> Luck
> -noun
> good fortune; advantage or success, considered as
> the result of chance
>
> It is impossible to make your own luck, as luck is
> the result of chance. If you make your own luck
> then it is no longer luck.

Dont be silly, luck isnt anything that will fall in your hands while you are sleeping or in a chair waiting. You have to make it happen. your acts are what creates luck, which by then is the result of a chance of you doing anything.

Re: Bruno Senna to test for Honda
Date: October 20, 2008 10:54PM
Posted by: Nickv
Bruninho, can you for once just properly reply to wait is written here? Just for once? Please?

EDIT: Tell us, how do I make luck? If you don't know, you can't make luck simply because you don't know how to make it. Therefore it would be a factor you can't influence, so it's impossible to make luck.

I look forward to your answer. I can't wait to make luck myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2008 10:55PM by Nickv.
Date: October 20, 2008 10:59PM
Posted by: Sapo
That's quite a filosophic discussion your guys are having here :) Nice!

My contribution: In holland we say: Geluk dwing je af. Can't really translate it in English, may be Nick can help?

You can't make your own luck indeed, but somehow it seems you can increase your chances on having luck. Like soccerteams which are already on a winning streak, seems to hit the pole lesser than their opponents, (as teams which are in a negative period, seem to hit the pole more for example).

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: October 20, 2008 10:59PM
Posted by: Bruninho
Nickv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bruninho, can you for once just properly reply to
> wait is written here? Just for once? Please?
>
> EDIT: Tell us, how do I make luck? If you don't
> know, you can't make luck simply because you don't
> know how to make it. Therefore it would be a
> factor you can't influence, so it's impossible to
> make luck.
>
> I look forward to your answer. I can't wait to
> make luck myself.

Same, I look forward to your answer, I cant wait to have luck "by magic" here...

oh come on. thats bs, theres no such thing like luck falling in your hands, its a direct result of your acts, hence why "you make your own luck".

Date: October 20, 2008 11:04PM
Sapo Wrote:
> Like soccerteams which are already on a
> winning streak, seems to hit the pole lesser than
> their opponents, (as teams which are in a negative
> period, seem to hit the pole more for example).

In this case, its purely because of how these teams are playing, they did their own luck by choosing to play in a way which resulted in a winning streak. When they do it right, the rest of the things will go well and fall in its places nicely. It's just a matter of working hard for it. And the team who is winning is ofc working hard for it.

Luck is not a thing that will just happen from nothing. A lazy guy who just sleeps everyday wont win a lottery game from nothing; he PLAYED, he filled his bet, and the luck of winning it was a DIRECT RESULT of his act (playing). see? Things dont happen from nothing, you have to make them happen by your actions.

Date: October 20, 2008 11:10PM
@ Sapo: I think it would pretty much translate to 'you make your own luck'. As for the football team example, I think that's more momentum. Everything's going well, you get more confident, maybe more precise, you know what to do. I think that's something in the head. Maybe someone else can explain it further as it's not really my terrain.

Bruninho schreef:
> Nickv Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Bruninho, can you for once just properly reply
> to
> > wait is written here? Just for once? Please?
> >
> > EDIT: Tell us, how do I make luck? If you don't
> > know, you can't make luck simply because you
> don't
> > know how to make it. Therefore it would be a
> > factor you can't influence, so it's impossible
> to
> > make luck.
> >
> > I look forward to your answer. I can't wait to
> > make luck myself.
>
> Same, I look forward to your answer, I cant wait
> to have luck "by magic" here...
>
> oh come on. thats bs, theres no such thing like
> luck falling in your hands, its a direct result of
> your acts, hence why "you make your own luck".

It might be me, but you still haven't explained how I make luck. And you have already forgotten what Dave said about luck:

Luck
-noun
good fortune; advantage or success, considered as the result of chance

It's definately not magic.
Compare it to a game of Monopoly. There is always someone who will always avoid the big payments. That's a direct consequence of him rolling the dice. A dice has six sides, with all of them having an equal chance of getting on top. He has no influence on that, he can't bring himself in that situation. He can't make luck. He just rolls the dice, he hasn't got any influence on it, if he rolls it properly. He can't steer it, can't bring it in the position so he can get the right side up. This guy is the so called LUCKY bastard.

That is called luck. A thing you can't have influence on. Not in Monopoly, not in racing, not in anything.
Date: October 20, 2008 11:14PM
Luck is not a thing that will just happen from nothing. A lazy guy who just sleeps everyday wont win a lottery game from nothing; he PLAYED, he filled his bet, and the luck of winning it was a DIRECT RESULT of his act (playing). see? Things dont happen from nothing, you have to make them happen by your actions.

How is entering a lottery luck? Of course you can't win a lottery if you don't buy a ticket.
You need to see it this way: the man bought his ticket, his ticket is dropped in the big hat, his ticket is picked out again at the big winner. He has influence on getting the ticket in the hat, because he entered the lottery. But he hasn't got any influence on the fact that his ticket came out as the winning number.
Date: October 20, 2008 11:15PM
when he rolls the dice, hes doing his own luck!!!!! whether its bad or good luck, its not the point, hes doing his luck in this very moment.

Date: October 20, 2008 11:19PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Which goes back to my point, you can do everything right but it is not up to you to win and in your example, to have the ticket selected or the correct number come up when you roll the dice.
Date: October 20, 2008 11:21PM
Of course it's the point! That's what this whole discussion is about. Whether you can make luck. And the definition of luck is good fortune; advantage or success. That's hardly the same as bad luck, is it?
Date: October 20, 2008 11:54PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Date: October 20, 2008 09:15PM
Posted by: Bruninho (IP Logged)

when he rolls the dice, hes doing his own luck!!!!! whether its bad or good luck, its not the point, hes doing his luck in this very moment.

No offense intended, but you don't seem to understand luck.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 21, 2008 12:31AM
jesus christ...

When you roll your dice, you are doing your luck - whether it will be good or not, I DONT CARE, in this very moment you are doing your bad or good luck by getting the desired or undesired result.

@Guimengo: "Which goes back to my point, you can do everything right but it is not up to you to win and in your example, to have the ticket selected or the correct number come up when you roll the dice."

ofc its up to you to win OR NOT. It was never explicit that you do good luck... i was defending that you do your own luck as in, a good or bad luck. Doesnt matter which one, i was talking about both. When you buy a ticket, whether if you have made your own BAD or GOOD luck by buying the winning or wrong ticket, it doesnt matter, because you are still doing your luck. GET IT NOW?

@DaveEllis: No offense intended, but you dont seem to understand it either.

Date: October 21, 2008 12:45AM
Posted by: SexySam182
Bruninho Wrote:
A hell of a lot of rubbish.

Date: October 21, 2008 07:41AM
Posted by: The_Ozz_Man
This Has Gotten Out Of Hand!!

You Can Make your Own Luck but in my experience it's usually a fluke when you do.

all the Bagging of Rubans and Massa is a bit unfair I mean they are in the top one percent of racing drivers in the entire world right now Rubans might be slowing down a bit but in the past he put in some ripper drives that have been mentioned in previous posts. And Massa is still a little unreliable but is coming along well sense MS showed him a few things

And All the stuff About them Being Number two at Ferrari and "Selling Out" Is complete BS
Put it this way your a up and coming F1 Driver, Your Phone Rings, It's Ferrari "Gday <Insert your name here> we want you to sign a multi year Deal with Our Formula One Team, you will be the partner of Michael Schumacher and if needed you will have to help him win the WDC, but we will let you race and win when you can as well learning from the best drive in the grid we will pay you a large salary and you will get to live the dream of racing for Ferrari" If the next words out of your Mouth are NOT where can i sign you should call the local Nuthouse and ask about a nice padded room.

Look at 1999 MS Busted his Legs Eddie had the Shot this could have happened every year with RB and Massa were in Ferrari

But apart from all that Bruninho answer me this How Many Formula One Races Have You Won?

I am going to guess it's Zero like the rest of us here so i think you should cut them some slack for just being there let alone both of them winning Multiple Grand Prix and Massa still being in the hunt for the World Championship

With Nelson and Bruno it's a wait and see Piquet has been pretty below average all year had a couple of good results when they fell into his lap, that said he still had to take advantage of the situation. Senna has done well in GP2 and until he tests/races in a F1 Car we won't/Can't know how good he is.

The Thunder from Downunder

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2008 07:52AM by The_Ozz_Man.
Date: October 21, 2008 09:22AM
Posted by: J i m
I think Bruninho is confusing his own opinion with fact.

Luck is a completely random and unpredictable factor, therefore you can not possibly have any control over it.

Nobody can "make" luck.

In life as in sport you can certainly take as many precautions as you like to minimise the risk of something bad happening, but ultimately you can't account for random and completely unexpected factor.

Imagine for one moment, Bruninho, that you're waiting at the traffic lights to cross the road. You're standing on the path and quite responsibly looking at the traffic and minding your own business in general. Suddenly with out warning some nutter pushes you from behind and you're forced out into the road and then hit by a car.

Did you make your own bad luck? No of course you didn't you would have no way of knowing that would happen and have no reasonable chance of influencing it. Therefore you can not have "made" the luck.
Date: October 21, 2008 10:01AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
Bruninho Wrote:
> Whatever, it doesnt change the fact that you do
> your own luck and that: Jenson is THE BEST, will
> stay with Honda, and his teammate is a sore loser
> retiring from F1 after a career that could be
> described as EPIC FAIL.

I think thats the best post i have ever read.

Fact is, even ITV have given up on button, now they lick hamiltons rear end.

Date: October 21, 2008 11:06AM
What Bruno doesn't seem to understand is that luck is a positive thing. He thinks luck is both good and bad luck. But if that's luck, how can someone every be lucky?

Also, I was just thinking. You say that everything happening to you is done by yourself. What is happening is a direct consequence for your actions.

Going by that line, isn't Piquet sucking then not his fault, isntead that of the car, the bump, the other driver, or whatever? Just his fault? He put himself in that situation, if we follow your theory.
Knowing that, how can you possibly blame all those things? You are again contradicting yourself.
Date: October 21, 2008 03:34PM
Posted by: marcl
I know you dont like RB but his F1 days have not been a FAIL.

He has won races set a record for the most starts.

A lot of drivers would be happy to have driven a ferrari and won races, its not his fault ferrari had a no1 and no2.
Date: October 21, 2008 07:00PM
The_Ozz_Man Wrote:
And All the stuff About them Being Number two at
> Ferrari and "Selling Out" Is complete BS
> Put it this way your a up and coming F1 Driver,
> Your Phone Rings, It's Ferrari "Gday we want you
> to sign a multi year Deal with Our Formula One
> Team, you will be the partner of Michael
> Schumacher and if needed you will have to help him
> win the WDC, but we will let you race and win when
> you can as well learning from the best drive in
> the grid we will pay you a large salary and you
> will get to live the dream of racing for Ferrari"
> If the next words out of your Mouth are NOT where
> can i sign you should call the local Nuthouse and
> ask about a nice padded room.

>

Let's take it into a hyphotetical world...

Why? Just because I prefer to follow my principles? I hate Ferrari, its a well know fact here. I dont need a Ferrari, there are better drives in the grid :).

"learning from the best drive in the grid" ? ROFLMAO you mean, learning how TO CHEAT eh? No thanks.

Frankly, the whole "Ferrari Dream" thing is overrated IMO, I have never dreamed of driving a Ferrari in my life, because I dont want to drive for bastards who does cheats in every race! Ferrari history means nothing to me, I have seen teams with a better history than them, which attracted me more.

> both of them winning
> Multiple Grand Prix and Massa still being in the
> hunt for the World Championship
>

Seven points lead, SuperLewis already won it, he just needs to finish the race in fifth place. Game over.

> With Nelson and Bruno it's a wait and see Piquet
> has been pretty below average all year had a
> couple of good results when they fell into his
> lap, that said he still had to take advantage of
> the situation. Senna has done well in GP2 and
> until he tests/races in a F1 Car we won't/Can't
> know how good he is.

As i predicted at Melbourne, it was Piquet's learning season, and i also predicted that towards the end of the season he'd improve steadily, and so far so good, a second place, points, he had already learned a lot so far. Mistakes? Which rookie doesnt makes mistakes? Better now than at the end of your career (David Crashturd). Next year he'll go for it. He has had a better first season than his father, which is a good indication!

And about Bruno Senna. he's the next BIG THING. Lewis is screwed now.

Date: October 21, 2008 07:09PM
I remember Hamilton was the exact same amount of points ahead last year and he lost...

As about the big thing, I'd like to think that Giedo van der Garde is the next big thing. I'd like to think he'd destroy everything else. I just don't know it yet because he hasn't raced against the world's greatest aka F1. Neither has Bruno Senna, so you can't know it yet if he's the next big thing. It's all hypothetical. Speculating. Guessing.

Also, I don't see any reason why you keep comparing Piquet Sr and Jr. It's not relevant. That they are father and son won't mean they will have the same carreer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy