More new photos... this time it's Singapore

Posted by flat tyre 
More new photos... this time it's Singapore
Date: August 07, 2008 09:02PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Formula1.com has got a selection of photos of the new Singapore street circuit (anti-clockwise, which is unusual. Expect drivers to moan about their necks):

[www.formula1.com]

The race isn't too far away now on the 26-28th September. Like the Valencia topic, I've been generous and hand picked what I think are the best pics... with a few added extras ;-)

Just to refresh your memory, here's the layout of the circuit.

The final corner, on the land that was reclaimed especially for the circuit. Looks very nice to me, like Albert Park. I'm also very surprised that there's no run-off at all on this corner, seeing as it's going to be pretty quick, has a sharp angle and was done with advice from Hermann Tilke (though not designed by him - hooray :)):

The pitlane entrance, just round from where the first photo was taken. I don't know if this is how it will be for the race, but it looks pretty dangerous to me. A wall right in the middle of a fast corner, with little room for error. You can also see the lack of run-off for the corner better in this one. Who says the tracks today mean that drivers don't need any balls?!

This is the structure that will be lighting the circuit. Also a big yay for no lack of colour in the grandstands :P

At night it will have a blue tint and will look like this. Also, a first glimpse of the city at night:

The pit building. Looks very McLaren-esque:

The pit straight. It's not a very good pic, but this is all you're going to get for now ;) The cars will be coming the other way around the track, towards the camera. The big empty gaps on the left will be filled by grandstands, whilst no empty gaps will be left on the right, because the noses of the likes of Stefano Domenicali and Ron Dennis hover ominously over us all.

Let's not forget this part of the track that should be quite memorable - the cars will go through a corner underneath the grandstands, appear behind them and then fly underneath the bridge.

Some of the views that we'll see during the race:

The start of the race should be at twilight:

Towards the end of the race, it will get even darker, BOO!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2008 12:07AM by flat tyre.
Re: More new photos... this time it's Singapore
Date: August 07, 2008 09:55PM
Posted by: Bruninho
I still dont like that track...

Date: August 07, 2008 10:15PM
Posted by: chet
I think it looks awesome!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 07, 2008 10:16PM
Posted by: Nickv
Yeah I think it's gonna be great!
Date: August 07, 2008 10:51PM
Posted by: Monza972
I agree, this race is going to be the main turning point of the season
Date: August 07, 2008 11:01PM
Posted by: anze89
Looks interesting, it will be with no doubt a special race (street circuit + night).

Date: August 07, 2008 11:04PM
Posted by: Fincent
Totally new concept but one I'm anticipating eagerly. I don't care whether if it's going the best thing ever to happen to F1 or if it turns out to be an epic fail, I just can't wait to see what it's going to be like :)

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: August 07, 2008 11:24PM
Posted by: brunoboi
Very like Valencia - A bit dull in terms of the actual circuit but the scenery is what makes it spectacular - not sure if scenery makes for a good race though

Date: August 08, 2008 12:01AM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
I am looking foward to thius and hope will see more night races. Flat tyre it won't be that dark because they haven't installed the flood lights for the event yet.
Date: August 08, 2008 12:06AM
Posted by: flat tyre
I know, I was just talking about the sky and the surroundings. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: August 08, 2008 12:37AM
Posted by: gav
brunoboi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very like Valencia - A bit dull in terms of the
> actual circuit but the scenery is what makes it
> spectacular - not sure if scenery makes for a good
> race though

Not at all like Valencia. While Valencia is a Hockenheim mixed with Montreal, this is a proper road-race around the streets. I won't call it a street race, as 'street race' to me means bumps and contours while bouncing around the corners, and this won't be. But it's a hell of a step forward compared to the modern dross we have.

Regarding the layout, while that final couple of corners are dangerous (that's certainly not a bad thing in my mind), I'm not a fan of it. It's like Phoenix without the real challenge. Phoenix was good, but what made it good was the bumps while being millimetres from the walls. None of that is the case here. The bumps will mostly be gone and there's a gap between the line and the wall, so only big mistakes are punished. Why not just have a limit; put a wheel out of line and you're out of the race? Monaco's not exactly a disaster every year with cars off every other corner is it? But it is a big challenge.

To me, the big concern will be if it's wet. If it's so much as drizzling I can see this thing being cancelled, and that goes for all night races. You just won't be able to see, and any biker will agree. That's my main issue.

Promises so much, but as things stand, I think it fails at most things it sets out to do. I hope to be proved wrong.
Date: August 08, 2008 02:12AM
Posted by: Bruninho
I just cant see them at night, let alone in a wet night race. I am against night races, its just a "NASCAR/Indy wannabe" race.. I just dont like it, can't see anything good in it really.

Date: August 08, 2008 02:32AM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
OK, sorry about that flat tyre.
Date: August 08, 2008 02:36AM
Posted by: [>WHAT21A<]
When is rains in singapore it takes about 10-15 minutes to dry again, i learnt that when i was out there for a few weeks so doubt it will ever be a problem.

Track looks like its gonna be a handful and alot of tail out action around the the slower sections.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2008 02:36AM by [>WHAT21A<].
Date: August 08, 2008 07:41AM
Posted by: Peat
Bruninho Wrote:
> I just cant see them at night, let alone in a wet
> night race. I am against night races, its just a
> "NASCAR/Indy wannabe" race.. I just dont like it,
> can't see anything good in it really.

bothered?

Date: August 08, 2008 08:36AM
Posted by: gp3
how many of you here bought tickets to the race?

SG
Date: August 08, 2008 08:54AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
To me, the big concern will be if it's wet. If it's so much as drizzling I can see this thing being cancelled, and that goes for all night races. You just won't be able to see, and any biker will agree. That's my main issue.

I've been reading this a lot and still don't agree.

Daytona 24 - wet, flood lights/night caused no problem
Houston 2007 - very wet, flood lights/night caused no problem - and this was in open wheelers too

I just don't see why F1 is going to have issues with rain (if it happens) if a series like Champ Car could run it fine, despite there terrible organisational and planning skills.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 08, 2008 12:15PM
Posted by: J i m
I agree, if the conditions got a little bit too tricky then all that would happen is that the safety car would be deployed.

Like Dave said, 24 Hour Races usually have rain at some point and sometimes heavy rain, the race always continues even if it's 2 o'clock in the morning and at the darkest hour with minimal lighting in some areas, if things get too slippery safety car comes out.
Date: August 08, 2008 01:10PM
Posted by: gav
DaveEllis Wrote:
> I just don't see why F1 is going to have issues
> with rain (if it happens) if a series like Champ
> Car could run it fine, despite there terrible
> organisational and planning skills.

Because the visor seems to magnify any impurity in your line of sight. Unlike in a car, you can't just move your head slightly to ignore it. That's not too much of an issue in the day time, but at night you've got hundreds of lights hitting you simultaneously, all of which are magnified through the water on the visor.

I never saw that Indycar race, so can't comment on it or what people said, and as I said, ask any biker and they will tell you, they certainly wouldn't want to be the one in the seat in those circumstances. It's a nightmare enough with car headlights or street-lights. How they work the flood lights could help (if they face away from the direction of traffic for instance), if it can essentially turn it into day, increasing ambient light, but we'll see.

It's got nothing to do with how slippery things are Jim. ;-)
Date: August 08, 2008 01:32PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Well at Houston it poured down with rain on a flood lit circuit, at night, and ALMS (with open topped Prototypes of course) and Champ Car (obviously open top) reported no issues, and even scheduled the same race for 2008 (but of course since IRL took over CCWS that won't happen).

It's a tried and tested method for a few series now, so I still don't seen an issue, but I guess we'll find out.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy