Here we go, standard engine.

Posted by kimiraik 
Here we go, standard engine.
Date: October 17, 2008 11:19AM
Posted by: kimiraik
Re: Here we go, standard engine.
Date: October 17, 2008 11:44AM
Posted by: airefresco
That misses the next couple of paragraphs, as posted on Formula1.com.

"However, existing teams and engine suppliers could still be allowed to build their own engines, providing they are to the same standardised design specified by the third party supplier.

The move to a single engine is one of several ideas being proposed by the FIA as a means of further reducing costs and increasing competitiveness in the sport, which already has a freeze on engine development."
I think this is going to end up costing the teams more money as the teams will be concentrating their engine funding on finding away around the rules."

The only teams this will help is FI, Williams, STR and Redbull. Evryone else will spend a fortune trying to optimise the standard design, without clearly breaking any rules.
Date: October 17, 2008 12:07PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
I'd love to see Cosworth table something. Be good to see that same screaming V8 they had in the back of the Williams in 2006!

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: October 17, 2008 03:20PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
i dont think a completely standard engine is necessarily the right move. as the toyota boss said, there shouldn't be a knee-jerk reaction unless they are sure it will benefit the sport in the long term

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 17, 2008 03:39PM
Posted by: sasjag
we need equalised, not standardised :\

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: October 17, 2008 03:55PM
Posted by: razgriz
come on now men,are they kidding us? wtf!,audience should have the right, like making a poll (ex.what engine you prefer to roar for 2010 - ( A )V.12 ( B )V.10, ( C )turbo charger ( D )CRDI Fuel injection) haha like that!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2008 04:01PM by razgriz.
Date: October 17, 2008 03:56PM
Posted by: J i m
turkey_machine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd love to see Cosworth table something. Be good
> to see that same screaming V8 they had in the back
> of the Williams in 2006!

That wouldn't happen. Not only was the Cosworth F1 operation disbanded, but I'd hazard a guess that the standard engine would be a very different spec to the initial 2.4 Litre V8 era.
Date: October 17, 2008 04:05PM
Posted by: marwood82
The FIA are clearly worried that given the way the costs seem to have spiralled in recent years, coupled with the current financial climate one or more of the car makers may decide to pull out.

this presents problem for the FIA that they haven’t had before. 15-20 years ago, when a manufacturer upped and left, the fallout was mainly just 1 or 2 teams without an engine. This was usually solved by buying in a cosworth or judd or something else for 12 months(engines which were solid if unspectacular though in the right chassis could spring the odd suprise)
and spend a season or 2 in the midfield until you sorted something out more long term.

the issue now is that if one of them leaves, not only do you potentially leave teams without an engine,(with the judd/cosworth/etc, option no longer available), you also loose 2 cars from the grid.

With the field down to 20 cars already, can F1 really afford to loose any more?

There don't seem to be many potential replacements lining up, either from other car makers or from F3,GP2 etc

i applaud them for trying to do something to secure the long term future of F1, whether this is the way to go remains to be seen.

trying to balance the needs of works backed teams with big budgets and privateers with smaller ones is very difficult,
i don't think any single class series that has tried has managed to get it %100 right so far.(its also an issue that the BTCC seems to be wrestling with at the moment)

Its tricky, do you try to make it more appealing for independents and try to boost the numbers on the grid? Or do try to keep the car makers happy in the hope that they’ll all stick around for longer?
Date: October 17, 2008 04:10PM
Posted by: J i m
I think the FOM should also help with the cut cutting, by reducing fees for the race promoters, the ridiculous 10% increase each year.

For Bernie to talk of cost cutting is ever so slightly hypocritical.
Date: October 17, 2008 04:20PM
Posted by: marwood82
J i m Wrote:
> I think the FOM should also help with the cut
> cutting, by reducing fees for the race promoters,
> the ridiculous 10% increase each year.
>
> For Bernie to talk of cost cutting is ever so
> slightly hypocritical.

true, because the promoters pass on those hikes in the ticket prices.
the way things are going, they also risk pricing fans out of it too.
Date: October 18, 2008 02:54AM
Posted by: Sauber89
If F1 does this it's the end, whats the difference to indy car then? it's bullshit.

Date: October 18, 2008 03:41AM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
I hate this crap, next years aero rules and this engine crap is making F1 suck.
Date: October 18, 2008 03:42AM
Posted by: mr.napa-br
I think the easiest way to cut costs would also be the most effective: a simple budget cap. That way, you ensure that they all spend the same, there's no more need to standardize[?] everything, the big companies have a reason to stick around, and the fans don't have to put up with an upgraded A1GP.

These other proposals bind the engeneers to such a strict rulebook that there's less and less room for creativity and innovation, all they do is see who cheats better, and, IMO, that's not the way to go.
Date: October 18, 2008 03:48AM
Posted by: sasjag
the problem with a budget cap is manufacturers could write a lot off as standard R&D for their road departments

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: October 18, 2008 03:52AM
Posted by: mr.napa-br
Then maybe the strictness of the rulebook would be shifted towards preventing that kind of exploit, instead of refraining innovative ideas. I think that's doable, really. Can't be worse than what we have now, can it?
Date: October 18, 2008 06:11AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
You want to make F1 more economically viable for the teams. Kick Bernie's money grubbing ass to the curb, spread around the revenue, lower costs for promoters, and viola! A thriving series with multi car grids like the old days...

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: October 18, 2008 05:58PM
Posted by: Bruninho
standard engines?

what a joke. i hope it doesnt happen...

Date: October 18, 2008 06:42PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Jagdpanzer Wrote:
> You want to make F1 more economically viable for
> the teams. Kick Bernie's money grubbing ass to the
> curb, spread around the revenue, lower costs for
> promoters, and viola! A thriving series with multi
> car grids like the old days...

Bernies money has nothing to do with the cost of running a Formula 1 team.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 19, 2008 11:15AM
Posted by: Team CLR
SchueyFan Wrote:
as the toyota boss
> said, there shouldn't be a knee-jerk reaction
> unless they are sure it will benefit the sport in
> the long term

But knee-jerk reaction rule changes are what the FIA does best these days.

Date: October 19, 2008 11:17AM
Posted by: Nickv
You know what I think? All this standarization nonsense is all due to the survey some years back. Because what did everybody say? Technology shouldn't be the most important. The driver should have more influence.
How to adhere to that? Simply introduce standard parts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy