Here we go, standard engine.

Posted by kimiraik 
Re: Here we go, standard engine.
Date: October 19, 2008 11:33AM
Posted by: chet
Not read it all so not sure if someone mentioned it but I think the purpose of this is make the teams get more behind saving money. I doubt anyone wants to see this go ahead, so this will, well I hope just be a hurry up for the teams.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 19, 2008 04:44PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
yes, the teams are planning to release a counter-plan for the standard engine proposal, which could have some significant sacrifices that the FIA wanted

Nickv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know what I think? All this standarization
> nonsense is all due to the survey some years back.
> Because what did everybody say? Technology
> shouldn't be the most important. The driver should
> have more influence.
> How to adhere to that? Simply introduce standard
> parts.

there is another one on now if you are interested

[www.ingf1racingmagazinefansurvey.com]

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 20, 2008 01:02AM
Posted by: ROBITUSSIN JR.
This simply wont work, theres no way any of the manufacturers will put an engine designed by somebody else on their cars.
Date: October 20, 2008 03:59AM
Posted by: The_Ozz_Man
This is one of the Stupidest Things they have ever Proposed!!!

Can you Imagine a Ferrari-Mercedes or a Mclaren-Ferrari!!!!

F1 would die in the @rse if they did this

They Should standardise the Gearbox, Suspension, Wheels or even the Bloody Nuts and Bolts before the Engine

If i were the Boss at BMW or Mercedes or any of the big car companies i would be Giving the Flying V's to the FIA and doing something else FOTA World Championship anyone...

The Thunder from Downunder

Date: October 20, 2008 03:30PM
Posted by: J i m
That would the farce that was GPWC all over again.
Date: October 20, 2008 04:08PM
Posted by: Red Sam
It won't happen. This is a regular FIA technique to try to get the teams to agree to move from their current position.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: December 05, 2008 10:05AM
Posted by: Nickv
And the winner is........Cosworth!
Date: December 05, 2008 10:11AM
Posted by: senninho
Indeed - although at least Max is suggesting that teams will still be able to run their own engines.

Aside from that, i can't see the harm of a standardised gearbox - i mean, Xtrac supply half the grid anyway.

Date: December 05, 2008 09:32PM
Posted by: airefresco
Letter from Max to the teams, describing their options.

Max´s letter to the teams

Personally, I don´t think he´ll find 4 teams to sign to Cosworth. Maybe Redbull and Williams, but that´s it.
Date: December 05, 2008 09:45PM
Posted by: Bruninho
The most ridiculous letter that I have ever seen. Standard engine? %$(%$*#$@(!

I want to see teams having free reign in which engine they want to run! V8, V12, V10, whatever they want to run! Bollocks, Ford V8 vs Honda V12 vs Renault V10s were much more interesting than a full grid of V8 engines.

Date: December 05, 2008 09:46PM
Posted by: gav
If it's cheaper and offers the same performance, then all non-manufacturer backed teams will go for it. The only reason not to is if you've got a special deal... ala Force India, but we don't know how much they're paying for that, so it might be worth it to go Cosworth yet.
Date: December 05, 2008 10:10PM
Posted by: Brianf666
As I read it, teams can use the Cosworth 1.8 turbo V8. They can build their own to the Cosworth spec., or they can keep with their 2.4 V8 with performance regulators. These options look more in line with manufacturers thinking whilst still penalising them for being in F1 as a publicity excercise. This will happen in 2010 if no better solution can be found and agreed by all parties. It is also proposed to work towards new style engines in 2013 which should be super efficient units in terms of price, longevity and fuel usage. Clearly the emphasis has finally grown away from the free-spending manufacturers and should entice independents back or into F1. I for one won't be bothered if we go back to the sort of racing and innovation that such a situation brought us before.

My main concern is this. With all but standardised engine and drive train, what will happen to all the different KERS devices that have cost the teams so much? Will they all be accommodated? Will one technology or system be given a contract to be in all cars? Has this anything to do with the unconfirmed report that Williams have won the contract to supply standard flywheel systems to the sport? Lots of things are falling into place. Seems to me its a done deal.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: December 05, 2008 11:31PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
1.8l Turbo V8 vs 2.4l N/A V8... smells like the battles of the 1980s. I assume there'll be a limit on boost and specific placement of the pop-off valve to limit power like we had in the 80s.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: December 05, 2008 11:42PM
Posted by: willward
f1 is going down

Date: December 06, 2008 08:11PM
Posted by: J i m
Maybe it needs to for a while.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy