
I know it isn't related. I was wondering what Brunos 'excellent' explanation would be.
Date: October 24, 2008 03:19PM
Then name a cheater with charisma ?

How can a guy be charismatic with acts (cheats) like these?

I have never liked him tbh.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy