Alonso to Honda rumours heating up!

Posted by chet 
Alonso to Honda rumours heating up!
Date: August 04, 2008 03:08PM
Posted by: chet
Quite a few websites, Autosport and Gaurdian have posted that Alonso could be on his way to Honda for a year... in probably place of Rubens.

If its true then iam very much undecided whether it could be good or bad. Good because I like to think JB could at least match Alonso, bad because I know if he doesnt then his career is over and it would be likley his time after would be very limited in F1.

Where I think the problem lies is that Honda are fully convinced Jenson is a god, but Brawn is the one yet to be wonover and probably thinks JB is far too confortable at Honda so maybe isn't doing all he could. So to finally get an answer about how good he really is ( or not!! ) then the Alonso pairing should give us and Ross a few clues! But is Alonso really worth it for a single year?

Anyone think these rumours have any substance or will just remain rumours?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: Alonso to Honda rumours heating up!
Date: August 04, 2008 03:14PM
Posted by: BAR#10
I've read it as well. Since 2009 will see a new set of rules, it's the Brawn factor that makes the Alonso move more likely.
In other news, Glock is apparently confirmed for Toyota.
**the link contains spoilers of Hungarian GP***
[www.autosport.com]

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2008 03:31PM by BAR#10.
Date: August 04, 2008 03:17PM
Posted by: gav
It seems to be snow-balling. What I don't get is why would Alonso go to Honda? They've not improved much (position wise) since last year. They're not going to simply get up to the pace of Renault next year. I said at the end of last year that their problem was a massive one, and it was going to take 5+ years to get back to the position they were in. OK, the 2009 rules might help them, but they'll still be a million miles from regular points in my opinion.

What's in it for him? He doesn't need the money. If he can't get his apparent will to move to Ferrari yet, he'd be better off staying where he is. It's a known quantity. He's got his team-mate in his pocket.

Unless Honda are planning big personnel changes soon, and have a cracker of a car coming, and he's excited by that, then I really don't understand why he'd go there. It seems the sort of place you'd least expect him.
Date: August 04, 2008 03:37PM
On the other hand, gav, it's not like he has anything to lose. What are the odds that Renault will be championship material next year anyway? With Honda saying - if I'm not mistaken - that they are concentrating on the next season, and Brawn bringing his magic input, Honda might just as well be a better option.

Altough this whole announcing of intent to sign, but no confirmation, may just be a poker game, so that Ferrari would jump and say we can't afford to lose this guy, let's sign a.s.a.p., who knows
i've heard rumours too that Kimi will have to decide by september if and for how long will he stay with Ferrari.

GPGSL career;
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP
Date: August 04, 2008 03:37PM
I think the main factor is Ross and KERS. Nick and Ross have also gone and confirmed they do have 4 wind-tunnels at work with one in Japan whci I guess must be an attraction for any driver knowing there is such commitment in the aerodynamics dept.

With the changes Honda made last year and with Ross Brawn at the helm you know Honda are not going to make a duff car for 09. Whether its quick enough or not is another story though. They could be way out in front or maybe even further behind than they are now.

With the regulations being such a change I think Renault and Honda are more or less in the same posistion but Honda does have the resource to adapt and they pretty much have a bottomless pit off money. And with Renault one of the teams wanting to delay KERS I dont think Alonso has much faith in them for next year. btw on the delay of KERS, 6 of the 10 teams agreed to delay it, but the rules state a majority of 7 votes are needed before a decision is made, so it looks like KERS will be in for 09.

The only reason I see Alonso going there is because of next year. Renault have been a disapointment this year and I think the one to really feel it has been Alonso who probably hoped to be on the podium a few times.

Date: August 04, 2008 03:44PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
this would be a bad move in 2009 at least. next year with significant rule changes, there is a good chance to be a shake-up of the pecking order, and renault is a good chance to improve, particularly since they can already focus on 2009 now more so than others such as mclaren and ferrari.

jenson could do worse to swap with alonso if he does move there, although i dont think rubens will want to return to No.2 status again

X (@ed24f1)
Date: August 04, 2008 03:46PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
well if i'm not mt Petrobras will (also) fuel Honda next year, so this theorically comes just in time for Rubens

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2008 03:48PM by Rodrigo007.
Date: August 04, 2008 03:58PM
Posted by: stipe
I read that that is just one year before he goes to ferrari in 2010.
[www.pitpass.com]
Date: August 04, 2008 04:09PM
Posted by: Monza972
just read this on F1Live. Very surprising, but i think he might just stick around at Renault and then do the Ferrari switch in '10
Date: August 04, 2008 04:26PM
Posted by: sasjag
I think his reasoning may be that the problem with the Renault is engine, and teh problem with the Honda is the aero, and the way teh rules are now, it's probably more 'feasible' to turn the Honda into a decent car. Also, with an experienced team mate such as jenson, it would probably be easier to develop teh car than with a rookie such as Piquet Jr.

It would be a step backwards, but its not as if he's fighting for podiums each week is it, hes barelty scraping points.

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: August 04, 2008 04:48PM
Posted by: Frantic
With FA and Ross Brawn in the winter Honda would have a very good development i think...

Date: August 04, 2008 05:18PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems to be snow-balling. What I don't get is
> why would Alonso go to Honda? They've not improved
> much (position wise) since last year. They're not
> going to simply get up to the pace of Renault next
> year. I said at the end of last year that their
> problem was a massive one, and it was going to
> take 5+ years to get back to the position they
> were in. OK, the 2009 rules might help them, but
> they'll still be a million miles from regular
> points in my opinion.

Well alot of people asked the same question when he went to McLaren in 2007, Renault were easily the best team but McLaren were miles behind Ferrari and Renault and really were just seeming to fall further behind year after year, yet he still went to Macca. Could be the same situation here (Granted a bit more extreme though ;)) maybe Alonso see's potential at Honda that we ain't seeing :)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: August 04, 2008 05:25PM
Posted by: Bruninho
I do want Alonso with JB at Honda. But they must have equal status, I dont want to see Alonso crying again for a #1 status.

The reason why I want them together at Honda was well explained by Chet.

Good because I like to think JB could at least match Alonso, bad because I know if he doesnt then his career is over and it would be likley his time after would be very limited in F1.

Agreed. It would be the "now or never" or something like that for JB.

Although I would rather see JB in another team, and Alonso humiliating the Honda #17. Honda has been s*** lately, and JB is losing his career there. For all that Honda has done to destroy his career, they can f*** themselves, I am so pissed and disappointed with them and the way they do the things.

I would love to see JB in a Williams or in a Renault again. Honda has been a waste of time, really, mainly because the japanese have their own way to work on the things and they don't change it. The other teams are more open to changes and in most cases they do well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2008 05:27PM by Bruninho.
Date: August 04, 2008 05:42PM
On the face of it, neither Renault or Williams would be good moves for Jenson. He have had some bad years at BAR/Honda but if everything goes as it apparently should then it will be paid off. Renault have never really shown a long term committment to F1, and whilst Williams is still Frank and Patrick they will not be challenging, as sad enough as it is to say :(. Until Williams get alot more manufacturer backing or some big bucks I cant see them being in the top10. Look at this season as an example, pre-season I tipped Rosberg for a win or two, lucky maybe but it looked like the car had the pace, even in Aus they were quick, but ever since then they have lost it on development :(

It would be rather annoying for Alonso to get the #1 after all the years Button has spent here, but do you really think Alonso would go into a team without having #1 status??

Date: August 04, 2008 06:23PM
Posted by: Bruninho
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On the face of it, neither Renault or Williams
> would be good moves for Jenson. He have had some
> bad years at BAR/Honda but if everything goes as
> it apparently should then it will be paid off.
> Renault have never really shown a long term
> committment to F1, and whilst Williams is still
> Frank and Patrick they will not be challenging, as
> sad enough as it is to say :(. Until Williams get
> alot more manufacturer backing or some big bucks I
> cant see them being in the top10. Look at this
> season as an example, pre-season I tipped Rosberg
> for a win or two, lucky maybe but it looked like
> the car had the pace, even in Aus they were quick,
> but ever since then they have lost it on
> development :(
>
> It would be rather annoying for Alonso to get the
> #1 after all the years Button has spent here, but
> do you really think Alonso would go into a team
> without having #1 status??

Well, JB has nothing to lose in going to these teams if Alonso comes to Honda. Their pace is worse than Renault and Williams. Like you said, would Alonso go into a team without being the #1 driver? No. I personally would prefer to see JB in a Renault, I dont know where you saw that Renault havent shown a long term committment to F1...they will once their car is back to the top.

Date: August 04, 2008 08:07PM
Posted by: mikef1
Has Fernando really asked for No1 status in any of the teams he has been in? If so i would like to see the proof. Otherwise it's just another silly rumour.
Date: August 04, 2008 08:39PM
He probably didn't demand it, but he certainly expected it at Mclaren and he certainly will at Honda.
And why was it Heikki left Renault? Why not a Alonso - Heikki pairing? Would have been a formidable lineup.

Date: August 04, 2008 08:46PM
Posted by: gav
They wouldn't have let Heikki go just so they could keep Alonso for a season or two (knowing fine well he'd be off to Ferrari at the first opportunity) if they thought Heikki was going to get anywhere.
Date: August 04, 2008 08:49PM
I guess not but why didn't they keep him? You know aswell I do it would have been a much better move than to get Piquet in who probably would ahve been better off with another years testing?

Date: August 04, 2008 08:50PM
They wanted to bring in Nelson Piquet jr.

GPGSL career;
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy