Canadian Grand Prix AXED from 2009

Posted by ralv585 
Canadian Grand Prix AXED from 2009
Date: October 07, 2008 03:03PM
Posted by: ralv585
From F1-live.com

An extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) was held in Paris today. The most significant decision was the dropping of the Canadian Grand Prix from the schedule meaning that North America no longer has a Formula One race.

The revised 18-race calendar now features a traditional summer break between the Hungarian and European Grand Prix while Abu Dhabi will host its first Grand Prix right at the end of the season. Tickets for the 2009 are currently on sale on the official website of the Canadian Grand Prix.

In other news, Marco Piccinini, FIA Deputy President for Sport, confirmed that he is to leave his position, one year before the end of his term, to focus on his other professional commitments.

The WMSC unanimously agreed to give the FIA President authority to negotiate with the Formula One Teams Association (FOTA) the introduction of radical measures to achieve a substantial reduction of costs in the championship from 2010. Failing agreement with FOTA, the FIA will enforce the necessary measures to achieve this goal.
Click here to find out more!

It was further unanimously agreed to allow Formula One teams to equalise engine performance across the field for 2009, pending the introduction of cost-saving measures from 2010.

2009 FIA Formula One World Championship

29 March Australia
5 April Malaysia
19 April Bahrain
10 May Spain
24 May Monaco
7 June Turkey
21 June Great Britain
28 June France
12 July Germany
26 July Hungary
23 August Europe (Valencia)
30 August Belgium
13 September Italy
27 September Singapore
11 October Japan
18 October China
1 November Brazil
15 November Abu Dhabi

Re: Canadian Grand Prix AXED from 2009
Date: October 07, 2008 03:05PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
No! I love the Canadian GP! The Montreal track is fantastic, and with no US GP i would have thought that the Canadian GP would be safe as the North American GP

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 07, 2008 03:07PM
Posted by: Briere
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: October 07, 2008 03:08PM
yes, this is completely out of the blue! The only reason i can think of is the poor track surface at this year's race - but surely that isn't enough to remove the track all together

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 07, 2008 03:18PM
Posted by: Nickv
F1 has gone mad! Why are bloody Barcelona, Magny-Cours and Hungaroring still on the calendar and Montreal, a great track, is being removed? There hasn't been a single bad or boring race in Canada as far as I can remember!
Date: October 07, 2008 03:21PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
what a decline, they passed from 4 - 5 races in American continent (Mexico,Argentina,USA,Canada,Brazil) to just 1 ( Brazil)
Date: October 07, 2008 03:23PM
Posted by: Razorsedge
Ugh. I disagree with this decision. Also a big fan of the event.

Oh well...I'm sure Abu Dhabi (under lights?) will be very...modern.

Date: October 07, 2008 03:24PM
I've just called my girlfriend to tell her the bad news, and she suggested something quite good. Why not put the race back in fall ? With lower temps, no more bad tarmac, and it would be good after the last european round. Instead of heading east, teams would head west to here and then go back to west again for asian/brazilian rounds.

Not a bad idea actually.
Date: October 07, 2008 03:27PM
yes, i actually thought of that a few months ago, but i wasn't really sure if the weather would be suitable. you could pair Canada with Brazil, and USA or Mexico if they re-join the calendar some day.

Briere, what do you think would be the latest a Canadian GP could be held before winter weather could interfere?

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 07, 2008 03:27PM
Posted by: gav
What a load of bollocks. One of, if not the best track on the calendar. Have your money spinners in Abu Dhabi by all means, but keep some of the old stuff.

We're now left with:

- Melbourne (though relatively modern, it's kind of an old school track)
- Monaco (neutered)
- Donington perhaps (though not traditionally an F1 circuit, we still don't know if it will happen, and if it does to what extent it will be neutered)
- Hockenheim (drastically neutered)
- Spa (neutered)
- Monza (neutered)
- Suzuka (every other year, and again, they've neutered the best corner)
- Interlagos

Just move F1 to the deserts and far east. @#$%& the fans.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 03:29PM by gav.
Date: October 07, 2008 03:28PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I'm really frustrated!!! Canada is such a nice country, and the Grand Prix was everytime awesome!!! Why this decision??? They should kick Malaysia and Bahrain for it and bring back Canada and USA!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 03:28PM by DJ Rotty.
Date: October 07, 2008 03:29PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Ah that's crap, I was at the track this year when I was in holiday in Canada, looked great

I'm gutted its gone from the calender :(

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: October 07, 2008 03:31PM
I doubt Canada will return for 2009 now, because now Turkey has moved into Canada's slot - which means the summer break returns - leaving no room for Canada, as all the teams wanted a mid-season break

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 07, 2008 03:36PM
Posted by: red 5
Date: October 07, 2008 03:24PM
Posted by: Briere (IP Logged)

I've just called my girlfriend to tell her the bad news, and she suggested something quite good. Why not put the race back in fall ? With lower temps, no more bad tarmac, and it would be good after the last european round. Instead of heading east, teams would head west to here and then go back to west again for asian/brazilian rounds.

Not a bad idea actually.

It would be better if you would populate your country with additional 10 Milion muslims who never ever
heard of F1 but have their own private oil rig in their backyard. Or at least you can wrap up your women in clothes
compltely so that only their eyes are visible, give them their every day beating and tell them to STFU,
so it would at least give impression of middle east, maybe then F1 will return.

Date: October 07, 2008 03:40PM
Posted by: ralv585
red 5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Re: Canadian Grand Prix AXED from 2009
> Date: October 07, 2008 03:24PM
> Posted by: Briere (IP Logged)
>
> I've just called my girlfriend to tell her the bad
> news, and she suggested something quite good. Why
> not put the race back in fall ? With lower temps,
> no more bad tarmac, and it would be good after the
> last european round. Instead of heading east,
> teams would head west to here and then go back to
> west again for asian/brazilian rounds.
>
> Not a bad idea actually.
>
>
> It would be better if you would populate your
> country with additional 10 Milion muslims who
> never ever
> heard of F1 but have their own private oil rig in
> their backyard. Or at least you can wrap up your
> women in clothes
> compltely so that only their eyes are visible,
> give them their every day beating and tell them to
> STFU,
> so it would at least give impression of middle
> east, maybe then F1 will return.

HOLY RACIST RANT BATMAN!!!!

Date: October 07, 2008 03:59PM
SchueyFan Wrote:
> Briere, what do you think would be the latest a
> Canadian GP could be held before winter weather
> could interfere?

Good question Ed. I would say that mid-october would be safer. Normally we get snow aroud late november, but you know what happened in 1978 ;) As a matter of fact, forecast for today is Max 12°C, Min 3°C, Sunny. But later this week temps should be around 18°C, so yes it's raceable. Anything around mid-october would be good as far as weather is concerned
Date: October 07, 2008 04:10PM
Posted by: Bruninho
wtf, thats crap.

Please remove Bahrain, Sepang, Valencia, Singapore, Abu Dhabi, Istanbul, Shanghai but NOT THE GREAT MONTREAL!!! WTF... Disappointed.

Date: October 07, 2008 04:18PM
Posted by: EC83
What?!?!? This decision is just damn ridiculous. Canada hasn't had a single bad race, like you say. No doubt they'll be citing the condition of the track this year or some crappy excuse like that. They seem to be on a mission to get rid of all the tracks that create even decent racing. Barcelona is a snorodrome which produces terrible races, but its place on the calendar is apparently fireproof. Maybe they're trying to slowly create an entire calendar which is made up of boring, mediocre Tilke circuits. Montreal is exciting and actually provides good racing, so it has to go.

Disgusted :(

Date: October 07, 2008 04:19PM
Posted by: Nickv
With you coming up with those circuits, I've been counting. 12 out of 18 circuit have had Tilke involved in some way. That's 2 out of 3. It's pathetic.
Date: October 07, 2008 04:19PM
Briere Wrote:
> SchueyFan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Briere, what do you think would be the latest a
> > Canadian GP could be held before winter weather
> > could interfere?
>
> Good question Ed. I would say that mid-october
> would be safer. Normally we get snow aroud late
> november, but you know what happened in 1978 ;) As
> a matter of fact, forecast for today is Max 12°C,
> Min 3°C, Sunny. But later this week temps should
> be around 18°C, so yes it's raceable. Anything
> around mid-october would be good as far as weather
> is concerned

thanks for the info. based on that, having the season finale in canada won't quite be possible i think. the Australian GP is now at the end of March, and i believe will stay there to capitalise on the extra daylight for European fans, which means the season finale will be at the start of November, or even later if we get up to 20 rounds in a season. As you mentioned above, having canada somewhere close to the end of the season would be good, maybe combined with brazil and the USA in 2010.

Japan and China should move to the middle of the season (where Canada/USA used to be), because in their current position, they are subject to the monsoon season, like Fuji in 2007, Suzuka in 2004 and Shanghai in 2006 and 2007. And then Canada could hopefully slot back in after either Italy or Singapore.

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy