Kubia - Title Contender

Posted by Shinnbob 
Kubia - Title Contender
Date: October 13, 2008 11:14PM
Posted by: Shinnbob
If only BMW had carried on developement at the same rate after the victory in Canada and the middle of the season.

Anyone else think Kubica has been ddriver of the year? With a developed BMW i serious feel he would have an extra 10 points overall and be solidly a title contender

Re: Kubia - Title Contender
Date: October 13, 2008 11:21PM
Posted by: gav
Clear driver of the year.

Completely understand BMWs decision though. Doubt many would have expected him to have a shot at the title with 2 races to go (not that he's got much hope anyway, but you know).

Alonso's the only guy who's been close in my opinion, but he's thrown it away too many times while busting his balls trying to keep up (which isn't a complaint). Not to take anything away from Robert, but Alonso in his position this year would have been very, very interesting.
Re: Kubica - Title Contender
Date: October 13, 2008 11:47PM
Posted by: Bruninho
someone please update the title of the thread :P its KubiCa :)

and I agree. Apart of silverstone Kubica has been doing well.

Date: October 13, 2008 11:52PM
Posted by: Gaulty
In Aus he was unlucky due to Nakajima incompetence. In GB he was unlucky due to the appauling conditions, where 1 driver made no mistake.

Aside from that, he got our first pole, and was desperatly unlucky not to get ones in aus and canada, he got our first win, he's still in the title hunt, which is better than Raikkonen and Kovalainen, two drivers in supposedly better cars, has yet to have a mechanical failure all year, as with Heidfeld.

Honestly, if Heidfeld didn't have them qualy issues, BMW could easily be top of the constructors too. And I hope he wins it as Massa and Hamilton have been too inconsistent.

Team Owner of ItalianEnglish Dynamics in GPG Super League
GP4 Season 5: 7) Jethro Walters. 8) Zsigmond Somogyi. TD) Stuart Ingers and Joel Henrique
GP3 Season 5: 14) Nathan Turner. 15) Tobias Kederer.
6 Time Race Winners
Date: October 13, 2008 11:52PM
Posted by: Nickv
Robert hasn't been doing well, he's been doing great! It's not that Heidfeld is doing so bad, Robert is just so good.
Date: October 14, 2008 12:06AM
Posted by: BAR#10
Funilly enough, for me Kubica disappered into oblivion after Canada. Sure he was up there, but was anyone paying attention?
Now he's back in the public eye, and if he wins it ... well re-editing of the F1 DVD 2008 will be very tricky:p

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP
Date: October 14, 2008 12:56AM
Posted by: chet
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Clear driver of the year.
>
> Completely understand BMWs decision though. Doubt
> many would have expected him to have a shot at the
> title with 2 races to go (not that he's got much
> hope anyway, but you know).
>
> Alonso's the only guy who's been close in my
> opinion, but he's thrown it away too many times
> while busting his balls trying to keep up (which
> isn't a complaint). Not to take anything away from
> Robert, but Alonso in his position this year would
> have been very, very interesting.

Driver of the year, disagree, I still say Alonso. Your comments are Alonso are more than fair, he has had his moments but still apart from the few moments he has been simply mindblowing. He may not have done his statistics any good this year but he has certainly cemented the opinion of him being currently the most complete F1 driver, and probably still the best. This year has done more good than bad for Alonso. Maybe not in terms of results on paper, then again that too is debatable, but imo the general opinion of Alonso has improved.

This will really go down as a year where the top runners lost it themselves.

Had Shumacher been in F1 he would have already won. Had Alonso still been in a top team he imo would have already won. For Kimi and Lewis it is impossible to question their raw speed, but they both lack a key element which Alonso seems have.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 14, 2008 01:07AM
Posted by: marcl
You know the only mistake kubica had this year was silverstone when he was 3rd, can you imagine if he had not messed up?

He would have got 2nd in that race as he was ahead of Nick, he would be 4 points off Lewis right now.
Date: October 14, 2008 01:19AM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
Kubica not only is a great driver but has the luck to be working in a team that is not screwing him too, so putting everything together we have this situation today, can only imagine where would be Ferrari had they worked like BMW
Date: October 14, 2008 01:51AM
Posted by: Bruninho
I'd say that Kubica is the most improved driver of the year, and Alonso is the best of the year.

And Vettel for "revelation" of the year.

Date: October 14, 2008 02:07AM
Posted by: Karan
One of the steadiest, and most consistent drivers I've seen in a long time. Amazing to see how level headed he is, for such a young guy. Massa and Hamilton could stand to learn a few things from Robert's attitude :)

Date: October 14, 2008 06:04AM
Posted by: ROBITUSSIN JR.
He definetly has been better than Lulu and Massa, he also seems to be a very bright fella who isn't afraid to speak his mind. While his driving is not flashy he has been the most consistent, so I have to give him the title of best driver this year.
Date: October 14, 2008 07:16AM
Posted by: The_Ozz_Man
He has done well but i really doubt he will walk off with the Title

Next year should be a ripper of a fight if BMW and Renault can close the Gap to the Ferrar and Mclaren could be a classic the likes of which we have not seen sence the 1980's!!!

The Thunder from Downunder

Date: October 14, 2008 09:07AM
Posted by: J i m
You're forgetting that the new regulations will probably spread it out a bit.

I highly doubt we'll see a four way fight for the constructors.
Date: October 14, 2008 11:08AM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
as said, if only bmw had decided to develop tis year's car more he might have actually had a GOOD shot at the world title!

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: October 14, 2008 11:20AM
Tbh he has done a good job but its more a case of the other drivers doing a poor job. The BMW would have needed a lot of work to make it a real title winning car.

By rights Lewis, Kovy, Massa and kimi should all be ahead of him but some way (in the case of Lewis and Massa).
Date: October 14, 2008 11:22AM
Posted by: red 5
If they stopped developing '08 car after Canada and focused on '09 contender, than I think they surely must have big advantage over other teams concerning '09 contender. Because I think neither Mclaren nor Ferrari started on '09 car that early on.

But it really is a shame they gave up on this season after their canada win. It was sort of mission accomplished for 2008, lets move on to 2009.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2008 11:23AM by red 5.
Date: October 14, 2008 11:44AM
Posted by: gav
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tbh he has done a good job but its more a case of
> the other drivers doing a poor job. The BMW would
> have needed a lot of work to make it a real title
> winning car.

It's a bit like Frentzen's '99. Taking advantage when you can, but otherwise, just having a damn good and consistent season, finding himself somewhere near the top come squeaky bum time.

We'll never know how BMW would have gone if they'd stuck to '99. They may have been closer, but if they ended up a genuine contender, they will have been under more pressure, and perhaps make mistakes like Ferrari did in Singapore, or Kubica could have crumbled like Hamilton did last year.

As to their '09 car, it's hard to know. In one sense they've had more time, but if a big new idea appeared after perhaps the German GP or something, then they'd have to adapt their car to support it, rather having it sewn into the very base of it. It can swing 2 ways. They'll presumably have more knowledge as they've had more time to test it, but perhaps won't have an optimised car if other teams find something novel.

I sound like Ron Dennis with his love of buzz words.

What about Renault? Do they still have 2 development teams on a cycle?
Date: October 14, 2008 11:57AM
This years BMW suits Kubica, remember last year and the year before. He did not look that great then. Also when he was not getting all the attention of the team Nick started getting better results. Does this mean BMW do not have enough resources to look after 2 cars?

I think he has had a great year but lets see what happens next year.
Date: October 14, 2008 01:45PM
Posted by: chet
BMW have pretty much infinite resource, like most of the manufactures atm, well besides Renault.

It was said this year the main development was to try and get Nick better used to the car.

imo I dont think they would have been in a much different posistion had development continued. I havent noticed any major developments on either Ferrari or Mclaren, just the expected race specific stuff which I imagine BMW have also done.

Renault are an interesting one. These two wins have probably secured Alonso for next year. If they can win this year why not next year? They have shown improvment and isnt that what Alonso wanted to see? But then you have to wonder how much resource have they dedicated to the final part of the year compare to the rest. They're clearly in front of Toyota now, and RedBull and STR.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy