Canadian Grand Prix AXED from 2009

Posted by ralv585 
Re: Canadian Grand Prix AXED from 2009
Date: October 07, 2008 04:21PM
Posted by: Nickv
they are subject to the monsoon season

And that's the very reason they should stay where they are. If the FIA keeps kicking out decent tracks we need SOMETHING to make races more exiting.
Date: October 07, 2008 04:38PM
Posted by: EC83
Looking on the bright side - Montreal was axed from one season in the 80s(1987 I think it was) and was reinstated the year after. Hopefully the same might happen again. Late September/early October would defo be a good time to hold it if that happens. It would make more sense to run all the European races in succession.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 04:39PM by EC83.
Date: October 07, 2008 04:39PM
Posted by: kerleyf1
Ecclestone and FIA guys are CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE VISIT: Grand Prix Mods Blog
Date: October 07, 2008 04:45PM
Nickv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they are subject to the monsoon season
>
> And that's the very reason they should stay where
> they are. If the FIA keeps kicking out decent
> tracks we need SOMETHING to make races more
> exiting.

Exactly... Keep the Singapore-Fuji-Shanghai succession the way it is, all held around this time of year. Then, if Montreal does make a return at some time it could be slotted in between Monza/end of European season and Singapore.

Date: October 07, 2008 05:15PM
Posted by: msater
This is a stupid decision!!!! I totally agree with Briere, they should hold the race in mid October!!! I wonder if Bernie was involved in this?

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: October 07, 2008 05:29PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Here's hoping it gets re-instated for 2010. I really wanted to go to the Canadian GP, so I hope 2008 was not the last...

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: October 07, 2008 06:10PM
Posted by: Team CLR
gav Wrote:
What a load of bollocks. One of, if not the best
track on the calendar. Have your money spinners in
Abu Dhabi by all means, but keep some of the old
stuff.

We're now left with:

- Melbourne (though relatively modern, it's kind
of an old school track)
- Monaco (neutered)
- Donington perhaps (though not traditionally an
F1 circuit, we still don't know if it will happen,
and if it does to what extent it will be neutered)
- Hockenheim (drastically neutered)
- Spa (neutered)
- Monza (neutered)
- Suzuka (every other year, and again, they've
neutered the best corner)
- Interlagos

Just move F1 to the deserts and far east. @#$%&
the fans.
------------
Nickv Wrote:
With you coming up with those circuits, I've been
counting. 12 out of 18 circuit have had Tilke
involved in some way. That's 2 out of 3. It's
pathetic.
---------------

I agree with both of you. F1 is losing it's flavour and fast. Tracks like Spa and Hockenheim can consider themselves fortunate that they've only been "neutered", when in comparison to a place like Suzuka which has undergone a chop AND only gets one race every 2 years, and Canada who can't get anything at all!

Bernie's obession with the desert needs to stop, one race there is enough, 2-3 races there means the character is lost. He's looking soley at the $$, I mean where was the passion for motorsports in these countries 20, 15, or 10 years ago? Now all of a sudden they want to host races of the pinnacle motorsports series in the world? Please.

As for the "Tilkedromes" this is looking dodgy, it seems that ALMOST every new track has the same designer, and even spectator favourites are having to make way for them.

I think Gav's sentiment of "Just move F1 to the deserts and far east. @#$%& the fans." might be accurate, I mean heck, we are afterall just the poor saps who all the car and track sponsorship is aimed at anyway...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 06:12PM by Team CLR.
Date: October 07, 2008 06:14PM
Posted by: matt3454
Whats happened to Suzuka?

Date: October 07, 2008 06:57PM
Posted by: Bruninho
Team CLR Wrote:
> gav Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> What a load of bollocks. One of, if not the best
> track on the calendar. Have your money spinners
> in
> Abu Dhabi by all means, but keep some of the old
> stuff.
>
> We're now left with:
>
> - Melbourne (though relatively modern, it's kind
> of an old school track)
> - Monaco (neutered)
> - Donington perhaps (though not traditionally an
> F1 circuit, we still don't know if it will
> happen,
> and if it does to what extent it will be
> neutered)
> - Hockenheim (drastically neutered)
> - Spa (neutered)
> - Monza (neutered)
> - Suzuka (every other year, and again, they've
> neutered the best corner)
> - Interlagos
>
> Just move F1 to the deserts and far east. @#$%&
> the fans.
> ------------
> Nickv Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> With you coming up with those circuits, I've
> been
> counting. 12 out of 18 circuit have had Tilke
> involved in some way. That's 2 out of 3. It's
> pathetic.
> ---------------
>
> I agree with both of you. F1 is losing it's
> flavour and fast. Tracks like Spa and Hockenheim
> can consider themselves fortunate that they've
> only been "neutered", when in comparison to a
> place like Suzuka which has undergone a chop AND
> only gets one race every 2 years, and Canada who
> can't get anything at all!
>
> Bernie's obession with the desert needs to stop,
> one race there is enough, 2-3 races there means
> the character is lost. He's looking soley at the
> $$, I mean where was the passion for motorsports
> in these countries 20, 15, or 10 years ago? Now
> all of a sudden they want to host races of the
> pinnacle motorsports series in the world? Please.
>
> As for the "Tilkedromes" this is looking dodgy, it
> seems that ALMOST every new track has the same
> designer, and even spectator favourites are having
> to make way for them.
>
> I think Gav's sentiment of "Just move F1 to the
> deserts and far east. @#$%& the fans." might be
> accurate, I mean heck, we are afterall just the
> poor saps who all the car and track sponsorship is
> aimed at anyway...

I agree with gav and CLR... jeez, I have never liked any of these tilkedromes completely, but I have to admit that they did a good job with Hockenheim. While the old track was a boring piece of (censored), with bloody long straights, the new one is much better, in every aspect, including in racing games. I love the hairpin that they've put there.

Its quite hilarious when we look at the guys here moaning about Fuji and Shanghai's long boring straights, I dont like these tracks either, and when we look at the same guys who WANT to see old Hockenhein back...

Seriously... whats the problem of upgrading the good old F1 tracks? Instead of building "tracks" that would provide bore-fests and are only good when a Safety Car comes in to mix up the things?

When F1 talks so much about saving money, cutting costs... they build state-of-art tracks that never provided a good race. I'm pretty sure that the whole money wasted in tracks like Singapore would have been good enough to rebuild Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Zandvoort, Jacarepagua and many other old but damn good tracks to bring them up to Bernie's so called "F1 $tandard$".

Ah I miss the 80's...

Even in racing games these new tilkedromes are bloody boring. It's irritating to drive at Bahrain, for example, because braking there is a $#@#*#@CENSORED*#@*@ headache...

I thought racing was supposed to be fun?

Date: October 07, 2008 07:10PM
We like the old Hockenheim for its character. Going through forests at stupidly high speeds, very low downforce and then get into the stadium where you need all the downforce you have, which is very little. It also provided fairly good racing.
Fuji has a long straight, so has Shanghai, but neither have character.

There is no problem with upgrading tracks themselves. But there are a lot of reasons why tracks were left by F1 in the first place, which isn't just the track. Zandvoort for instance will never host a F1 race due to the sound restrictions. Also, it simply doesn't have the money to upgrade itself. Tracks like Singapore attract a lot of sponsorship because it's new, state of the art, special (night race), or a strange location (desert, like Bahrain). Big companies almost get an orgasm from that, because it's a perfect marketing opportunity. This way new tracks attract a lot of sponsorship.
Zandvoort hasn't got anything from that. Character doesn't count for a company. The only thing that counts is 'can I treat my guests in a comfortable way? Will I make any profit if I sponsor this?' Character doesn't matter, as long as the companies bill boards are visible for a large public. Companies don't want to be tied to a repaired track. They want to be tied to something new, state of the art. Because they all seem to identify themselves with those two things, coincentally, the track owners can offer what the company wants. Something that Zandvoort can't.
Also note that Zandvoort is in the dunes, so there will be a lot of environmentalists demonstrating against upgrading, because you bet it will cover a lot more ground than it does now. The track will need to be widened so cars can actually overtake, there will be loads of parking space needed.
The list of problems needing to be solved at Zandvoort is endless. Accesability, pollution, sound, the surrounding dunes who need to be protected and the list goes on.
I bet the other old tracks have similar or other problems.

Put a track in the middle of nowhere, nobody will complain. Throw some money around and there is your track. Something that can be done within three years. The whole thing, from paper to asphalt. I can't see that happening with Zandvoort, the conversations with environmentalists will be endless.

This is only the example a few problems of one track and is the very reason why old tracks don't get upgraded. Too much hassle and too little money.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 07:27PM by Nickv.
Date: October 07, 2008 07:23PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Team CLR Wrote:
> Tracks like Spa and Hockenheim
> can consider themselves fortunate that they've
> only been "neutered", when in comparison to a
> place like Suzuka which has undergone a chop AND
> only gets one race every 2 years, and Canada who
> can't get anything at all!

Hockenheim is also on rotation, with Nurburgring - so it is level with Suzuka really.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 07, 2008 07:27PM
Posted by: harjinator
is this not a provisional calendar? i'm sure we normally have about 3 provisional calendars every year before the final one gets announced... and how does Magny Cours keep hanging on? never heard anyone from F1 who likes the place...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: October 07, 2008 07:30PM
Posted by: Q1s2
I think its about time us fans came up with our own group and let Bernie and the FIA know what we really think they can only make it better with the fans involved after all without us they would have nothing!!!!
Date: October 07, 2008 07:32PM
We should, but we can't. If more money can be earned at another place, then F1 will go there, whether the fans like it or not because F1 knows that we'll watch anyway.
Date: October 07, 2008 07:42PM
harjinator Wrote:
> and how does Magny Cours keep hanging on? never heard
> anyone from F1 who likes the place...

i think it is because of the country, not the track ;)

anyway, on the 15th October the FFSA will apparently announce four candidates for the 2010 French GP, so there is a 75% chance that next year will be the last GP at magny-cours.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 07, 2008 08:03PM
Posted by: Monza972
aw this sucks, Montreal always produces some best races. Like Sato overtaking a McLaren. Now who thought that would happen?

And next year the GP at Valencia will be called the Mediterranean GP
Date: October 07, 2008 08:04PM
apparently the Canadian officials weren't even informed of the axing

[en.f1-live.com]

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 07, 2008 08:05PM
It won't since the Nurburgring appears to use the title of German GP and then Valencia can use the European GP.
Date: October 07, 2008 08:10PM
Hockenheim (AVD) have told Nurburgring (ADAC) in the recent past that they will not pass on the 'German GP' name, so unless there has been a change recently Nurburgring or Valencia will need a new name.

Just because the provisional calendar mentions German GP may not mean anything, the provisional calendar for 2007 had Nurburgring as the German GP as well, but that was changed after the dispute.

Why not a return to 'Luxembourg GP' for Nurburgring? ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 07, 2008 08:17PM
matt3454 Wrote:
> Whats happened to Suzuka?

A few years back the 130R corner got "re-profiled" with the help of Herrmann the good samaritan. Think it after Allan McNish had his huge crash there in qualifying in 2002.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy